Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yea, I made an offer 5 days left in the auction w\ no bids of $600+ shipping. I wasn't expecting them to accept it :p. Ebay seller is LNS motorsport, racing outfit in Knoxville. Great customer service, offered a return when they heard of my issue, or they said I could send it back at their cost and get the software version updated. - Suneet

·
Registered
431 Posts
So, the PCM 2.1 w/o nav is plug and play with my Bose CS? Also, do all PCM's have to be hooked up to the PIWIS in order to be operable? This isnt something that durametric can fix is it?

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It's definitely not a Durametric fix... if you have a Bose CS, any model of the PCM can be programmed to work with it but only a small range of units are made that are Bose only and those are probably the only ones that work without any PIWIS coding.

·
Registered
431 Posts
It's definitely not a Durametric fix... if you have a Bose CS, any model of the PCM can be programmed to work with it but only a small range of units are made that are Bose only and those are probably the only ones that work without any PIWIS coding.
Gotcha...thanks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
There are two types of PCM 2.1 , those with BOSE and those without. The part numbers are common across all 911 , Cayman and Boxster models. Porsche distinguish between Bose and non Bose models for a particular reason , so I would suggest its best to get a bose specced PCM if your car has bose or a non bose specced unit if you dont. Whilst all PCM units have the MOST bus capability to allow for CD changers , Navigation or phone modules to be added, i'm not convinced they all have the drivers for the bose amplifier. There are a number of revisions of PCM as the units have developed over the years and the firmware has been updated with options such as MP3 playback added. There are a number of tech bulletins on renntech that detail the differences in part numbers between Bose and non bose units , or you can check on the online parts catalogue. Typically its a value of 3 in the part number for the 9th digit that prescribes the unit as being a BOSE unit. eg 997 642 143 02 is a BOSE PCM , 997 642 141 02 is a non BOSE PCM 2.1 , both have MP3 capability and are version B level 3 software.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone, I would just like to add that I did the retrofit and own a 06 Cayman S, the PCM I used was part number 997.642.141.03 my CS already had the Bose package with subwoofer and after messing around with PIWIS and telling PCM that I have extrernal Bose Amp it worked right away. So it looks like Bose or non Bose most if not all PCM can be coded with PIWIS to work with any OEM Sound System configuration. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
That is incorrect. You can use just about any PCM in a Bose car, but require a very specific one if you have a non-Bose car. You happened to be on the lucky side.

Hello everyone, I would just like to add that I did the retrofit and own a 06 Cayman S, the PCM I used was part number 997.642.141.03 my CS already had the Bose package with subwoofer and after messing around with PIWIS and telling PCM that I have extrernal Bose Amp it worked right away. So it looks like Bose or non Bose most if not all PCM can be coded with PIWIS to work with any OEM Sound System configuration. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Would this suggest then that the NON bose PCM units have an internal amplifier to allow the speakers to be driven direct from the PCM , whereas BOSE enabled units do not ? The BOSE amplifier is part of the MOST loop, this is required by default on all 987 model vehicles to allow connection to the CD changer and the navigation module on PCM equipped cars.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dear PCM experienced gurus,

I have a Bose system from the factory with CDR24.

I plan to purchase a used PCM 2.1 code number 997.642.141.10

Will the PCM work plug and play or will PIWIS reprogramming be required?

I don't plan to add the Nav or CD changer

Thank you for your kind input

·
Registered
330 Posts
I believe the part number you have listed is non bose configured , but does have MP3 capability. ONLY a PWIS unit can recode the PCM to allow it to work with Bose , so its a trip to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Some of us didn't require a trip to the dealer either way. The PCMs sense what is on the bus pretty well. Taking it out of a bose car is a better bet, but it may not be required no matter which one you choose.

Much thanks Berty

So if I were to order a 997.642.143.xx (bose configured) - will a trip to the dealer still be required?

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Using an ancient for a current problem.

I have an '07 CS with Bose and CD changer. I just bought a used PCM 2.1 (997 642 143 02) and DVD unit. Yesterday I put in the head unit and nothing really happened. The screen stayed black for a couple of minutes, heard a couple of pops from the speakers and some CD drive whirring, then the Porsche logo came up, lasted about 5 seconds, then the screen went black again. Checked the fuse anyway and it's good. I will be putting in the DVD drive once my parts arrive next week.

My question is shouldn't the unit function as an audio unit or the screen have lit up with some function options without the DVD being hooked up?

I've ready several times where the install was done without the DVD but those folks either didn't have Bose or had Bose but no CD changer, and the PCM came right on. I haven't read anything where it was done with my configuration and no DVD. I am hoping that once the DVD is online this situation will go away. I really don't want to have to go the dealer for PIWIS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To revive an old discussion.

So can I conclude that I could replace by CDR24 in my Bose CS 987.1 with a Bose equipped PCM2.1? Any workshop with a PIWIS should be able to activate the PCM and CDC and Nav to work? Strange, I called a few indy's and they seem reluctant, suggesting a new aftermarket headunit.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
To revive an old discussion.

So can I conclude that I could replace by CDR24 in my Bose CS 987.1 with a Bose equipped PCM2.1? Any workshop with a PIWIS should be able to activate the PCM and CDC and Nav to work? Strange, I called a few indy's and they seem reluctant, suggesting a new aftermarket headunit.
Your money, but in re-reading a very old thread, I don't reach that same conclusion!

Not sure mind you but even if you did succeed it would still be a fairly old unit, why not go aftermarket?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your money, but in re-reading a very old thread, I don't reach that same conclusion!

Not sure mind you but even if you did succeed it would still be a fairly old unit, why not go aftermarket?
Basically, the path of least resistance. Everything, Bose amp, etc. remains intact and all I do is change the head unit, hopefully plug and play.

was just wondering if there were any updates since the last posting on the discussion. 😉

21 - 37 of 37 Posts