Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am creating a new thread to discuss the Jukebox function of the PCM. There are some older threads but seem to be version specific and out of date. Now that I've had my 2015 Cayman GTS for a couple of weeks, I can attest that PCM and it's Jukebox function are a bit quirky.

I have now loaded about 1100 tracks on to the Jukebox so far: all from a USB stick, all are properly tagged MP3 files
managed via MediaMonkey.

There are two main issues I have encountered thus far: Track Sequence Playback and Album Art.

Track Playback Sequence - This is the BIG problem for me! If you select and play an album directly from the USB stick, the songs will play in the correct sequence (original album order). If you import the very same files on to the Jukebox and then play the album through the Jukebox, the songs play in alphabetical order, not in album order! HOWEVER, if you use the Jukebox's browse folder function and play the album using that search method, it WILL play songs in the correct sequence!

My MP3 tags are all correct, including track number. My file naming convention is NN_TITLE.MP3 where NN is track number and TITLE is song title.

Given my file naming conventions, tracks would play in album order if the player simply played them alphabetically (01_*. 02_*, etc.) which is what I believe the Browse function does. Jukebox properly reads (at least some of) the MP3 tags as the track name, artist, and album are all displayed properly. My guess is that PCM plays tracks from USB in alphabetical order (which in essence IS album order given my filenaming convention) and Jukebox plays tracks in alpha order by the MP3 song title tag. When playing an album, Jukebox should play tracks in sequence as defined by the track number tag.

This problem is very frustrating. Yes I could use an iPod and probably solve this but my preference is to use the integrated Jukebox feature which otherwise works quite nicely.

Has anyone else been able to play tracks from an album in album sequence on the Jukebox?

Album Art - I've loaded all tracks from a USB stick which had folder hierarchy like this: AlbumArtist/Album/Songs. If the Album folder contained a folder.jpg file (the album art), the art will display on the PCM when using the Jukebox. Even though my MP3 files have artwork embedded as a tag, JukeBox still required the folder.jpg file to display the artwork. HOWEVER - when playing tracks directly from the USB stick, artwork will display if it is embedded in the file as a tag OR in the the folder as a folder.jpg file. Also, when browsing albums in a list, the artwork will display when browsing a USB stick but will not display when browsing a list in the Jukebox regardless of folder.jpg or not. Weird.

Would be nice for the artwork to display when browsing albums when the source files are on the Jukebox.

Any other observations related to PCM and Jukebox?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Use 'Track List' to do all your navigation, and the alphabetical-order problem will go away. Not sure about the album art; sometimes it shows up and sometimes it doesn't.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Welcome to Porsche Jukebox hell. Straight up...it's a POS, and no amount of tweaking by the end user will make it better.

Reactions: darcus

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use 'Track List' to do all your navigation, and the alphabetical-order problem will go away.
Please explain (I'm travelling and thus can't hop in the car to check). Doesn't Track List simply list the tracks from a given search (artist, album, etc.)? Or do you mean navigate through the folder hierarchy using Track List to get to that function? As I pointed out, when navigating through folder hierarchy, tracks will play in album order but I am unclear if this is a result of my filenaming conventions (TrackNumber_SongTitle.m3).

Not sure about the album art; sometimes it shows up and sometimes it doesn't.
For me, album artwork consistently displays on the now playing screen so long as the artwork was in a folder.jpg file when the tracks were first loaded from USB. The only inconsistency I have found thus far is display of artwork when browsing an album list: artwork never displays when doing this from Jukebox but always displays when doing same function from USB (folder.jpg files in both cases).

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to Porsche Jukebox hell. Straight up...it's a POS, and no amount of tweaking by the end user will make it better.
While I am frustrated by a few functions, I actually like the Jukebox. Wish it supported playlists but it does a good job overall. In comparison to the jukebox (HDD) on my 2014 Honda Odyssey, the Porsche unit is definitely superior.

Reactions: engnr1

·
Registered
24 Posts
I transferred a few thousand tracks over the weekend, yesterday it was working fine. This morning it got to a particular track and came up with the message "unable to play track".

Now the Jukebox is frozen with this error message displaying. I can't do anything except switch to another source (FM,AM,Satellite, etc). Ive tried everything, turning it off and restarting the car.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Please explain (I'm travelling and thus can't hop in the car to check). Doesn't Track List simply list the tracks from a given search (artist, album, etc.)? Or do you mean navigate through the folder hierarchy using Track List to get to that function? As I pointed out, when navigating through folder hierarchy, tracks will play in album order but I am unclear if this is a result of my filenaming conventions (TrackNumber_SongTitle.m3).
My tracks are numbered in a similar fashion (## Title of song.mp3, with spaces rather than underscores) and the jukebox still insisted on alphabetizing them by title, ignoring the track numbers. As a professional developer I can only assume management decisions and/or hard drugs were involved. I'd like to think that nobody who can program a computer is either stupid enough to do that on purpose or careless enough to do it by accident.

The only way I can get the songs to play in their correct order is to use the folder hierarchy accessible via the Track List button. Just pretend the album and artist buttons aren't there at all.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My tracks are numbered in a similar fashion (## Title of song.mp3, with spaces rather than underscores) and the jukebox still insisted on alphabetizing them by title, ignoring the track numbers. As a professional developer I can only assume management decisions and/or hard drugs were involved. I'd like to think that nobody who can program a computer is either stupid enough to do that on purpose or careless enough to do it by accident.

The only way I can get the songs to play in their correct order is to use the folder hierarchy accessible via the Track List button. Just pretend the album and artist buttons aren't there at all.
Your last paragraph in particular is very valuable. When using Jukebox, use the Track List button to navigate and tracks will be played in album order. Same thing can also be accomplished using the MFD and stalk/wheel.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not sure about the album art; sometimes it shows up and sometimes it doesn't.
PCM seems to access album art differently for USB vs. Jukebox. The Jukebox gets album add from the ID3 tag in the MP3 file, while USB will also display a 'folder.jpg' associated with the file. As I outlined in an earlier thread, I used MediaMonkey, to embed the album art in the ID3 tag of the MP3 file. Its a PITA -- but leads to consistency in album art, as the artwork is 'stuffed' into the MP3 file itself, rather than hanging around in associated folder.jpg files.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Since mid 2013 I've tried to figure out why the ART DISPLAY almost never happens. I consulted with my dealership who really put forth extra troubleshooting effort and they couldn't resolve why my Bose fails to display. They even copied my USB stick (no IPod music) then submitted to Atlanta corporate. Needless to say, corporate technical didn't even bother to respond which I find both inexcusable and appalling. Out of exhaustive frustration I've just given up and chalked it off as bad Porsche corporate customer service. I've owned 3 BMW's over the years and can rate them OUTSTANDING. It appears the European customer service standard is not applicable to all their manufacturers.

·
Registered
443 Posts
PCM Jukebox

I have a quick question regarding download of music to the internal hard drive before I waste a lot of time. If I download all my music folders in .wma format, does Jukebox recognize playlists in a Playlist folder created in Windows Media Player? I hope that is clear. My music collection and playlists were created in Windows Media Player. That resulted in a folder for each artist, and a folder containing playlists I have created. The Playlist folder seems to work on some players, but not others. Just curious if Jukebox recognizes them.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Re: PCM Jukebox

Keep me posted!

Also do you use album art?

·
Registered
8 Posts

It doesn't seem like Jukebox has any playlist support, which is ridiculous since they are supported fine on the USB source. Has anyone else had any other experience?

I get consistent display of all album art but it's probably because I embedded the album art in every track and don't rely on folder images etc. There are free utilities that will do this for your entire music collection, I use Album Art Fixer.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

It doesn't seem like Jukebox has any playlist support, which is ridiculous since they are supported fine on the USB source. Has anyone else had any other experience?

I get consistent display of all album art but it's probably because I embedded the album art in every track and don't rely on folder images etc. There are free utilities that will do this for your entire music collection, I use Album Art Fixer.
No I can't seem to get playlist support through the Jukebox either. Have not tried them on USB. Very odd that they would be supported via that interface but not via Jukebox. Is the manual silent on that?

Reactions: rcr

·
Registered
80 Posts

[h=2]It's disgraceful and inexcusable Bose art almost never displays via the jukebox or USB. This may be trivial to most Porsche owners but Atlanta corporate failure to resolve this has turned me off so badly I won't buy another Porsche. If Ford and much cheaper auto makers can get it to display what does that say about Porsche corporation?
[/h]

·
Registered
204 Posts
The best music playback experience is when I plug my iPhone in via the USB port.
The issues this pose are:
- Involves plugging in my phone and unplugging it each time. (This may sound minor, but I paid for Entry and Drive so I don't have to take the keys out of my pocket; I don't want to take my phone out of my pocket either
- If my passenger plugs in an iPhone to the USB port and I'm actively using an iPhone for Bluetooth Navigation, PCM switches to the hardwired iPhone and I can't use my Google Maps Nav. Basically, it only lets you connect to one phone at a time, which makes sense.

I really like the ability to browse through playlists when my iPhone is plugged in, and I absolutely hate that I don't have that feature when connected via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I bought a used iphone to replace my ipod and just leave in the car, and wirelessly update when it is parked but I can't get past the flaw in the ios USB interface that provides tracks in alphabetical order when playing all tracks for an artist. I just went back to my ipod for now, which sensibly plays tracks for an artist in album order.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Old thread I now, but I've got album art working pretty reliably it turns out the issue is the size of the art, it has to be less than a certain size otherwise it won't show up. Now here's the kicker I can't recall the size, I want to say it's 1000x1000 or less, but it might have been 800x800. I'd suggest looking at files that work and those that don't and find the difference. I found some tool that could resize the album art for many tracks, and it even will check all your tracks over and list the size, I was able to use it to find files that were too large and fix them, as well as find files which were I don't think it was Bliss but I'm not at that computer at the moment.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Old thread I now, but I've got album art working pretty reliably it turns out the issue is the size of the art, it has to be less than a certain size otherwise it won't show up. Now here's the kicker I can't recall the size, I want to say it's 1000x1000 or less, but it might have been 800x800. I'd suggest looking at files that work and those that don't and find the difference. I found some tool that could resize the album art for many tracks, and it even will check all your tracks over and list the size, I was able to use it to find files that were too large and fix them, as well as find files which were I don't think it was Bliss but I'm not at that computer at the moment.
Can't you just look at the files you uploaded to determine the size of the image that will work, we can wait until you are back to that computer! ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts