Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes, except the Key was in the PC at home as well, as I was working on it :)

The app I used is "Sanse MP3 Art Resizer"

I've got a lot of files I'm seeing a lot at 500x500 but several at 600x600, some quick searching says max size of the PCM system is 800x800

So there ya go, I'd still love to know if anyone can help me figure out how to make playlists working but I may end up having to bang against that a while myself

·
Registered
5 Posts
I successfully loaded several albums this morning via USB to the PCM Jukebox. I had used Windows Media Player, but realized I needed to down-convert my lossless .m4a files. Tried a few tools, but ultimately downloaded iTunes for free and "Added" the folders containing the lossless .m4a's. There was missing artwork on some albums and the iTunes "Get Album Artwork" didn't yield any fruit, so I downloaded nice .jpg's from an internet images search. The artwork is easily updated by right-mouse-clicking the album and selecting "Get Info". The last step was to open the free "MediaHuman Audio Converter" tool and drag the entire album from iTunes into the MH converter app. I selected "AAC(M4A) - stereo, 44100Hz, 256 kbps" in the pull down and designated an output folder in settings. Voila! The converter was fast...maybe 20-30 seconds for an entire album. I then organized the tracks into concisely-named folders and copied the folders to the USB drive. PCM played all the tracks beautifully with album artwork. From there, it was easy to transfer the tracks into the Jukebox. I was crying with how good the sound was...Bose with "surround" on. Another option I recommend is to select "Info> Details Jukebox" when tracks are playing for a full screen view. Note folder names longer than 32 characters will be truncated.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I successfully loaded several albums this morning via USB to the PCM Jukebox. I had used Windows Media Player, but realized I needed to down-convert my lossless .m4a files. Tried a few tools, but ultimately downloaded iTunes for free and "Added" the folders containing the lossless .m4a's. There was missing artwork on some albums and the iTunes "Get Album Artwork" didn't yield any fruit, so I downloaded nice .jpg's from an internet images search. The artwork is easily updated by right-mouse-clicking the album and selecting "Get Info". The last step was to open the free "MediaHuman Audio Converter" tool and drag the entire album from iTunes into the MH converter app. I selected "AAC(M4A) - stereo, 44100Hz, 256 kbps" in the pull down and designated an output folder in settings. Voila! The converter was fast...maybe 20-30 seconds for an entire album. I then organized the tracks into concisely-named folders and copied the folders to the USB drive. PCM played all the tracks beautifully with album artwork. From there, it was easy to transfer the tracks into the Jukebox. I was crying with how good the sound was...Bose with "surround" on. Another option I recommend is to select "Info> Details Jukebox" when tracks are playing for a full screen view. Note folder names longer than 32 characters will be truncated.
So do I even need to mess with iTunes, if I have MP3's in folders will this interface to the MediaHuman Audio Converter? I have no interest in setting foot into the Apple world.. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
So do I even need to mess with iTunes, if I have MP3's in folders will this interface to the MediaHuman Audio Converter? I have no interest in setting foot into the Apple world.. ;)
I'm not an audio expert nor am I a "mac" fan, however, I found it difficult in Windows Media Player to "burn" tracks to harddrive or to a thumbdrive. I did try to downconvert tracks with the Freemake Audio Conversion tool, but the free version was limited to tracks that were 3 minutes or less. I even tried a free online conversion tool, but conversion was slow and the audio quality was mediocre at best.

I like free and fast. My new process is to 1) Rip CD's using WMP, and ALAC lossless compression, 2) "Add" the folders to iTunes, 3) Drag each album to MH Audio Converter and write to my harddisk at stereo 44100Hz / 256 kbps. This way, I keep the best quality track on my harddrive and burn the lower quality tracks to a format PCM can play. The longest part of the process is downloading the tracks from CD. BTW - MH Audio Converter automatically found album art, but I can also tailor the art for the album in iTunes, a capability WMP is lacking. Unfortunately, MHAC is only compatible when dragging albums across form iTunes, not with WMP (I tried). It did, however, allow me to include tracks from disk, so maybe that could be a good no-iTunes work around.

As for MP3's...I don't see a problem with using the MP3's. I would check that the quality is decent ("properties" in WMP). Industry experts seem to recommend 320 kbps on MP3's, however, I noticed that my PCM would not read the lossless ALAC formatted tracks (~700+ kbps), so I'm not sure what level PCM is content with. None of my .m4a (AAC 256 kbps) had any problems. It seems that PCM was designed with Apple users in mind. Since a few owners complained about jukebox playback issues, I figured I'd keep it simple and use generally recognizable "Apple" formats.

Like I said... free and fast.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I'm not an audio expert nor am I a "mac" fan, however, I found it difficult in Windows Media Player to "burn" tracks to harddrive or to a thumbdrive. I did try to downconvert tracks with the Freemake Audio Conversion tool, but the free version was limited to tracks that were 3 minutes or less. I even tried a free online conversion tool, but conversion was slow and the audio quality was mediocre at best.

I like free and fast. My new process is to 1) Rip CD's using WMP, and ALAC lossless compression, 2) "Add" the folders to iTunes, 3) Drag each album to MH Audio Converter and write to my harddisk at stereo 44100Hz / 256 kbps. This way, I keep the best quality track on my harddrive and burn the lower quality tracks to a format PCM can play. The longest part of the process is downloading the tracks from CD. BTW - MH Audio Converter automatically found album art, but I can also tailor the art for the album in iTunes, a capability WMP is lacking. Unfortunately, MHAC is only compatible when dragging albums across form iTunes, not with WMP (I tried). It did, however, allow me to include tracks from disk, so maybe that could be a good no-iTunes work around.

As for MP3's...I don't see a problem with using the MP3's. I would check that the quality is decent ("properties" in WMP). Industry experts seem to recommend 320 kbps on MP3's, however, I noticed that my PCM would not read the lossless ALAC formatted tracks (~700+ kbps), so I'm not sure what level PCM is content with. None of my .m4a (AAC 256 kbps) had any problems. It seems that PCM was designed with Apple users in mind. Since a few owners complained about jukebox playback issues, I figured I'd keep it simple and use generally recognizable "Apple" formats.

Like I said... free and fast.
Thanks for the details, you have renewed my interest to load up the PCM for road trips and such... I had success in the past and although the process was free it was not fast! ;)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
How would I know if I have a hard drive/jukebox. I have the usb in my 981S glovebox ?
There will be a Jukebox choice in the list of media options shown on the PCM screen. So for example you would see AM, FM, SAT, JUKEBOX, AUX etc. in your list of available input sources.

·
Registered
156 Posts
For other windows based software checkout Media Monkey and Music Bee, they can both do things like custom rates for USB drives, renaming the tracks into an order to get them to play in sequence etc...

21 - 29 of 29 Posts