Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

PCM loses navigation & stereo settings

12K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  dougpaw57 
the dealer fixed the problem. it was not hardware but software. now separate settings are retained for each key when the car turned off, the key removed and then re-inserted.
Resurrecting this thread in the hope that the OP might see my interest, or maybe someone else might have the answer! I have exactly this problem (as described above by both lotusfla and Dkgli) - the PCM not 'remembering' the last-used settings and reverting to factory-settings when keying-off; this on a car without memory seats and hence without the Auto Memory function. My dealer is out of ideas and yet it seems the answer is settings or software based...

Can anyone (particularly lotusfla who managed to get his car fixed) shed any light?

James

I just wanted to close the loop on my experience with this issue (my posts start at #5 above). The short story is that when I brought my BS in for annual service, I told the service writer about the issue of the PCM losing audio and map settings, and stated that I had read that this was a programming issue. When I got the car back, the problem was indeed fixed and he told me that it just needed to be reprogrammed.

I think here is the key symptom; when I got the car, every time I started it the bottom line of the PCM said something about reading the settings for key #1. My car does not have the settings memory. I no longer see that message when the car is started and the settings are remembered, so all good now.
Thank you very much, Dgkli, for your latest update - that is very helpful. The symptoms are exactly what I (and now another 981 owner in the UK) are experiencing - the PCM is "looking for" comfort memory settings and when none exist, it resets to defaults settings.

I've made no progress with the local Porsche centres here in the UK who have so far been unable to identify what 'reprogramming' is needed. Can I ask whether your service administrator might be able to tell you in a little more detail exactly what reprogramming was carried out, so I can give some guidance to the Porsche service technicians back here? I'm really stuck on this one, so any further information or guidance would really help - and if it's in a form or language that my local Porshe technician would understand then so much the better!

Hope you might be able to help here; so frustrating to be so close to the fix and yet so far from being able to have it done!

Thanks, James

I will try to find out more. I'm pretty sure the work order just showed "programming." The service advisor actually first told me that they had "updated" the PCM, then later that they had "programmed" it. I tried to get more specifics hoping to post them here, but I didn't get any--I will ask again. This isn't the only part of my service that he was vague about; I was just glad to have all my issues addressed properly, which they seem to have been.
Many thanks for that offer. We're on the right track and tantalisingly close - I think we just need to know what the programming step was that turned off comfort (or seat) memory... Just an idea - maybe your Service Advisor might ask your Service Technician what he actually did - a few words of explanation from him will probably get us home and dry!

Glad you got your other issues solved. And apologies that I'm having to reply with your own post included as a quote; I seem to have lost the vanilla-flavoured reply button.

James

Many thanks for that offer. We're on the right track and tantalisingly close - I think we just need to know what the programming step was that turned off comfort (or seat) memory... Just an idea - maybe your Service Advisor might ask your Service Technician what he actually did - a few words of explanation from him will probably get us home and dry!

Glad you got your other issues solved. And apologies that I'm having to reply with your own post included as a quote; I seem to have lost the vanilla-flavoured reply button.

James
Hi Dgkli - Just wondering whether you were able to make any progress with this? Would be so helpful to know more detail about the 'reprogramming' that cleared the fault a number of us are wrestling with!

Thanks - James
J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.