Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

PCM loses navigation & stereo settings

12K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  dougpaw57 
#1 ·
The PCM on my CPO 2013 BS without memory seats loses some of the navigation and stereo settings after turning the car off. The guidance volume, map preferences, stereo settings for the balance, fader, etc are not recalled after the car is shut off and restarted. When the car is restarted the display shows a message "calling up settings for key 1" but the navi and stereo settings always reset to default, not where they were last set when the car was turned off. There is no auto-memory setting to check in the settings menu to enable this function. The car has been at the dealer for the past 10 days, fortunately under warranty. They reset the PCM, replaced the PCM (Ouch$!$) and said the memory settings for the key DID work properly but when they installed the latest map software the memory function for each key no longer worked. The dealer is clueless and they have escalated this to Porsche NA. Anyone with a similar situation?

Discussion starter · #3 ·
When did the problem start? Had similar issues with a different version of the PCM (in a 2017 Macan S), which seemed to be the result of a software update that was unsuccessful. The system would always revert to defaults. After a few trips to the dealer, they reset all the software and re-applied the latest updates and now everything works as expected. No new PCM was needed in this case.
I have had the car since September 20016 and this has been an issue since I've had the car and I don't know if this has been an issue before I had the car. The dealer has reset the software and installed the latest software. I'm picking up the car in the morning, fixed or not.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
I have had the car since September 20016 and this has been an issue since I've had the car and I don't know if this has been an issue before I had the car. The dealer has reset the software and installed the latest software. I'm picking up the car in the morning, fixed or not.
The dealer replaced the PCM with a remanufactured unit. They said it worked correctly intermittently until they updated the NAV software and now it is as it was before the PCM was replaced. They tried a software patch that didn't solve the problem. Now they are waiting on the Porsche zone rep to approve replacing the PCM with a new (non-refurb) unit. I have a cayenne loaner but i miss my boxster and I am not convinced a new PCM will solve the problem.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
the dealer fixed the problem. it was not hardware but software. now separate settings are retained for each key when the car turned off, the key removed and then re-inserted. they had the car for a total of 2 1/2 weeks and damaged the leather on the steering wheel which they have owned up to but we haven't resolved that issue yet.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
The dealership reprogrammed the PCM and that fixed the problem (after first replacing the PCM) after having the car for 3 weeks. James, I will send pictures of the PCM settings to you by your email. Hope this will help.
Dgkli PM me your email and i can send you the same.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Many thanks for that offer. We're on the right track and tantalisingly close - I think we just need to know what the programming step was that turned off comfort (or seat) memory... Just an idea - maybe your Service Advisor might ask your Service Technician what he actually did - a few words of explanation from him will probably get us home and dry!

Glad you got your other issues solved. And apologies that I'm having to reply with your own post included as a quote; I seem to have lost the vanilla-flavoured reply button.

James
let me jump in again as the original poster. the replaced PCM worked fine for 14 months but the new issue was the PCM would reset while playing music files on a memory stick in the USB port. The PCM would reset randomly with while using different memory sticks and MP3 files. The memory sticks would work fine in my other car. The dealer updated the software and that fixed this issue (I hope).

Discussion starter · #18 ·
let me jump in again as the original poster. the replaced PCM worked fine for 14 months but the new issue was the PCM would reset while playing music files on a memory stick in the USB port. The PCM would reset randomly with while using different memory sticks and MP3 files. The memory sticks would work fine in my other car. The dealer updated the software and that fixed this issue (I hope).
today's update:

after the PCM software update the music files on the memory stick don't cause the PCM to reset but the navigation will randomly go dark and i have a black screen with the song ID showing until it refreshes.

Back to the dealer...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.