Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hope 2016 units are better;). I don't have a dealer anywhere close, and since all are in a different state, no loaner for me. Hope my car is not saddled with something like this. But made the decision to buy it knowing it's possible. Even after driving it for only 100 miles so far, it was a good decision. He he. Good luck, and hopefully that was it. Wonder what could have been wrong with it. How many miles on your car? I assume you have Bose, right?
I think mileage is irrelevant but it has 10,000 miles on it. The car is 8 months old. Only the last 2000 are miles I put on it. Yes, it's Bose and it's the upgraded PCM with Nav.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I think mileage is irrelevant but it has 10,000 miles on it. The car is 8 months old. Only the last 2000 are miles I put on it. Yes, it's Bose and it's the upgraded PCM with Nav.
Mileage is always relevant;). But you answered a question I forgot to ask: You bought it used. Previous owner could have accidentally spilled water, hit it, or whatever; you never know. And the reason I asked is if there was something really wrong with your unit for no justifiable reason (rare, for what I've read), that means nobody else is likely to experience that before 10K miles. And it will take me about 2 years to put that mileage on my car, so it'd be less of a shock on a 2-yr old car than 8-months. Ha ha. Thanks for your answers, and hope it'll never happen again. At least you have a local dealer and gave you a loaner. I honestly wouldn't mind that much under those circumstances. Take care.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Mileage is always relevant;). But you answered a question I forgot to ask: You bought it used. Previous owner could have accidentally spilled water, hit it, or whatever; you never know. And the reason I asked is if there was something really wrong with your unit for no justifiable reason (rare, for what I've read), that means nobody else is likely to experience that before 10K miles. And it will take me about 2 years to put that mileage on my car, so it'd be less of a shock on a 2-yr old car than 8-months. Ha ha. Thanks for your answers, and hope it'll never happen again. At least you have a local dealer and gave you a loaner. I honestly wouldn't mind that much under those circumstances. Take care.
Sorry but I'll disagree about the mileage having any discernible effect on the PCM aside from hours running. Sure, a car with 1000 miles on it in 8 months hasn't had the radio on much but it's quite possible someone with 4000 miles could have more hours on the radio than my 10000 miles car simply by virtue of where they live and how they use the car.

Regardless, yes, I purchased the car "used" but am listed as the first owner! How does that happen, you might ask. Well, it was a PCNA regional rep's car, it was driven on manufacturers plates and never titled for the first 5 months of it's life. Sure, the regional rep may have spilled something in it but he hasn't had the car since August and water spills usually destroy the radio within days of happening. Oh, and part of the diagnostics Porsche required for approval was inspection of the radio to rule out water intrusion, they found none. The car was also CPO certified and the dealership I purchased from was also the servicing dealer for the rep. The car was not damaged prior to my taking delivery.

Not to throw water on your enthusiasm but the main reason Porsche didn't immediately approve the claim is due to a fairly high number of PCM failures over the last 6 months nationally. My dealer in Orlando has replaced 3 in the last 2 months, I'm his 4th, that's a HUGE number of failures for such a small number of cars sold.

I think it's a Harman defect, not Porsche and Porsche is doing everything they can to prove that and get Harman to step up which is why they needed to isolate the other systems in my car from this PCM.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly wouldn't avoid buying a Porsche because of this issue, it is still rather isolated and they are constantly doing software updates to stabilize the units. Just don't be blind to the fact it might happen regardless how careful you are. It might also happen in your Chevy, Ford or Chrysler......

Oh, and I don't see how living out of state prevents them from giving you a loaner car. I signed nothing that prevents me from taking my loaner to any state I want. I just can't take it to Mexico...... The main reason I have a loaner is because I live 50 miles away (and I purchased a $90,000 car, that should come with some percs!!!!!)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Oh, and I don't see how living out of state prevents them from giving you a loaner car. I signed nothing that prevents me from taking my loaner to any state I want.
That I know for a fact neither ALB (NM) or Tucson (AZ) dealer allow to cross their loaner vehicles across state lines into El Paso, TX, where I live. Why? I don't know. Maybe because it's over 300 miles away, meaning at least 600 miles on their loaners? Probably, as I doubt there would be any insurance issue. THAT's why I hesitated to buy a Porsche all this time... until I had no other viable sports car choice;). Hope I never need a loaner, although just found out my window doesn't stay up when closed with the auto-up feature:(. At least I can close it with just up (1 click), but you can hear the motor struggling to fully close it, like it's going up too far (30 miles on odo). Oh well. Will call service dept in Chicago on Monday and see if there's a way to index the darn thing, but am suspecting the physical limiters inside the doors weren't adjusted properly. Can't believe the factory or dealer didn't catch that, but hope that's the only problem I have. I can live with that though, but a bit disappointing. Also the car unlocks the doors when switching engine off, even though they're not locked (turned auto-lock feature off). Weird. Take care.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
That I know for a fact neither ALB (NM) or Tucson (AZ) dealer allow to cross their loaner vehicles across state lines into El Paso, TX, where I live. Why? I don't know. Maybe because it's over 300 miles away, meaning at least 600 miles on their loaners? Probably, as I doubt there would be any insurance issue. THAT's why I hesitated to buy a Porsche all this time... until I had no other viable sports car choice;). Hope I never need a loaner, although just found out my window doesn't stay up when closed with the auto-up feature:(. At least I can close it with just up (1 click), but you can hear the motor struggling to fully close it, like it's going up too far (30 miles on odo). Oh well. Will call service dept in Chicago on Monday and see if there's a way to index the darn thing, but am suspecting the physical limiters inside the doors weren't adjusted properly. Can't believe the factory or dealer didn't catch that, but hope that's the only problem I have. I can live with that though, but a bit disappointing. Also the car unlocks the doors when switching engine off, even though they're not locked (turned auto-lock feature off). Weird. Take care.
Ok, so 300 miles is excessive but if something serious were to need repairing you could probably arraign something with an unlimited mileage rental. Regardless it sucks.

For the window, page 61 or 62 of your manual has the procedure to reset the window.

image.jpg

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Reactions: mjw930

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
For the window, page 61 or 62 of your manual has the procedure to reset the window.
Thanks a lot man; will try it and see what happens. The good news is I don't open the windows much on my cars, so not a big deal. But the way this damn thing sounds with PSE on, I want to open them more. Ha ha.
EDIT: IT WORKED man; many thanks. And I went thru that section, but thought if the auto-up function is already working, they were reset. Have to think differently with the Germans. But boy, am I glad they're different. Ha ha. After doing that, a few seconds later, heard either the window or door lock actuators again, trying to unlock the already unlock doors, or like checking if the windows are fully closed or something. Hopefully normal. I'm remembering reading something about if you don't unlock the switch with the interior button, something like that would happen )??). But those are just idiosyncrasies of the car, so not worried at all. Just learning all about it. It's going to take me a few more days to read the entire manuals. Thanks a million again. Will post on my thread. Guess I started it for nothing.

Hey, the reason I said mileage matters with the PCM is it's always on man. And it was the same with BMW. Pressing the 'on/off' button merely mutes it. Still have to reach the part of the manual that shows how to turn it off. Or at least the screen off. I've been able to work it without manual for the most part, but will need the manual for the details. I'm glad I bought this thing; it feels phenomenal. Hard to describe how it feels to drive it. Hope everybody had an awesome weekend.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hopefully final update:

Porsche approved the replacement last Thursday and surprisingly the replacement showed up Saturday. They installed it Monday and I picked it up Tuesday. So far so good with one exception.

Apparently the updated firmware has an interesting "feature" that probably works well in Europe where their FM stations honor the RDS standards but not so well here. When I tune to a station that's using an ancient RDS spec (most US stations) and attempt to save it the button saves whatever is in the RDS station field at that moment. It's usually the song title, not the station call sign or frequency. Basically you have to wait until the station call sign is in the display and quickly hold down the button. The RDS off option doesn't work because we don't use the proper RDS standard, you still get the slow scroll sent on the carrier signal. It's somewhat comical.

I suppose I'll call the dealer and see if it's working as expected ;)

The software version is 4.75.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2015 GT3 with 800 miles on it. Went to the dealer almost 6 months ago. Waiting for a part was all I got so I lit some fires under some butts. Will bring the car in for more tests Monday and if a new radio is needed they will have it within a week. Reboots about once a min. Work around for me was to lower the volume all the way once it booted, shut the car off and wait a few min. Still re boots but with the volume off, not as annoying. No NAV or anything else, just radio.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re boots no matter what. Set it to aux and it will re boot to radio.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Add me to the list. In my case I had my original Porsche dealer retrofit a PCM into my car (I just had the stock GTS unit). Cost more than $5k USD for the work and less than a year later it was rebooting every five minutes like the OPs. It took two weeks of calls with Germany and three attempts but a different dealership got the "correct" PCM and the install was successful. Not a trivial exercise. I hope it never fails again, but if it does outside of warrantee I'm going to go aftermarket.

Software version is 4.76.

·
Registered
310 Posts
About a week ago the PCM in my 8 month old BGTS started to spontaneously reboot. It also refused to pipe phone audio through and display maps. Took it in and luckily it failed for the tech who documented it, followed all the diagnostics Porsche requires and has forwarded it off to PCNA. The part that sucks, they can't replace it until Stutgart reviews the diagnostics! Now I get to put up with a $90000 car that can't even play a radio station for more than 5 minutes at a time. Hell, I turn the unit off (I know it's never really off) and 5 minutes later it reboots and starts blaring music.

I understand things break but making the customer wait while Germany reviews the claim for a piece of electronics that the dealer SHOULD be able to get from a warehouse overnight SUCKS. The dealer is sympathetic but it's a $4000 part so they can't do anything until the claim is approved. Now I wait..........

Reactions: kludger

·
Registered
4 Posts
Saturday May 23, 2020. I just got off the phone with my Austin TX Porsche dealer. When I asked for service, she said, "Are you having PCM problems?" I was astonished, and said I was. She said Porsche autos AROUND THE WORLD are having PCM re-boot problems due to a global network upgrade by XM Satellite radio. She did not elaborate.

She forwarded me an email from the local Austin Porsche service group. Essentially, the instructions are to do a hard reset of the PCM, i.e. a Vehicle Handover reset. This does kill all your radio pre-sets, addresses in Nav, and phone number list. A small price to pay to fix this very annoying problem for $0.00.

That is all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This worked for me.

Press and hold the Info button.
Radio reboots
Press car button
Select Option
Select Set PCM System
Select Reset PCM
Select Vehicle Handover
Select Yes
Select Yes

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did the suggested reset and it worked for a while. Then today the PCM starts rebooting again. I did the car handover but hopefully they come out with a more solid fix .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem, did the reset twice and it finally took. Had to notify XM to have them resend signal. Hopefully when XM does their next update this will be fixed so it doesn’t repeat..thanks for the fix guys👍

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here in Houston, TX. Visited Porsche Momentum and they said it was due to Sirius XM latest release and Porsche can not do anything... After talking to XM and having the car activated again they declared the radio is functioning well. Called Porsche again and they let me knwo they just received an e-mail centrally how to reste PCM (as discribed above) and it worked. It was last Thursday, no reboot since resetting.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Same here in Houston, TX. Visited Porsche Momentum and they said it was due to Sirius XM latest release and Porsche can not do anything... After talking to XM and having the car activated again they declared the radio is functioning well. Called Porsche again and they let me knwo they just received an e-mail centrally how to reste PCM (as discribed above) and it worked. It was last Thursday, no reboot since resetting.
I had the same problem and this worked for me. I haven't set up XM again, so fingers crossed!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts