Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

First post. I've searched here and on google, but haven't found an answer yet. I'm shopping for a new to me Cayman and have driven several. The car I want doesn't seem to be all that common on the used car market, or at least in not my area (Sacramento, CA). I'm looking for a guards red, preferably an S model, 2009 or newer, and a stick shift. I'd also like one with tan interior, with heated and ventilated seats, but other interior colors would work for me.

Since there aren't many out there with these options, I've also driven a couple with the PDK transmission and noticed that the pre-2013 PDK seemed a little "clunkier" than the newer cars I've driven. I've tried 3 different 987.2 PDK equipped cars and each one seemed to shift slower and also seemed to be less likely to downshift when applying throttle, compared to the 981's I've driven.

Is there a different version of PDK in the 981, is it just the increased power of the newer engine, or am I crazy?

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Not your imagination. There was an updated version of PDK which started with the 981 series of cars I believe. Someone with more knowledge might be able to chime in with details.

Reactions: wagzhp

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Caymancouver. I was hopeful that it wasn't just in my head. Based on this information, I'm thinking I need to stick with a manual unless I can find a 981 in my price comfort zone. (And even with a 981 I'd rather have a manual, but the newer PDK would be an acceptable compromise.)

If anyone has more details on whatever was updated on the newer PDK, I'd love to hear about it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did the 987's you drove have sport chrono? That might fix up your issues with their shifting, and can be added after later (though it's $$$). Might be worth driving one to see if it helps. You will probably have slightly better luck finding a 981 though as the 987.2 was only produced during the worst of the recession and as a consequence did not sell very well, making them some of the lowest production numbers of all the boxsters / caymans over the years. There were only around 5,000 987.2 caymans sold in total, compared to about 3,500 a year for the 981.

·
Registered
628 Posts
on my car in a Sport mode no issues whatsoever with shifting.
Every time i upshift or downshift it happens immediately and smooth.
After recent PDK fluid change gera chenges became almost perfectly seamless.
Spot Plus mode i use i never use on street.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've tried 3 different 987.2 PDK equipped cars and each one seemed to shift slower and also seemed to be less likely to downshift when applying throttle, compared to the 981's I've driven.
It's my understanding the PDK tries to anticipate the next gear based on throttle position. Apply throttle the PDK anticipates the next higher gear. Noted in your message applying throttle and downshifting will cause the PDK logic additional time to select the next lower gear.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Croc - I'm curious, did you change the PDK fluid yourself or did you have someone do it?

Rich
The procedure requires PIWIS - so I did it at the dealer's.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
other than mechanical condition on 987, PDK shifting can be affected by:
- quality/age of clutch fluid
- usual driving pattern/who drove it last & now
- if the system has been reset recently e.g during service
- software control version (apparently there were some updates)
- quality of fuel in system (higher/lower RON)

On the 987 there is no coasting and the transmission feels very connected to the driving experience (to me it adds to the driving experience).
PDK is a great transmission especially if you're using the car as a daily driver.

Here are some threads worth reading if you're keen on others views in comparison to the 981:
http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/71844-981-boxster-s-pdk-vs-987-2-boxster-s-pdk-2.html
http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-chat/86642-987-vs-981-pdk.html

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did the 987's you drove have sport chrono? That might fix up your issues with their shifting, and can be added after later (though it's $$$). Might be worth driving one to see if it helps. You will probably have slightly better luck finding a 981 though as the 987.2 was only produced during the worst of the recession and as a consequence did not sell very well, making them some of the lowest production numbers of all the boxsters / caymans over the years. There were only around 5,000 987.2 caymans sold in total, compared to about 3,500 a year for the 981.
Nope, haven't found one with PDK and sportcrono to drive yet, 987 or 981. But still looking...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
on my car in a Sport mode no issues whatsoever with shifting.
Every time i upshift or downshift it happens immediately and smooth.
After recent PDK fluid change gera chenges became almost perfectly seamless.
Spot Plus mode i use i never use on street.
I should clarify, manually shifting seemed fine, crisp and quick. I was referring to auto or sport auto mode not being as responsive as the 981.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
other than mechanical condition on 987, PDK shifting can be affected by:
- quality/age of clutch fluid
- usual driving pattern/who drove it last & now
- if the system has been reset recently e.g during service
- software control version (apparently there were some updates)
- quality of fuel in system (higher/lower RON)

On the 987 there is no coasting and the transmission feels very connected to the driving experience (to me it adds to the driving experience).
PDK is a great transmission especially if you're using the car as a daily driver.

Here are some threads worth reading if you're keen on others views in comparison to the 981:
http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/71844-981-boxster-s-pdk-vs-987-2-boxster-s-pdk-2.html
http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-chat/86642-987-vs-981-pdk.html
Thanks for the links. Those confirmed what I suspected.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I should clarify, manually shifting seemed fine, crisp and quick. I was referring to auto or sport auto mode not being as responsive as the 981.

With sports chrono and in 'sport plus' mode - manual shifting also gets done faster and is way more responsive than doing manual shifting in regular or 'sport' mode.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.