Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How easy is to replace the PDK buttons on the steering wheel with paddles?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Assuming your car is a 987/997 variant, the simplest and least expensive method is to replace the button steering wheel with a compatible paddle version. Used paddle wheels come up for sale pretty often and cost around $600. I've done this upgrade on my 987.2 and love it!

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Olegd,

Sorry but forgot to mention that it would be on a 981 CS, but I am assuming that it should be similar than the 987, thanks!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yes, should be very similar. There are some threads on this here and on rennlist. I am surprised Porsche was still installing button wheels in the 981 models!

·
Registered
92 Posts
There are accessory companies in the Porsche world who have a gadget that clips over (or replaces) the actual steering whee buttons with paddles so you don’t need to replace the wheel, would be a lot easier for you. Can’t recall which company but looked good. Cheers Les

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bought the wheel from Suncoast and had the dealer do it, took them an hour or so to take care of. You can also upgrade to a heated wheel if you want but you have to get a new "clock spring" for the wheel as well. There's plenty of threads either here or rennlist on people doing it, even some youtube videos. The airbag will pop right in.

·
Registered
516 Posts
There are accessory companies in the Porsche world who have a gadget that clips over (or replaces) the actual steering whee buttons with paddles so you don’t need to replace the wheel, would be a lot easier for you. Can’t recall which company but looked good. Cheers Les

I’ve been looking for these but have been unable to find them. Any leads would be appreciated.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Go onto the Techart website

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just some feedback. I had the Techart paddles installed on my 981. The stupid buttons were driving me insane. Cant believe Porsche is still using this.
It is the best cost effective and functional alternative if you have the multifunction steering.
The dealer did it. It took him almost 2 hours. The steering was not easy to take appart and some o ring of the new kit are really small/tricky to install.
but at the end I got myself a real shifter!

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
any pictures on this would be appreciated
I wanted to go with TechArt, but read somewhere that they feel plastic and cheap. There is one thread on planet-9 about installing AMG paddles on Porsche steering wheel. I ordered AMG paddles from Merc dealership, and I will go with that. Much cheaper option and higher quality if done properly. If I f**k something up, I'll just buy used steering wheel with paddle shifters :).
If you are considering installing shift paddles, take look at this link, you may find it interesting. I know that this is done on old steering wheel with tiptronic transmission, but should be similar as for PDK.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts