Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the PDK is starting its 3rd model year, I'm curious how owners feel about its durability. I follow the Maserati and Ferrari forums and, for the Maserati particularly, their F1 auto (seems nearest to PDK) gets very mixed reports.

The forum is full of threads about clutch life and lack of to the point there are threads about "preservation strategies". Such as: coast to stops in neutral (although they are high performance cars, don't downshift too much due to wear) and avoid reverse (who wants to back out of their garage or park?). The costs for replacement and about relatively low mileage before needing one get continual discussion.

As the PDK is a double clutch, how have our Porsche's with them been holding up? Maybe it's too early in the product's life to get a read.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Although I haven't driven a PDK car or even own a Porsche (yet), I do own an Audi A3 with the DSG transmission. As far as I can tell DSG and PDK and fairly similar. VAG has had some issues with certain model year DSGs and provides an extended warranty for those cars. I went from a 6 speed manual to the DSG and figured I'd either learn how to use it or just trade the car. After about 18 months I definitely like the DSG and drive it in any of the available modes full auto, part auto and sport mode. It's like shifting without lifting. You can shift as quickly as possible.
I drove a 6 speed Cayman recently and didn't mind the manual gear changes, but I've grown accustomed to using the paddle shifters on the wheel and don't know if I'm interested in going back although I am quite smitten with the Cayman so I might regress to a manual until a PDK is in my price range.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I think it will take many more "mile-years" for a long term verdict, but the complaints about PDK so far have been largely software related. A small number have been pulled and sent back to Porsche based on internet reporting, but far fewer in comparison to the early 2.5L 986 porous case engine failures. Now that the Turbo and Turbo S (500+ HP) are available w/ PDK it certainly suggests that Porsche has confidence in the transmission. Porsche sells many more cars than Ferrari and on average to a less affluent customer base. Porsche simply cannot afford to dump tens of thousands of dollars in transmission repair costs on its customers and hope to survive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
by just looking at the design of the PDK, it looks like 2 small trans put together, which i'm not sure if it can handle as much power as a 6 speed if u looking into some serious mods. But i think for normal driving and occasional track event, it should last longer since you can't really miss shift on it. I would love to own one if i can afford a new CS tho.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
by just looking at the design of the PDK, it looks like 2 small trans put together, which i'm not sure if it can handle as much power as a 6 speed if u looking into some serious mods. But i think for normal driving and occasional track event, it should last longer since you can't really miss shift on it. I would love to own one if i can afford a new CS tho.
Porsche would probably disagree with you, considering that the PDK is available on the 997.2 Turbo, which puts out 500hp.

Also, the 1001hp Bugatti Veyron comes only with a dual-clutch transmission, as does the new Ferrari 458 Italia.

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
I'm sure like anything there are good and bad ones that roll out of the factory but for the most part it seems that they've been pretty good as there don't seem to be any systemic problems like those you describe for Maserati (which is a shame if really a high % since those cars sound/look so nice) :)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I'd love to know what the replacement cost is, when its time for a new clutch?
How many hours of labor? Parts (two clutches)? Interval between clutch replacement.

When similar systems first came out in the Gallardo, they weren't getting 25,000 miles before they needed a new clutch. I haven't followed Lambo lately but I think it was SW related?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Porsche would probably disagree with you, considering that the PDK is available on the 997.2 Turbo, which puts out 500hp.
I believe the poster was referring to a serious, turbo?, increase on the 6 speed Cayman/Boxster model which does not have the same PDK internals. Has TPC put a turbo on a PDK Cayman?

I'd love to know what the replacement cost is, when its time for a new clutch?
At the present time my understanding is you get a new/rebuilt trans not a set of clutch plates. The last I heard a new box is around the $14,000 mark.

My perspective for durability is that I have over 13,000 miles, three three day track weekends (2 more scheduled) and haven't had a glitch. I do not drive it easy.

If I had to do a coast to coast round trip in a Cayman with PDK or a dual clutch Ferrari with all repair costs out of my pockets I wouldn't blink before choosing the Cayman.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Also, the 1001hp Bugatti Veyron comes only with a dual-clutch transmission, as does the new Ferrari 458 Italia.
i have no doubt about the dual clutch tranny, in face, i would love to have one. but as far as i know, all the 600+ whp porsche i have seem are on 6 speed or built tranny. And i doubt that the Veyron has the same size gears as cayman ...

PDK would probably be alot better for those drag racing cars but there gotta be a reason why ppl choose 6 over PDK, and i would love to see how it holds up in a 600+whp turbo.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I recently spoke to a G.M.G. tuner that told me, if you plan on seriously mod'ing your car that the (tiptronic - 2008) transmission would not be able to handle it. Now that was a non-pdk but other than that my tip has been repair free (30,000mle). On the other hand, I just don't like the whole gas saving theory behind the programming/gearing of it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I recently spoke to a G.M.G. tuner that told me, if you plan on seriously mod'ing your car that the (tiptronic - 2008) transmission would not be able to handle it. Now that was a non-pdk but other than that my tip has been repair free (30,000mle). On the other hand, I just don't like the whole gas saving theory behind the programming/gearing of it.
did the tuner tell you excatly why a tip can't handle much power? the only problem i have with my tip is i feel the throttle response is horrible, which can be fix with softronic or springbooster i believe.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
i have no doubt about the dual clutch tranny, in face, i would love to have one. but as far as i know, all the 600+ whp porsche i have seem are on 6 speed or built tranny.
How many 600+ whp production Porsches have you seen? As far as I know, the ones are the Carrera GT, and production was stopped on that model before PDK came out for production Porsche cars, and the new GT2 RS. And it's rumored that now that the PDK transmission has showed up in 997 Turbo models, the GT3 and GT2 are the next to receive PDK.

PDK would probably be alot better for those drag racing cars but there gotta be a reason why ppl choose 6 over PDK, and i would love to see how it holds up in a 600+whp turbo.
Some people choose the 6MT over PDK not because of reliability, but because of personal preference. Some prefer to actuate a clutch pedal and shift gears themselves; it makes them feel more connected to the car and they are williing to sacrifice the performance advantage a PDK has over a manual for that feeling.

PDK isn't really a new transmission. It's been in the Porsche 956 and 962 race cars back in the 1980's, and in production cars it's purported to be just as or even more reliable than the requisite manual transmission, especially since the clutches are multi-plate wet clutches rather than the dry friction clutches in the 6MT.

And finally, does it really matter? I doubt 99.9% of us here will ever own (or want) a 600+ hp car, let alone a 600+ hp Porsche. Are you planning to modify your car's engine that much? If so, you will need to worry about a LOT more things on your car failing in addition to your transmission.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
How many 600+ whp production Porsches have you seen? As far as I know, the ones are the Carrera GT, and production was stopped on that model before PDK came out for production Porsche cars, and the new GT2 RS. And it's rumored that now that the PDK transmission has showed up in 997 Turbo models, the GT3 and GT2 are the next to receive PDK.

Some people choose the 6MT over PDK not because of reliability, but because of personal preference. Some prefer to actuate a clutch pedal and shift gears themselves; it makes them feel more connected to the car and they are williing to sacrifice the performance advantage a PDK has over a manual for that feeling.

PDK isn't really a new transmission. It's been in the Porsche 956 and 962 race cars back in the 1980's, and in production cars it's purported to be just as or even more reliable than the requisite manual transmission, especially since the clutches are multi-plate wet clutches rather than the dry friction clutches in the 6MT.

And finally, does it really matter? I doubt 99.9% of us here will ever own (or want) a 600+ hp car, let alone a 600+ hp Porsche. Are you planning to modify your car's engine that much? If so, you will need to worry about a LOT more things on your car failing in addition to your transmission.
+1 That nail was squarely hit.;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
did the tuner tell you exactly why a tip can't handle much power? the only problem i have with my tip is i feel the throttle response is horrible, which can be fix with softronic or springbooster i believe.
Nava, all he said was that the tork , weight, and positioning already placed on the tip is a lot. He didn't say, how much, is considered too much. And as far as throttle response, I do have the evoms flash on it. I wonder if there's a thread on the difference between flashes. If I could just figure that out I would be completely satisfied with the tipronic. I wouldn't mind driving the pdk to see the inpprovement.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I'm sure like anything there are good and bad ones that roll out of the factory but for the most part it seems that they've been pretty good as there don't seem to be any systemic problems like those you describe for Maserati (which is a shame if really a high % since those cars sound/look so nice) :)
Hi Ken
sorry to ask but regarding the few bad ones PDK what exactly has happened in cayman generation 2 experience so far ?

rex

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Hi Ken
sorry to ask but regarding the few bad ones PDK what exactly has happened in cayman generation 2 experience so far ?

rex
I don't know , i was just assuming there must be some, I don't know of any personally

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have done 19,000 kms and the PDK gearbox has been flawless. I have just ordered the third set of tyres which gives you an idea of how I drive...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
My PDK S*#t the bed last week. Waiting to here from the dealership if they are replacing the controller or PDK. Waiting to find out when the is car is getting fixed is worse than waiting for the car to come in on the boat. the wait is killing me. Check engine light came on followed by red explanation mark and then emergency transmission run error came on. The car is stuck in first gear. If someone was going to get a bad 2010 PDK I would be the one. I just have that kind of luck. Car only has 1862 miles on it.

dave-t

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's hoping that your problem is easily and quickly rectified and that, thankfully, you are covered by warranty. I know from reading threads here that there was an early problem with software that required a "reprogramming", after which the posters' problems seemed to be gone. Let yours be that easy and that you put your frustration behind you real soon.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.