Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car has been tracked regularly (30 days - 12/year). It had the failure 1 session after I picked it up from the shop (picked up Friday and failed Sunday). The 1st session was great and the LSD completely transformed the car. It had an open diff not PTV. But as I was backing up for the 2nd session, there was no reverse. The dealer dropped the pan and found a seal from reverse in it. In other words I need a new gearbox.

I had the dealer service the PDK for the 1st time early this year and tracked it 4 times since. Had blackstone analyze the old fluid with flying colors. I purposely did this to make sure the gearbox is in good shape before the LSD install.

The car was in the shop for 3 weeks for 15 hours of labor (LSD and another fluid service). They've done a couple LSD's on GT4's. So this is their first on a PDK. I think 1st time for PDK service too.

The big question now is what caused the failure:
1. PDK wear and tear
2. Guards LSD
3. Bad LSD Install
4. Bad Fluid Service

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm thinking it was a bad install. What shop installed the Guard LSD?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Sounds like installer fail to me. Possible the PDK had undetected issues before the install and this is coincidental but... If it smells like a fish...

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I have a 2014 CS with PDK. Installed a Guards LSD over 40 track days ago. Working perfectly. I had Cervelli do the Guard install and I remember him telling me that there was a tricky step to the install but I don't remember what it was.
PDK's have a pretty stellar reputation so I suspect also you have a case of a bad install.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2014 CS with PDK. Installed a Guards LSD over 40 track days ago. Working perfectly. I had Cervelli do the Guard install and I remember him telling me that there was a tricky step to the install but I don't remember what it was.
PDK's have a pretty stellar reputation so I suspect also you have a case of a bad install.
It might behoove OP to call that shop and see what that tricky part is. It is at least a lead on what could have happened. Good place to start.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know. It would be great if you can find out the "tricky step". If you don't mind, how many hours was the labor and was the gearbox fluid change necessary?
Thanks !

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I would contact Matt at Guard and ask if there have been any install issues related to PDK installations. Cervelli is no longer running the shop where I had the install done.
I believe you install new fluid when you put in the diff. After running a couple of weekends, I changed the diff oil again just to make sure it was clean.
In my case, especially since I am running at altitude where heat is an issue, I had the shop install a Laminova intercooler just for the diff. It adds another level of cooling because the diff acts like a heat sump for the clutch. The Guard diff is going to work harder and generate more heat so you want to keep things cool. I dont' remember how many hours for the install since it involved both the LSD and the cooler.

·
Registered
628 Posts
This is completely sucks.
This is a reason i haven't pooled the plug yet for the LSD - because if PDK fails due to wrong installation or other issues that develop because of added LSD - this too big/expensive risk.

OS Ginken dealer couldn't provide installation instructions...
Guard haven't replied to 2 my emails...

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
It has been a few years, but there was some talk about PDKs losing reverse gear. They were under warranty and Porsche replaced them.

I am not aware of any seal specific to reverse gear, but the differential is pretty much walled off from the gears. The only thing I can think of would be not enough gear oil or wrong gear oil. The reverse gear is funky shaped on the pinion shaft.

If the gear oil hasn't been drained or kept separately, it would be interesting to measure it and compare against the factory recommendations. At the minimum,te oil level should have been to the threads of the side fill plug.

I have two PDKs in my garage for clutch/gear upgrade projects and would have one disassembled by now and photos posted here, but I currently have a 5 lb weight limit on lifting due to recent surgery.

V6

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I think if you have a reputable shop do the work you won't need to worry. Ideally, you would want to have a shop with specific experience with these mods do the work.
I wouldn't give up on Guard, its a one man shop so he can get tied up at times. His engineering work is superb!

This is completely sucks.
This is a reason i haven't pooled the plug yet for the LSD - because if PDK fails due to wrong installation or other issues that develop because of added LSD - this too big/expensive risk.

OS Ginken dealer couldn't provide installation instructions...
Guard haven't replied to 2 my emails...

·
Registered
628 Posts
There is not always a workshop in a reasonable distance that know how to work on Porsche diffs.
Even less such shops exist that know how to work on Porsche diffs in PDK.
Since pretty much no shop will take full responsibility for damage caused by installation - i'm not willing to take a risk of 25,000$ of new PDK due to shop's try and error process.
If i would in competition and pulling out my engine and gearbox few times a year i would definitely do this to get those few precious seconds.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
In the bay area, I trust these shops for 981 surgery:

TC Design
Griffin Motorwerke
------
Sharkwerks
Alekshop

Any others?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would contact Matt at Guard and ask if there have been any install issues related to PDK installations. Cervelli is no longer running the shop where I had the install done.
I believe you install new fluid when you put in the diff. After running a couple of weekends, I changed the diff oil again just to make sure it was clean.
In my case, especially since I am running at altitude where heat is an issue, I had the shop install a Laminova intercooler just for the diff. It adds another level of cooling because the diff acts like a heat sump for the clutch. The Guard diff is going to work harder and generate more heat so you want to keep things cool. I dont' remember how many hours for the install since it involved both the LSD and the cooler.
Thanks for the info. Anyway, somewhat of a happy ending to my nightmare. My dealer finally submitted the warranty claim (everything disclosed) last week and PNA approved it. Just picked up the car today with a new gearbox. :dance:

·
Registered
857 Posts
Reactions: Croc999

·
Registered
857 Posts
Awesome... You just saved 25 Large.

Thanks for the info. Anyway, somewhat of a happy ending to my nightmare. My dealer finally submitted the warranty claim (everything disclosed) last week and PNA approved it. Just picked up the car today with a new gearbox. :dance:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Glad to hear you got a new PDK on PCNA. We all pay a lot for these cars and its nice to know that Porsche still stands behind their products when we enthusiasts go to the track and enjoy the cars the way the factory intended them to be. They may be the most profitable car company, but they don't spare much expense to keep their customers happy even with extenuating circumstances. Now what kind of car are you going to buy on the next go round?

Did they notice a botched install of the bearing when they installed the new PDK?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad to hear you got a new PDK on PCNA. We all pay a lot for these cars and its nice to know that Porsche still stands behind their products when we enthusiasts go to the track and enjoy the cars the way the factory intended them to be. They may be the most profitable car company, but they don't spare much expense to keep their customers happy even with extenuating circumstances. Now what kind of car are you going to buy on the next go round?

Did they notice a botched install of the bearing when they installed the new PDK?
Thanks but it wasn't a cake walk. I had to meet in person 3 times with the service mgr and talk to sales about retaining me as a customer. I did get a white gt4 from them last week. The S is advertised on

Panjo https://www.panjo.com/buy/2014-cayman-s-pdk-track-ready-364988

The dealer didn't look at the diff but they showed me how mangled the torx screws are on the diff cover. Like the installer didn't have the proper tools. They also didn't re tighten the locking plate of the right toe link which fell off on my way to track. Imagine if it fell off during a session.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.