Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
You know, a PDK tune could be interesting. That Normal shift program is pretty useless, IMO.
Time for a new car. The 991/981.2 cars get a custom or individual map. I guess we will see what that means but it sounds like what you want. Read the referenced article buried in the 991 subforum on the 991.2

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
+1. The combination of the Sport shift program with the Normal throttle response would be perfect IMO.
I agree and this is the reason I don't like the current versions, in normal driving with the PDK's rush to get to the highest gear possible it felt awful, in Sport it held on until redline there was nothing in between...

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Not sure if its been pointed out, but a manual and PDK are more similar than people realize. Google pictures if you don't believe me.

Here is just a quick search

A Tale of Two Porsche Seven-Speeds: Manual and PDK - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver
True as it applies to the 7 speeds in the 911 but not the 981, as of course it has it's own 6 MT. As these car differ from their engine layout some of the technologies don't cross over.

Very interesting pictures and discussion, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Both of my Caymans haven't had any PDK issues, my Macan needed the shift control module replaced at about 7,500 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2011 CS has 151,000 miles. PDK has been good but I had to replace the engine at 85,000 miles because of a timing fault. The car seemed to me to be running fine but the check engine light wouldn't go away. Happily I had extended warranty, from the P dealer but not a Porsche warranty. First they tried to repair the engine but that failed. Service writer told them not to try this because they could not even identify the actual fault. That cost $10k, then the paid $25k for a rebuilt (by Porsche) engine. The check engine light came on after I fitted some Dunlop Race Maxx tires for a track day. I have had the transmission go into limp mode I assume because of heat at a track day but it soon came back to life with no evident problems.

I'm thinking of a Boxster Spider. Love my PDK but take the $16,000 part price seriously. But what do I know, not all that much except so far my PDK has been good.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
You know, a PDK tune could be interesting. That Normal shift program is pretty useless, IMO.
I don't know. I have driven a bunch of PDK cars on the track with Sport Chrono but I think I have the standard PDK software sorted and it is just as fast. When I got the car I thought I would need to upgrade the software but found a good workaround that suits my three different driving styles.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I don't know. I have driven a bunch of PDK cars on the track with Sport Chrono but I think I have the standard PDK software sorted and it is just as fast. When I got the car I thought I would need to upgrade the software but found a good workaround that suits my three different driving styles.
I drive on the street and want things like manual shifts in auto mode to persist as they do in Sport+, or smoother downshifts from 2 to 1 in + auto.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yep, I have no need for any of that. When I want manual shifts, especially for mountain driving, I choose manual. Once I roll back into town, I just flip it to auto and cruise. On the race track I choose my downshift points in A/M with a quick tap tap, and then mash the throttle and let PDK do it's auto-upshift magic. Sport Chrono doesn't do anything I really want or need.

Different tools for different folks.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Ditto..........

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Wait till these systems get even more complicated with time and emissions regs, it's made long term ownership of any car unviable, not just Porsches.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Wait till these systems get even more complicated with time and emissions regs, it's made long term ownership of any car unviable, not just Porsches.
I wonder now if you desire long term ownership of these cars if the extended warranty factor is now even more important...?

41 - 60 of 100 Posts