Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
So far, so good. No signs of PDK failure here... :)

·
Banned
550 Posts
About halfway through a 280 mile trip this weekend, as I was exiting the freeway, the "Transm. fault Poss. no R gear Drive on poss" error popped up and the car would not shift out of third, even at a dead-stop or going in and out of Park. Sport mode and Stop/Start were also unavailable. I drove a little until I got to the nearest gas station, keeping it around 45 mph, because I didn't want to kill the engine until I got somewhere safe to park. I turned the engine off and let it sit for about 10 minutes. When I started it back up the error was gone and the car behaved normally for the rest of the trip.

This thread was one of the first that came up when I searched on my phone while sitting at the gas station... heh.

The car has 16k miles on it and is just under 2 years old. It was not particularly hot (upper 70s) and I had cruise control on for practically the entire time on the freeway. I'll reach out to the dealer next week (they are closed today) and see what the next step is. My next scheduled service is next month.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Chows, stop this, you are making me worry! :eek:

We have a 2016 Macan... I may be recommending to the wife that we extend the warranty during the year 1 upgrade window (no inspection)!
Sorry, just an accumulation of data. Yeah, the numbers are adding up. Then again, they sell a lot more Macans than sports car so maybe its OK.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Sorry, just an accumulation of data. Yeah, the numbers are adding up. Then again, they sell a lot more Macans than sports car so maybe its OK.
Hard to say, much like any stat, failures are normally reported but what about those that are trouble free... I sincerely hope our Macan is in this group!

I came across the following You Tube video on dual clutch transmissions, some interesting points: https://youtu.be/W42zsFYjZvM

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Hard to say, much like any stat, failures are normally reported but what about those that are trouble free... I sincerely hope our Macan is in this group!

I came across the following You Tube video on dual clutch transmissions, some interesting points: https://youtu.be/W42zsFYjZvM
Maybe all those SUV owners are extra hard on their transmission? You know, since there are no MT, there are a lot LC :) at every light. Lots of redlining etc. :) and they are loaded up with bags of concrete ;)

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Maybe all those SUV owners are extra hard on their transmission? You know, since there are no MT, there are a lot LC :) at every light. Lots of redlining etc. :) and they are loaded up with bags of concrete ;)
The wife said if I did any of the above my driving privileges for the Macan would be revoked... and she was serious!

Reactions: chows4us

·
Registered
3,618 Posts

Nice reminder of the Porsche-ness of our PDKs compared with other dual-clutch transmissions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just bought a used 2015 Cayman S with 33K Miles 3 weeks ago. Everything was fine but something in the transmissions behavior at low speeds and downshifting was a bit rough or clunky. I've never own a PDK but had a VW R32 with their DSG transmission. Still under warranty (2 years left) I took it to the dealer for an evaluation. Turned out I was right. There are two chambers within the PDK, one with oil and one with trans fluid, the trans fluid had oil in it. It appears that a seal between the two compartments had failed. New PDK on the way all covered by warranty.

Anyone else heard about this issue of trans fluid contamination with Oil?

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Just bought a used 2015 Cayman S with 33K Miles 3 weeks ago. Everything was fine but something in the transmissions behavior at low speeds and downshifting was a bit rough or clunky. I've never own a PDK but had a VW R32 with their DSG transmission. Still under warranty (2 years left) I took it to the dealer for an evaluation. Turned out I was right. There are two chambers within the PDK, one with oil and one with trans fluid, the trans fluid had oil in it. It appears that a seal between the two compartments had failed. New PDK on the way all covered by warranty.

Anyone else heard about this issue of trans fluid contamination with Oil?
Glad to hear that the transmission is covered, no so much that a component that I would expect to last the life of the car needs to be replaced, and we are not talking a light bulb or set of brake pads!

Without warranty what would this have cost, certainly more than you would have bargained for...

Too bad your second post here had to be one of a major part failure, but thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I was thinking it might be interesting to know the % chance of a Porsche PDK failure versus a MT failure (I recall that not unheard-of) but I suspect it would make little difference to someone choosing one over the other unless the difference is extreme.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I was thinking it might be interesting to know the % chance of a Porsche PDK failure versus a MT failure (I recall that not unheard-of) but I suspect it would make little difference to someone choosing one over the other unless the difference is extreme.
Even if the rates of failure are about the same, isn't the difference in downside cost 'extreme'?

61 - 80 of 100 Posts