Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about 1k track miles and I was wondering if its time to consider replacing my PDK oil. I only recently installed the 3rd radiator to help reduce heat. Does PDK fluid replacement require PIWIS?

And of course what about the differential?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I don't see much on the PDK subject. Although Rennlist has a lot of GT3 owners asking.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I had my PDK fluids changed last fall with 20K total miles of which 2K were track miles. I was told the clutch fluid was only slightly darker than new, but I have had extra radiator and other thermal mods since day 1. RL has a DIY thread where without a PIWIS, 3L of clutch fluid were obtained vs a listed 5L capacity. My indy shop only got 4L out, so it was not a full change, but due to the good color I was not worried. One of the RL threads showed a heavily tracked car with near black clutch fluid after 30K miles which is what motivated my early mileage change. If your clutch fluid isn't too dark and is clean, then you can hold off on the pan change (which is the only way to change the filter) until 60K miles.

The problem is that half of the ATF/clutch fluid is contained in the clutches. A PIWIS is needed to enable pumping that volume out, which is why the DIYer only got 3L out.

The gear oil doesn't require a PIWIS. It is cheaper per liter and should be done at the same time as the clutch fluid.

V6

·
Registered
425 Posts
I changed mine with 60K daily-driver miles and 30 track days on the car. I just changed the diff and clutch fluid, not the filter. The tech said the fluid was just slightly darker than new, so probably could have gone longer. No hint of issues, just precautionary.

·
Registered
34,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I should have added the additional question of who lets the PDK shift on its own and who shifts manually? I would think that shifting manually would involve less wear and tear, assuming you know what you are doing. While I have driven a 6 speed for many years, I have opted to let the PDK do the shifting on my track events (shame on me). I'm way to engaged on track to notice but on daily driving, I find sometimes the PDK fights me but that is likely because I still have not gotten used to it downshifting for me. Any thoughts?

I feel confident in replacing these kinds of fluids, granted clearly I won't be able to remove it all. But I would very likely cycle it more often than otherwise. Its a bit of a pain when the only clearance you have is the jackpoint stands.

·
Registered
160 Posts
On a track I'm just learning I'll often let it shift itself, but on one I know I shift for it, as I enjoy the experience. I have to admit the one thing I don't like is the auto kick-down in manual, as sometimes it does it only to need to shift up again a second or two later, I really just want it to stay in the gear I have it in. I've kind of learned not to push the throttle all the way down to avoid it but sometimes it happens as I floor it on a straight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts