Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had to complain at least a little bit didn't I.

Tried some Sports Plus driving in manual mode.

My First Gripe.

It would be nice if Porsche actually produced a proper Right Hand Drive vehicle. My 986 drove me crazy because the hand brake was on the passengers side. :crazy: every time I had a passenger in the car I had to push their right arm away to be able to use the handbrake.

The PDK for LHD cars is great. You pull the stick towards you nice and close to do the manual shifting. Sweet.

I have to push the handle away from me towards the passenger.:crazy:

My Second Gripe.

What brainiac in Porsche decided to have the shifts back to front. I practiced shifting for a while that was OK. Bedded the left foot hard into the foot rest so it would not go automatically hunting for the clutch when i used the stick. Then into some nice tight twisties and then all my gear changes were back to front. :crazy:

My Last Gripe (hopefully)

I have the multifunction wheel as I opted for the Mahogany Wood Package.

When you cross your wrists in a corner you can bump the shift blocks forward and change up a gear. :crazy:

Other than that I love it.;)

:cheers:

·
Registered
124 Posts

When you cross your wrists in a corner you can bump the shift blocks forward and change up a gear. :crazy:
Maybe Porsche should rename it the Malfunction Wheel. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well I had to complain at least a little bit didn't I.

Tried some Sports Plus driving in manual mode.

My First Gripe.

It would be nice if Porsche actually produced a proper Right Hand Drive vehicle. My 986 drove me crazy because the hand brake was on the passengers side. :crazy: every time I had a passenger in the car I had to push their right arm away to be able to use the handbrake.

The PDK for LHD cars is great. You pull the stick towards you nice and close to do the manual shifting. Sweet.

I have to push the handle away from me towards the passenger.:crazy:

My Second Gripe.

What brainiac in Porsche decided to have the shifts back to front. I practiced shifting for a while that was OK. Bedded the left foot hard into the foot rest so it would not go automatically hunting for the clutch when i used the stick. Then into some nice tight twisties and then all my gear changes were back to front. :crazy:

My Last Gripe (hopefully)

Other than that I love it.;)

Sport Design steering wheels with intuitive paddles solves all your problems but at the expesnse of letting you have mahogany wheel...

·
Registered
187 Posts
sports steering wheel doesn't have the multifunction buttons... which I find really useful.

I agree the multifunction steering wheel shifters are slightly counter intuitive... Worse part about the car.

·
Registered
255 Posts
i chose the standard wheel with pdk because the buttons were sensible and symmetric: forward on either button for "up", back on either button for "down". Audi was the same. Ditto Porsche.
BMW and Jaguar had it backward, imho - pulling back to upshift made no sense to me. As a former motorcyclist, toe up for upshift made sense, (except if you are a motorcycle racer, when toe down for upshift was necessary.)
the industry never had the sense to standardize paddles nor autobox +/-positions the way they standardized PRND 40 or 50 years ago - before that was chaos, with dash buttons, wheel hub buttons, and inconsistent lever options.

·
Registered
906 Posts
the industry never had the sense to standardize paddles nor autobox +/-positions the way they standardized PRND 40 or 50 years ago - before that was chaos, with dash buttons, wheel hub buttons, and inconsistent lever options.
You have an issue with my Corvair's dash mounted powerslide control? :hilarious:

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have the Sport Design Steering Wheel.
The only gripe I have is that the Thumb Rests are
too high to use and be able to 'paddle shift ' with the first two fingers
of your hands. When using the thumb rests you kind of have to reach a bit
to use the paddles shifters and - at that - it is the pinky and ring finger that
more easily make contact with the paddles.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have the Sport Design Steering Wheel.
The only gripe I have is that the Thumb Rests are
too high to use and be able to 'paddle shift ' with the first two fingers
of your hands. When using the thumb rests you kind of have to reach a bit
to use the paddles shifters and - at that - it is the pinky and ring finger that
more easily make contact with the paddles.
Are you holding the wheel correctly?

The Sport Design Wheel is designed to be used with a "9 and 3" grip. I know that driving schools teach you "10 and 2", but for racing that is not correct. 9 and 3 is the grip to use when you want to be able to turn the steering wheel without shifting hand position, which is essential on a track.

The "thumb rests" are not to rest thumbs on, but to prevent you from slipping on the wheel when cornering on a track. The thumb should be wrapped around the steering wheel rim, above the spoke but under the "thumb rest".

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
When I ordered my car, the first thing my SA said to me, "if you're going PDK, I highly suggest you consider the Sports Design steering wheel." He was so right.

·
Registered
59 Posts

The Sport Design Wheel is designed to be used with a "9 and 3" grip. I know that driving schools teach you "10 and 2", but for racing that is not correct. 9 and 3 is the grip to use when you want to be able to turn the steering wheel without shifting hand position, which is essential on a track.

The "thumb rests" are not to rest thumbs on, but to prevent you from slipping on the wheel when cornering on a track. The thumb should be wrapped around the steering wheel rim, above the spoke but under the "thumb rest".
Correct. He's holding the wheel too high. The bumps are intended to prevent your hands from sliding on the wheel.

Re the OP, I don't have a problem pushing or pulling the stick to enter manual mode (it's not really that hard), as after that I use the paddles.

Re the lack of multifunction buttons, the centre console is really not very far away.

Wow, it's hard to please some people.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As a former motorcyclist, toe up for upshift made sense, (except if you are a motorcycle racer, when toe down for upshift was necessary.)
I didn't even think about that. Maybe 10 years of racing bikes is my underlying problem.:thanks:

QUOTE]

It would be nice to be able to "disengage" the steering wheel buttons temporarily.
Now thats an option I would be happy to pay for.

I was always taught 10 and 2, but I like / prefer 9 and 3 its just the right place for a quick cross the wrists then hard on the power and cross the wrists the other was as you counter steer the power slide. It just feels great. Just a quick flip, flip.

Sport Design steering wheels with intuitive paddles solves all your problems but at the expesnse of letting you have mahogany wheel...
Yes this option was most likely the one I spent most time on. I would have loved the paddles but I am removing all the fake aluminium. And the Sports Design would have looked out of place.

All the frosted aluminium look plastic is being replaced with carbon.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Could you get it wrapped? I know a workshop in Singapore that can get the Sports Design wheel wrapped but it won't be cheap

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Could you get it wrapped? I know a workshop in Singapore that can get the Sports Design wheel wrapped but it won't be cheap
I'm working with Daniel at DB Carbon on a number of Carbon / Leather / Deviated Stitching options for the wheel and other things.

I might throw the Sports Design Wheel into the pot and see what surfaces.

Some more fake Aluminium gone today. Not a good quality pic though. Alu door handle gone, Plastic insert behind handle gone, plastic window switch surround gone. My crusade continues.:hilarious:

View attachment 30192

And nothing about these cars is cheap.;)

Reactions: sublimey

·
Registered
226 Posts
Had a brainstorm yesterday (or brain fart)...

...what about a shaped piece of plastic that, for driving events only, you could slip over the steering wheel shift buttons, effectively preventing them from being actuated accidently?
I'm thinking someone with CAD software and a 3-D printer could fashion it up in no time.
Wouldn't have to look good, just for those few hours a month when you don't want to accidently find yourself in 6th going around an autocross.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts