Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all heard the GT3's PDK is not the Carrera's. But does anybody know if the 991 GT3's PDK is the same PDK on the 991 turbo?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The turbo has 3 overdrive gears compared to 2 to the gt3. Shifting is in milliseconds in both. Both are within tenths in performance...big torque vs high revs.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the PDK Porsche was bragging about of the GT3 differs from the turbo... Hmm.

Is it the Carrera's then?

What about the engine? Which engine does the turbo has, GT3's or Carrera's?

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the GT3 has PDK-S. It is not the same as in the 991 or 991S nor the same as in the TT.

Porsche 911 GT3 PDK Explained » AutoGuide.com News
I need to go back to school and relearn English as this is the 3rd post today where I get misunderstood :(

I know the GT3's engine & PDK has nothing to do with the Carrera's. I was questioning if the GT3's engine & PDK were the same in the turbo :wall:

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Because of 40 hp more and a higher redline, the Turbo s has heavier pistons and connecting rods than the turbo. So I would assume the gt3 internals are beefed up even more with the over 8000 rpm redline. I'm not sure of the block, but since the metzer is history and porsche is into engineering efficiencies, the blocks could be the same.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Because of 40 hp more and a higher redline, the Turbo s has heavier pistons and connecting rods than the turbo. So I would assume the gt3 internals are beefed up even more with the over 8000 rpm redline. I'm not sure of the block, but since the metzer is history and porsche is into engineering efficiencies, the blocks could be the same.
Oh! So the difference in hp between the turbo and turbo S was not only achieved by software tuning... That's sad. I thought in time I could get the turbo S performance with a software upgrade.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Oh! So the difference in hp between the turbo and turbo S was not only achieved by software tuning... That's sad. I thought in time I could get the turbo S performance with a software upgrade.
If it were that easy, not many people would be willing to pay the $30K+ premium for the S.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
There are ECU and piggy-back tunes for the turbos. When you are ready there will be more good choices.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
504 Posts
Because of 40 hp more and a higher redline, the Turbo s has heavier pistons and connecting rods than the turbo. So I would assume the gt3 internals are beefed up even more with the over 8000 rpm redline.
There is no physical difference between the Turbo and Turbo S engines. They are identical, part number for part number. The 40hp increase is due to ~3psi (17.4 vs. 14.5) difference in boost and a 200 rpm redline increase hardly necessitates upgraded hardware. Audi and VW do this with their turbo engines as well. It is more cost effective for the manufacturer to design and produce one engine and then charge several thousand dollars to flip a switch in the ECU. It's a bit depressing when you realize that's all they do.

Hassaan, You can easily surpass Turbo S output with a regular Turbo and a GIAC stage I tune. If you like, you can install an aftermarket exhaust and GIAC stage II tune instead to get about 550 whp on 93 octane, all day long.

If it were that easy, not many people would be willing to pay the $30K+ premium for the S.
Not quite true. Please don't forget that in addition to the 40 hp software upgrade, the Turbo S comes standard with PDCC, Sport Chrono, PCCB, carbon fiber interior trim, center lock wheels, and some other smaller goodies. That alone is $25k worth of equipment that is not standard on the Turbo. This kind of information can be found on some of the larger Porsche forums. PM me if you want links.

The GT3 engine is not related at all to the Turbo engine. None of the rotating assembly or block is the same. There are a very different set of engineering criteria for building a low torque, high horsepower, high rpm NA engine vs a turbo boosted boulevard bruiser. Everything changes from an engineering standpoint; cylinder pressures, block resonances, crank harmonics, valve spring rates - everything...

Hope that helps,
- Patrick

Reactions: chows4us

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you PMNewton for the info.

There's nothing the S has over the turbo that interests me except the hp & torque. I spent sometime now on GIAC, TechArt and Gemballa websites. The last has nothing for the 991 turbo. TechArt seems to have good options for the body, chassis and engine. Both TechArt and Gemballa exist here. Guess who's their dealer? The son of Porsche dealer ;)

I read about the GIAC on two threads at another forum... 100 hp gain is very impressive but no info on 0-100 or 0-320 :( And it's required to ship the ECU to them. I can imagine the face of Porsche's local salesman if I ask him to tell Porsche Germany to ship the ECU from there to GIAC while the car is being built :D LOL

Changing the exhaust is not an option at this stage. Plus so far all modified exhaust on YouTube for the turbo had a burping sound that I hated.

PS Any idea if the software upgrade by TechArt or GIAC can be detected by the dealer?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hassaan,

Certainly! The GIAC tune is done exclusively via OBD port flash. The only way you would need to ship out the ECU is if there are no GIAC installers in Saudi Arabia. You can contact [email protected] for more information. Follow this link to a wealth of information about the 991 turbo and associated upgrades. You can also find a forum dedicated completely to the GT3.

I hate to do this because it always starts a flame war but in point of fact, the flash tune is a better solution from an engineering standpoint than a piggyback. Granted, there are benefits and disadvantages to both but from a pure engineering standpoint in terms of engine control, you want the Siemens ECU calling the shots, not a black box.

The GIAC flash is detectable but the dealership would have to be specifically looking for it and know where to look. The ECU keeps a record of how many times it has been flashed but the tune is otherwise undetectable. Another advantage with the GIAC is add the ability to switch back to stock in a matter of seconds vs. removing a piggyback which can take several hours. When you take it in for servicing the car won't behave any differently than stock and shouldn't raise any eyebrows.

:cheers:
Patrick

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for the info.

I don't see myself pulling the trigger on any upgrade soon... Hopefully in years, not months. But I'm keeping my eyes open since I have nothing to do but wait for my car's delivery.

BTW I just came across those claiming it's 100% undetectable and works as plug&splay. Yet, no reliable info about the outcome plus the dyno sheets were confusing to me:
VR Tuned OBDII Port Auto Flash Porsche 991 Turbo| Turbo S

PS I'm spending time on YouTube watching how the turbo S pulls away from the Speciale, Aventador, GT-R... etc. JAW DROPPING!!! Sadly, it seems very few are buying the turbo over the S from the number of reviews and videos I come across to know what to expect.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tom, check this gorgeous beauty

80-img_5899_8adb3487a8849cbfdbe57c4727fe5af543eb6ba6.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts