Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am a proud new owner of the 2015 Cayman with PDK. I love the sports mode and manual mode on the PDK but the standard mode is extremely sluggish since its always looking for that higher gear. Not sure if thats normal but the PDK will be in 5th gear going 35miles/hr. Is there anyway to make the PDK a bit more aggressive in the standard mode (not sport)?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Hi all, I am a proud new owner of the 2015 Cayman with PDK.
Congratulations. If this isn't the best car you've ever had, you've been driving some exceedingly fancy machinery.

I love the sports mode and manual mode on the PDK . .
You won't get a lot if disagreement here on those opinions!

. . . but the standard mode is extremely sluggish since its always looking for[ that higher gear. Not sure if thats normal but the PDK will be in 5th gear going 35miles/hr.
It's normal. PDK without Sport mode is designed to make EPA mileage numbers look good--not to have fun. You want fun? That's what Sport mode and use of the paddles (if you have the sport steering wheel, or buttons if you don't) are for.

Is there anyway to make the PDK a bit more aggressive in the standard mode (not sport)?
Not to my knowledge. As a result of your concern there are some Cayman owners who simply have Sport mode on all the time, switching between it and shifting with the paddles, using the regular PDK shifting points only for certain situations (e.g., some highway situations, possibly some bad bumper to bumper traffic jams, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Yes the cayman is by far the best car I've ever had! Glad to hear my assessment is normal... is there anyway to keep the sports mode on all the time including after you turn the car off and then on again?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
BTW, if you drive it like you stole it in Normal mode, it may temporarily adapt and get better. But the real fix is Sport mode, yes. There is a mod somewhere on the forum to enable Sport by default. My own pref is normal till oil hits 100 deg., then Sport, then often Sport+ at 165 deg. Once in Sport+ auto, I use the buttons to up shift to put the engine at 3500 RPM. In Sport+, it will stay in whatever gear you pick as long as the revs are over 3200, unlike in Sport.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
My Cayman - with PDK - is definitely sluggish in the default mode . . . but I'm getting excellent fuel mileage. If I get bored I just punch the Sport button and move the gearshift selector to manual. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
PDK 'learns' how you drive and then predicts shifts. If you're using standard mode and hitting the gas hard to be in lower gear, pdk will automatically do that in normal mode. Sports mode makes the throttle quicker to respond, shuts off all 'gas saving stuff,' and keeps you in lower gear longer. IMO, it depends on how you drive, but personally I think the throttle response feels too jerky in sports mode and I find it pointless to sit in a lower gear when you could be in a higher one...of course if I'm trying to race or something, I'm manually shifting into the lowest gear possible.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sport mode seems to be the answer to that, that's what its there for. But as mentioned, if you normal driving style is aggressive, it does seem to get a bit more reasonable. For some reason I was in non-sport auto the other day and it seemed a lot more reasonable that it was the last time I tried that.

Normally I just use manual, then I don't have to worry about the machine doing the wrong thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts