Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been searching but can’t quite seem to find a thread that addresses my question:

I’m not really sure how to describe this exactly, but is it normal for a PDK transmission to shift slowly at very slow speeds? When I slow down but don’t fully stop and then slowly accelerate, it seems like there is a slight delay, or “lurch” when the transmission shifts (up or down).

Is this because the transmission is essentially in neutral when the brake is depressed a certain amount?

Thanks is andvance for any help,
Ed

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Mine does that if I do not drive it in sport mode, also if you do not make a complete stop it stays in 2nd gear, try driving it in sport mode it seems for normal for this car.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mine does the same...even in sport if I am not driving with a purpose (around town) then it almost seems like the shifts are lazy, ESPECIALLY when the oil temps are below 120-140. Seems like as temps come up, so does the shift speed. If I am up to temp and actually having a bit of fun though, the shifts are crisp and very fast.

·
Registered
48 Posts
ok, this somewhat answers a PDK question I have...approximately what percentage of "regular" driving are you in Sport Mode? Would driving in Sport Mode 100% of the time have ANY negative effects on anything? I've put Liqui Molly in my 2010 PDK, no "lazy shifting"!

·
Registered
832 Posts
What I know for sure is the speed of the clutch engagement varies between normal, sport and sport+. In normal default mode it is a slower clutch engagement especially when starting off from a stop. In sport it is definitely a quicker engagement. In sport + it absolutely bangs from gear to gear. I drive almost 100% of the time in sport mode because I prefer the higher rpm shifts and a quicker throttle response. I see no reason why this would wear out the clutch quicker. My logic tells me that slower clutch engagement that allows the clutch to slip the most would be the most wearing. A quick engagement means less slip. Having said that the sport + engagement is so brutal that it might be just as bad. So like goldilocks and the three bears, sport mode is just right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you guys refer to the sport modes, are these after market or an option? Unless I’m completely lost, ours doesn’t have it. It would be next to the spoiler switch, right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not all PDKs have sport mode as I was told that the 2012 it was an additional option. I just added it to my Porsche for around $1800. You can buy the part on suncoast for $1195 and get a dealer to install for around $400. I did not want to wait so I paid the few hundred extra and got the part from the dealer. If you have a PSE button it will replace the button with sport plus mode.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I added the sport and sport+, I sounds expensive but would now be hard to live without, I joined the PCA for a big discount on parts and labor, and discovered after becoming a member of the Porsche Club that I really like hanging out with a bunch of other car crazy guy like me.

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
I have PDK with Sport Chrono - so Sport and Sport+ modes. Irrespective, if I come to a stop at a stop sign - even in "Normal" mode, the transmission drops to first gear. As I stop, I can hear the transmission making it's shifts - it will downshift into 2nd when I slow down, particularly if I come up to a stop at a fair clip - but I've never seen it stay in 2nd. This said, the PDK is adaptive - how it shifts is eventually a function of the way you drive it. I tend to slow down hard, and accelerate fast from stops (after all, there is no law about how quickly you reach the legal speed limit....). If I'm driving in Sport mode, and get into traffic, when I accelerate from a stop it may carry first a lot longer than I like, which - with my exhaust - can be a bit loud....otherwise, if I pull away in a manner appropriate for the transmission setting I'm on, it will shift briskly. I've never had any "lurches"....I can pretty much control when it shifts (when in auto mode) with my gas pedal.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think road speed has to drop to below 3-5mph for PDK to shift into first when stopping, so all of you California rolling stoppers will be re-"starting" in 2nd.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chin
1 - 10 of 10 Posts