Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I heard about PDK Relearn and would like to know if this is a COBB feature or standard Porsche function available on PIWIS and others.

Does anyone has experience with this function?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes - and sane year as yours. Let me see if I can find it. Meanwhile you go look for a dead chicken..

Whew - 45 minutes later.. https://www.planet-9.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-987-today.57344/page-358#post-2138259

Have fun. Let me know if it works for you! BTW - dunno what "COBB feature" means, and yes - a PIWIS can do this, but I haven't found an aftermarket tool that can (own Durametric and iCarScan. iCarScan has the Porsche specific module from X431 - but I find it kind of lacking for the Cayman. It's quite good on a Cayenne..)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The Cobb device can initiate a PDK clutch calibration mode if you have the PDK mapping option on the Cobb device. It can adjust for greater clutch pressures for those with 3.8 swaps or engine mods with much higher torque than factory. It will also calibrate the clutches from normal wear. This is all completely different from this "relearn" dance that gets passed around from time to time

·
Registered
89 Posts
The Cobb device can initiate a PDK clutch calibration mode if you have the PDK mapping option on the Cobb device. It can adjust for greater clutch pressures for those with 3.8 swaps or engine mods with much higher torque than factory. It will also calibrate the clutches from normal wear. This is all completely different from this "relearn" dance that gets passed around from time to time
Do you have a link to such a device?

FWIW - I had the relearn along with adaptation clearing done when I had the clutch oil changed a few weeks ago. Overall the transmission is much smoother in normal and sport mode, and outstanding in sport-plus.. but it wasn't bad before I had that done. The shop I use has a PIWIS - genuine article - they are a Porsche only independent shop with very close ties to our local dealer (the dealer will sometimes send engine work out to this shop if they get too backed up..)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ah - never mnid. Found Cobb Tuning with a Google.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Don
Not 100% sure we talk about the same thing.
I red this proc few month ago but I understood it is related to PDK getting use to your driving style, correct?
COBB is a tuning company and offer PDK tuning with « optimized » maps flashed to the PDK Control module.
In case their advanced « extreme » map is used? A PDK relearn program must be executed through their pocket device.

I have an Autel MAXYDAS that has a Reset function in PDK submenu but I do not have any info about what it does so I am not too confident to try it

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, there should be a list of all the different PDK shift maps that can be applied using the Cobb. The clutch calibration feature is just one of the choices using the device
so you mean it is a COBB added program not something existing also on PIWIS?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
so you mean it is a COBB added program not something existing also on PIWIS?
Correct. As K-Man said above, the Cobb device is an aftermarket tool used for many different things. Its an ECU tuning device as well as reading and resetting error codes or monitoring and storing files in real time of various engine and car functions when operating.

The PDK tuning option has the ability to adjust clutch pressures for higher torque setups like those with 3.8 engine swaps as well as re-calibrate the clutches for normal wear, ect. There is a PDK relearn process that must also be initiated through the device when swapping between normal PDK setups and the high torque PDK maps, but I have no idea if this is the exact same thing that a PIWIS is doing or not.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could someone with a PIWIS add info?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts