Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all fellow Planet-9ers with PDK transmissions.......

What "Sound" does your PDK transmission make when down shifting from 2nd into 1st gear? :confused:

I have a 2015 Cayman, 2.7L with PDK. Has only 350 miles, so the car and all it's "normal" sounds are new and unknown to me.

When my PDK upshifts, I hear no noise from the tranny, just the sweet boxer engine. When coming to a stop, and the PDK is downshifting, there is no noise or sound from the PDK, except for the last shift from 2nd gear into 1st, then there is a muted "clunk - shhhhhh" that stop when the car stops. It's not particularly loud, yet noticeable.

I only ask as I hear nothing from the PDK at any other time, only when its makes the final downshift from 2nd into 1st.

This is probably the normal sound for a PDK, yet I just thought to ask for peace of mind.:thanks:

Premium Member
I was just thinking about how this is so typical for Porsche owners (I've owned 4 in my life and will add a 981 some time) that we listen carefully to every sound our cars make. I used to do that. Every little new noise resulted in pausing to listen very carefully. The majority of the time it was nothing. But, at least speaking for myself, every new noise made me worry that something was going to cost me big dollars to fix.

The flip side to this dilemma is that you really do need to pay attention to what the car is telling you. I made the mistake of once telling my wife, who was driving the Carrera 4 at the time, that she was worrying about a new sound for no valid reason. She then pulled into a parking lot and, after parking, all the hydraulic fluid dumped out. Glad she had more sense than me.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"What "Sound" does your PDK transmission make when down shifting from 2nd into 1st gear? :confused:"

At what RPM?
PDK Transmission make the decision as to the RPM when the shift occurs. Normally around < 1500 RPM. Typical situation is slowing to a stop for a Light or Stop Sign.

Registered
@Rafiki, I regularly hear this same sound (at least, it seems to be the same! :) ) as well and am wondering if you still notice it after the engine has warmed up to normal operating temperatures/pressure. I've found that it seems to go away after driving for a little while.

Also, to the people who say it's normal: do you know what causes this?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I have 12,000+ miles on my Cayman. Drives perfectly. PDK still makes a "clunk---Shaaaa" when shifting from 2nd into 1st, when coming to a stop.

It makes this sound regardless of the temperature. I have concluded that it is a normal sound and no longer think about it. :)

:cheers:

Registered
It is perfectly normal, my PDK with 43K+ miles did the very same thing. Hopefully PDK replacements will come down in price for long term owners.

Registered
I get this too. Funny thing is my vw tdi dsg does it too. I guess it's a thing about dual clutch automated manuals. Good news is all Indy shops say Porsche PDks are bulletproof and likely the most reliable transmission that exists.

Registered
It is perfectly normal, my PDK with 43K+ miles did the very same thing. Hopefully PDK replacements will come down in price for long term owners.
Yeah, I have been looking for a good used PDK transmission for Dark Knight's Phase II development and can't find one that doesn't want a core swap. A rebuilt PDK from Porsche is about $12K including core charge or $17K new.

As far as noise the PDK makes in 2nd to 1st downshift, if varies by how the computer has learned how you drive, if the car adds the energy recoupment on decelleration, whether you are in normal, sport, or sport plus modes, etc.

Premium Member
I think this is also related to the gear "lash" that I noted recently (different story) ... so far, not a problem...
D

Registered
Yea that 2nd gear to first clunk is normal, but I HIGHLY suggest avoiding manually downshifting to 1st from 2nd, just let the car do itself on its own and then it won't clunk.

Premium Member
My 2014 Cayman 2.7L PDK did this exact same thing for the approximately 17,000 miles I drove it. My 2016 Cayman 2.7L with PDK does not seem to be doing this. I only have 1,040 miles on it at this point but do not hear it. I commented this to my dealership as a matter of fact as it was quite noticeable and was told that there was a substantial change in the software and clutch operation from my 2014. I am only reporting what I was told.................

Registered
For all fellow Planet-9ers with PDK transmissions.......

What "Sound" does your PDK transmission make when down shifting from 2nd into 1st gear? :confused:

I have a 2015 Cayman, 2.7L with PDK. Has only 350 miles, so the car and all it's "normal" sounds are new and unknown to me.

When my PDK upshifts, I hear no noise from the tranny, just the sweet boxer engine. When coming to a stop, and the PDK is downshifting, there is no noise or sound from the PDK, except for the last shift from 2nd gear into 1st, then there is a muted "clunk - shhhhhh" that stop when the car stops. It's not particularly loud, yet noticeable.

I only ask as I hear nothing from the PDK at any other time, only when its makes the final downshift from 2nd into 1st.

This is probably the normal sound for a PDK, yet I just thought to ask for peace of mind.:thanks:

I have a 2015 Cayman 2.7 with PDK and 5,000 miles and there is no sound when it shifts into first. I will say that the transmission is superb. It is the first non-standard transmission car I have ever owned and I was very hesitant to order the PDK. Now I am very glad I did. The car has less torque than the '98 M3 it replaced. This car requires more shifting to keep the power coming. But when I come into a turn, do late braking and then bring the power on at the apex, I can hear the transmission double clutch and downshift and when I'm ready to accelerate the car is in the correct gear. It does this far better than I could ever do no matter how much I tried to heel/toe my way through a corner.

Registered
3.4L with PDK here, with 20K+ miles, and I've never heard anything but the occasional light clunk you'd expect from a mechanical clutch.

One thing to keep in mind is that break-in takes a while in a Porsche. With only 350 miles you can expect your car to sound, run, vibrate, and generally feel a bit different over time. Right around the time you'd be looking to trade in a Vette or a Jaguar, these cars are just hitting their stride.

PDKs in general are very complicated and completely opaque to everyone other than the engineers who design them, so there's no upside to worrying about their behavior unless/until something actually goes wrong and throws a code.

Registered
The PDK is a tremendous piece of Engineering!
But it and the car really come into it's own on Track.
On Track the engine literally sings in Sport, or better still, Sport Plus as you accelerate full throttle.
Come into a slow corner from speed and you hear POW, POW, POW as the PDK completes 3 down shifts in the time it would take you to complete one downshift with a manual transmission.
It's like having a nice smooth Auto for the road and a racing trans for the Track.
The bumps in the back as you upshift in Sport Plus under full throttle add to the experience.-Rciahrd

1 - 17 of 17 Posts