Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first Cayman R was a 6 speed, and I loved it. Cried when I sold it. It was bone stock.

Now my second car is a PDK with track modifications.

PDK rocks.

I don't miss shifting at all. In Sport Plus, I shift manually. It's satisfying and engaging.

The car is finally quick enough on the street. So much quicker with PDK shifts, let alone launch mode which is even quicker.

Downside? Heat at the track. The answer? Dedicated PDK cooling system.

The system sounds like a giant aquarium pump when it's running. A bit disturbing in the cockpit at first, but you can't hear it outside the car, and you only run it on hot days at the track.

It hasn't been battle tested yet, but others report good results. Install coincided with decrease in temperatures in Northern California.

When I want to just cruise on the highway, or grab a smoothie with my son, I just flick the car into auto mellow mode. It's a beautiful thing.

Unrelated, but OMG...

Folks...if you EVER track your car...upgrade your suspension. This car has a Tarett suspension kit. I believe it is the Club Sport B package. It might be too harsh for some on the street, but when you dial in negative camber, the car is transformed.

Also, my first car had Sport seats and not the Sport buckets. This car has buckets. I love them. Well worth the slight PITA getting in and out.

The Cayman R is one of the finest cars ever built in my opinion. Does it need more power? I don't think so, and I have two cars that do 0-60 in under 3 seconds. Power is over-rated. The R is "just right" with PDK. Not enough with a manual, though, IMO.

Reactions: SIXPEED

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
hi there daveN007 - interesting observations....the R is my favourite variant of the cayman. Sports buckets - nice...

1. did you have the 3rd radiator for the PDK before installing your pump system?
2. assuming the suspension comes with adjustable lower control arms also for the negative camber?

what are your other plans for the car? did you do anything for the brakes?

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi there daveN007 - interesting observations....the R is my favourite variant of the cayman. Sports buckets - nice...

1. did you have the 3rd radiator for the PDK before installing your pump system?
2. assuming the suspension comes with adjustable lower control arms also for the negative camber?

what are your other plans for the car? did you do anything for the brakes?
The center radiator is already installed in PDK cars. This is a FOURTH radiator driven by a pump that runs directly from the transmission to the front of the car where the small 4th radiator is stacked on top of the center radiator. A switch activates the system when on the track.

The shop that set up the car swapped in Girodisc slotted rotors and extended wheel studs for ease of wheel swapping.

The suspension is fully adjustable. You can dial in any amount of negative camber you desire. It transforms the car, and eats the inside edge of your street tires. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.