Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a -16 CGTS in European spec, and swapped the std 35w D3S bulb (Osram Xenarc std edition) to Osram Xenarc Night Breaker Laser the other day, and can recommend the effort. Much better low/ high beam and very close to Led performance. The swap is easy to do yourself and several Youtube videos explain the procedure well. 30 min max.

Attachments

·
Administrator
'11 Cayenne TT, '09 Boxster
748 Posts
I have a -16 CGTS in European spec, and swapped the std 35w D3S bulb (Osram Xenarc std edition) to Osram Xenarc Night Breaker Laser the other day, and can recommend the effort. Much better low/ high beam and very close to Led performance. The swap is easy to do yourself and several Youtube videos explain the procedure well. 30 min max.
Gotta love how they toss "Laser" in there.. there is NO laser in that bulb, but I guess it helps sell it.

FWIW - replacing the standard old Xenon-HID bulb with a new standard Xenon-HID bulb might well have resulted in the same sort of difference. The bulbs do weaken with age. Most of them build up a crystalline ring around the outside of the quartz envelope - right where the arc is struck (between the two electrodes). This ring can be removed with some mild abrasives and will do much to restore the brightness of the bulb. Some care has to be taken when doing this - not scratching the bulb, then cleaning it with alcohol after finishing and before reinstalling - and of course not touching the envelope with your fingers once it's clean.

YMMV.. but not a bunch, BTDT on several Porsche vehicles with HID lights.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts