Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A warning to fellow Canadians ordering from Pelican Parts. Their web site states that they have a great deal with UPS for Brokerage charges of $10 on orders under $ 200. My order for $ 155US came in at just over $200 Canadian and the UPS Brokerage charge increased from $10 to $90.62. Thats not the tax or duty, just the UPS charge. So yes I should have been more careful and asked how much the rate went up if the exchange made the price cross the $ 200 barrier, but seriously 900%.

So my freight and Brokerage charges ($135) came in at almost the same price as the parts.

You have been warned, personally I am going back to Autopartsway for the rest of this restoration.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Is the problem with Pelican, or UPS? I've been screwed over by UPS so many times, I've lost count. Even though I have advised U.S. suppliers that I don't want them to use UPS for deliveries to Canada under any circumstances, they have still used them. I have come to the conclusion that UPS MUST provide better service in the States than in Canada...there is no other explanation why American companies would trust their customer relationships in Canada to such thieving incompetents. Just yesterday, UPS dropped a package at my door that was addressed to a location about 2 miles from here...it took me almost an hour on the phone in three separate phone calls to convince them of their screw-up, and a full 24 hours for them to come pick it up.

With your situation, it was UPS that pocketed the outrageous fees...Pelican should have had processes in place to alert you that your order would exceed the $200 threshold, but it was UPS that robbed you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the problem with Pelican, or UPS? I've been screwed over by UPS so many times, I've lost count. Even though I have advised U.S. suppliers that I don't want them to use UPS for deliveries to Canada under any circumstances, they have still used them. I have come to the conclusion that UPS MUST provide better service in the States than in Canada...there is no other explanation why American companies would trust their customer relationships in Canada to such thieving incompetents. Just yesterday, UPS dropped a package at my door that was addressed to a location about 2 miles from here...it took me almost an hour on the phone in three separate phone calls to convince them of their screw-up, and a full 24 hours for them to come pick it up.

With your situation, it was UPS that pocketed the outrageous fees...Pelican should have had processes in place to alert you that your order would exceed the $200 threshold, but it was UPS that robbed you.
Even if there was some kind of warning that Brokerage on purchases above the $ 200 limit will be excessive. The worst part is I ordered trim clips as the site showed they are normally ordered with the molding, and then when it arrives they also were including with the molding. Those clips took me over $200. It was more there response of not our problem, I had expected they would at least speak to UPS on their customers behalf. I have ordered from another supplier twice in the last six months, larger amounts and not had a brokerage charge like this.
Ah well, live goes on.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I don't let any courier bring a package through customs for me unless brokerage fees are included/waived... it has been my experience that any of the lower cost shipping options through a courier net HUGH brokerage fees.

I remember a time when I ordered a gallon of car wash soap from Griots, the shipping and brokerage was more than the soap, I declined the shipment and the product was dumped! Lesson learned.

Now I use a company that has a warehouse in the US and brings the items across the border in bond, I clear the items my self with customs, no surprises any more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. This sounds like a UPS issue and I learned this lesson years ago buying stuff through e-bay and Amazon. I now avoid vendors who use UPS for this exact reason; their brokerage fees are ridiculous. There is one other option: UPS' premium service to Canada (I think it's overnight express, or something similar) waives all brokerage fees. It costs a bit more, but saves money in the long run.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Im lucky enough to live on the border. I just have it delivered to a US Ship-It shop and pick it up myself then declare at customs. Half the time Customs just waves me through.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I pretty much learned to avoid UPS, FedEx, DHL ever since I started shopping online 15 years ago. I've also ranked those couriers in how much brokerage fee they charge.

I only buy items with USPS, unfortunately pretty much all online retailers for car parts are using archaic systems and shipping calculators. I mean people selling t-shirts online with Shopify is a much better set up than most car companies....I've tried to order extended lug nuts and they want $60 USD for shipping lol

I also shop with retailers that can reduce the value being declared, if not I will simply use my US forwarding address who charges a very small percentage to forward me the package and I am able to declare my own value. They will also consolidate multiple packages for me and resend it to me. Beat me having to drive to Buffalo and get unnecessary rock chips and waste of my time to do that.

Title is very misleading, you're tarnishing the name of a reputable company because of your lack of knowledge with courier brokerage fees.

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
Bump on this thread - I'm kind of surprised to see guys in London, (Ont.), Toronto and Ottawa complaining about brokerage fees on U.S. sourced goods. I live about an hour north of Montreal in the Laurentians (close to Circuit Mont-Tremblant!) and have found the simplest solution to be a mail drop just across the border crossing at Champlain, NY. These guys (Kinek) charge me $5 a package on average - I pay $15 for bigger items like tires mounted on wheels - but even with these charges, the set of four winter tires and wheels for my wife's Macan cost me about $1,200 CAD less than I would have paid in Canada. Most U.S. sellers will ship free to destinations in the U.S. but charge for shipping across the border, so that's another benefit. Beyond auto parts, I order filters for my refrigerator and espresso machine at half what I would pay in Canada for the same parts along with other stuff either hard to find here or just too expensive. I have 30 days to pick up my stuff after which they charge me additional fees for "storage". So if I need something from Autogeek, I check a list of other stuff I need and then make the trip. I'm in the U.S. for all of 10 to 20 minutes then it takes me about 15 minutes to declare my stuff and pay taxes - the trip down in my Cayman is a great day out and I save money. Just a thought....

·
Registered
305 Posts
There a bunch of businesses like Kinek servicing Toronto area. I use Crossborderpickups.ca. They provide a US ship to address and will actually take your parcels across the border on your behalf. You then pick up at their warehouse on Canadian side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts