Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
[pic=left]http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/6/3/9/dsc01277_z.jpg[/pic]Boost Your Performance with the Sprint Booster!
One of our sponsors - GMP Performance - recently sent me one of their new Sprint Booster devices to try out on my Cayman. At first I was skeptical about the product, but after having installed and tested the product I can say that it does work as advertised. If you want a more responsive e-gas throttle and the ability to "get on the gas" right away then the Sprint Booster product might be just what you are looking for.

Click Here to Read Our Installation Article

Our installation article gives you everything you need to perform the 10 minute install and get on the gas! We've also included a link to a video of the unit in action while reving the engine for comparison purposes.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hmm, looks interesting. Awaiting a few independent testers...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi Ken,

Two questions:
1. You indicated that this product “give you a similar experience to sport mode but for less money than either a full ECU tune or ordering sport chrono from the factory.” Can you elaborate on where it would fall short of the ECU tune for a car like mine with a Milltek exhaust and plenum upgrade?
2. How does one get the special $299. price you mentioned? The list price is currently $329.

Thanks for your in-depth review and install.
-Stevie

PS: Don’t you still have the lightweight flywheel? If yes, then your video clip may prove a bit misleading to those who are not aware.

·
Registered
543 Posts
So does the sprint booster add an exponential throttle curve?
Or use throttle speed application to advance a full throttle blip if unsustained?

Just wondering what it does?

:thanks:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I can see how this product can eliminate the lag time between onset of engine response, but once the throttle is wide open, I don't see how the increase in RPM can be any different between a modified and unmodified car. A lightweight flywheel or increasing the horsepower of the engine would be needed to produce a change in the rate of RPM increase. Correct?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I’m sure that the throttle-by-wire has provided Porsche with the opportunity to add some dampening effect to the way it opens the throttle.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Out of interest, how did you test the automatic / tiptronic version?
Same car, my understanding is that the automatic version isn't as agressive as the manual version because you don't want to be too agressive with the throttle with the tiptronic. The devices look identical, I think it is the programming inside that is different between the two. I'm sure you could put the manual version on a tiptronic car but it might not run as well as their tiptronic version, otherwise why have both? Maybe the sprint booster website elaborates more?

Hi Ken,

Two questions:
1. You indicated that this product “give you a similar experience to sport mode but for less money than either a full ECU tune or ordering sport chrono from the factory.” Can you elaborate on where it would fall short of the ECU tune for a car like mine with a Milltek exhaust and plenum upgrade?
2. How does one get the special $299. price you mentioned? The list price is currently $329.

Thanks for your in-depth review and install.
-Stevie

PS: Don’t you still have the lightweight flywheel? If yes, then your video clip may prove a bit misleading to those who are not aware.
1. This device only changes your e-gas throttle, it doesn't change your timing or air fuel mixture ratios or cam timing or anything else that a full ECU tune would change. If you've made other modifications like intake and exhast mods, then you want to get an ECU tune to make the full use of them.

2. I would recommend calling GMP Performance as I was told the sale price was $299 and I believe it starts Feb 1st so their website may not be updated yet.

So does the sprint booster add an exponential throttle curve?
Or use throttle speed application to advance a full throttle blip if unsustained?

Just wondering what it does?

:thanks:
I don't know how it does it exactly, but I suspect that it produces different values of 1's and 0's that the ECU reads to determine where to put the throttle vs. what you are doing with the gas pedal, not only from a raw position standpoint such as 1/4 throttle, 1/2 throttle, but also the rate of change, are you easing into the throttle or mashing it down. It certainly makes the throttle feel more sensitive and lively. Perhaps their website or GMP Performance can shed more light on exactly what electronic methods are used.

I’m sure that the throttle-by-wire has provided Porsche with the opportunity to add some dampening effect to the way it opens the throttle.
My understanding is that statement it true, that Porsche can program a different throttle feel for every car they make if they want to, but that they give the customer what Porsche wants to give them, and in part that is how sport chrono was born, Porsche decided to offer multiple throttle maps, standard and sport, but there is no reason why you couldn't get others. While the Sprint Booster provides 2 options (Manual and Automatic transmission version maps) I see no reason why someone couldn't write some software to adjust those maps and let owners pick and choose values within a range that they like to suit their own driving styles, then save those maps to a chip in a device like the sprint booster and plug it in, in other words a user customizeable throttle. No idea what that would cost though.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Note :
CAYMAN - AUTO TRANS
Part Number SPR2120A

CAYMAN - MANUAL TRANS
Part Number SPR2120
Actually my boxes have labels that say:

SBPO0001 - that's for manual transmission
SBPO0002 - that's for auto tranny

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Hmm...interesting. I didn't get Sport Chrono, so this is quite appealing.

·
Registered
494 Posts
My understanding is that statement it true, that Porsche can program a different throttle feel for every car they make if they want to, but that they give the customer what Porsche wants to give them, and in part that is how sport chrono was born, Porsche decided to offer multiple throttle maps, standard and sport, but there is no reason why you couldn't get others.
Isn't this part of what the Softronic tuning does? Can the same thing be achieved with an ECU tune?

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
There is no substitute!
954 Posts
I have the Sports Mode from Softronic, hence I'm interested as well on the effect of installing this device. Moreover, my CS is a Tiptronic, which to my understanding will not show as much change as the manual version of this device.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the Sports Mode from Softronic, hence I'm interested as well on the effect of installing this device. Moreover, my CS is a Tiptronic, which to my understanding will not show as much change as the manual version of this device.
I don't know how much change you will feel, it may not be a lot, I would recommend buying from someplace that has a good return policy if you don't like the results.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey guys, Ken, thanks for the detailed review. I have made an independent post in the Sponsors forum with the links to our site. The pricing has been updated with the special pricing. Here is the link: http://www.caymanclub.net/site-vendors-sponsors/29967-sprint-booster-your-cayman-available-gmp-performance.html

Karrera4,
We are offering a 30 day money back guarantee for you guys to do your own independent testing. I know it sounds like an infomercial offer but you truly have to try this to believe it.

ul2fly and finance09,
I can compare the unit as a traditional car with a cable activated throttle. It eliminates the "lag" or "dead-pedal" feeling you get from a drive by wire or computer controlled vehicle.

When I first started driving the DBW vehicles, I had to learn to modulate the pedal. You would have to push the pedal down half way to get response and then let off a bit to not "peel out". The Sprint Booster eliminates this feel and when you press the gas, it goes. Simple. You actually have to re-learn that actual input leads to actual response and you may be a bit jerky when you first install the unit.

In addition to this, I appreciate the change you get at speed, even more so than the change at roll-off. For example, when you are on the interstate following a vehicle and you are trying to keep your distance, DBW vehicles have a certain amount of roll, or continuation. When you correct your speed, the vehicle continues to roll and sometimes you have to apply brake to maintain safe distances. The Sprint Booster is a more direct input so when you let off the throttle, the car slows down and no longer rolls.

The Sprint Booster is such a difference from when you can literally "bounce" the throttle and not get any response to tapping the throttle and getting a much quicker response.

This truly is a piece you have to install and feel for yourself. With our 30-day deal, you will only be out a few minutes of your time to install the item and see if you like it for yourself.

·
Registered
431 Posts
GMP--

Thanks for the great offer, and for taking care of my concerns with the 30-day return policy. It is always nice to be able to test a product on your own car, then decide how it feels!

Kent

1 - 20 of 174 Posts