Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Totally agree with all the above comments..

I tried both the 'manual' and 'auto' version in my 2.7 Tip. courtesy of the kind workshop I fitted this at...

The 'manual' version is too jumpy (given heightened throttle sensitivity)

As I would prefer some throttle delicacy (eg. the ability to control the 50-100% throttle application zone, which hits 100% WOT at circa pedal travel 75%..?), the 'auto' version was my end selection vs the 'manual' version (which hit 100% WOT at circa pedal travel 50%..?)

Think of the 'auto SB' as an analog dail version vs the 'manual SB' as a digital (on/off) version

hope this helps those who need a comparison

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi,

it seems to me from what has been posted here that most folks with manual transmissions, that tried both versions of the sprint booster ended up picking the auto version.

I don't recall seeing a single post from anyone who tried both versions but picked the manual version, which is interesting.

I take it that the consenus is, even with a manual car, especially one thats in daily use that the auto version is the way to go?

True/False what do you folks think?

thanks

mark

·
Know-it-all
120 Posts
I found the manual version way too touchy to be enjoyable, daily driver or no. I haven't tried the auto version. Decided to go with a Softronic flash instead.

·
The 2006-08 Cayman LED spar guy!
6,013 Posts
Hi,

it seems to me from what has been posted here that most folks with manual transmissions, that tried both versions of the sprint booster ended up picking the auto version.

I don't recall seeing a single post from anyone who tried both versions but picked the manual version, which is interesting.

I take it that the consensus is, even with a manual car, especially one thats in daily use that the auto version is the way to go?

thanks

mark
Hello Mark,

Respectfully, contrary to the consensus (if there actually is one) I am completely satisfied with the immediacy of the throttle response with the manual version of the Sprint Booster on my 2007 CS with a 6-speed manual. Furthermore, also equipped with "Sports Chrono", if I inadvertently failed to activate "Sport Mode", I will quickly establish the change in throttle response and always return to Sport Mode at once.

You can read more specifics about my Sprint Booster experience on post #42 within this thread.

Regards,
Joe

·
6,013 Posts
Just one more comment...

I no longer need to defeat the clutch (retard?) switch [see http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-modifications/25405-clutch-delay-switch-defeated-joy-7.html ] now that I'm enjoying the Sprint Booster. It is just perfect...haven't stalled the engine once since installing the SB.

People's reports that 1/2 or 3/4 throttle equals full throttle are totally inaccurate. To my testing, only full throttle pedal position yields a full open throttle. The Sprint Booster primarily eliminates the OEM delay that is present when advancing the throttle pedal from one position to any greater position.

Best Regards,
Joe

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Just one more comment...

I no longer need to defeat the clutch (retard?) switch [see http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-modifications/25405-clutch-delay-switch-defeated-joy-7.html ] now that I'm enjoying the Sprint Booster. It is just perfect...haven't stalled the engine once since installing the SB.
Are you saying you have reconnected the clutch switch after installing Sprintbooster?

Also, is the current model Sprintbooster compatible with Gen II Cayman's?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey guys please keep in mind that the sprint booster is completely unrelated to any ECU or TCU programming you can have done. Any programming done is directly related to engine and transmission performance only. You can still notice a difference with the sprint booster installed even if you have installed ECU programming. The ECU has no control over the throttle lag from the position sensor behind the gas pedal. This is a sensor that actually sends the message to the ECU first before the ECU tells the engine or transmission what to do.

·
6,013 Posts
Are you saying you have reconnected the clutch switch after installing Sprintbooster?

Also, is the current model Sprintbooster compatible with Gen II Cayman's?
Hello Capercat,

Yes, I restored my clutch switch to the factory configuration and am 100% satisfied with the results using the manual version of the Sprint Booster.

Regards,
Joe

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Hello Capercat,

Yes, I restored my clutch switch to the factory configuration and am 100% satisfied with the results using the manual version of the Sprint Booster.

Regards,
Joe
Thanks, I'm now waiting on a response from GMP as to the compatibility with Gen II :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi,

I take it that the consenus is, even with a manual car, especially one thats in daily use that the auto version is the way to go?

thanks

mark
I have been using the manual version for about a year. I am very happy with it. U just get used to how it feels with in a month.:dance:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Blue eyes I think your dead right on that one, you definately need to relearn how to drive your car all over again. I think that certain people once they feel that "jerkiness" to it they think right away they are not going to like it and take it out instead of trying to adjust your way of driving to take advantage of the improved response.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just put this in my 09 Boxster 2.9L and it is FANTASTIC. Yes, it works on Gen II with PDK beautifully... Seems the shifting is even smoother than before. This product is a requirement if you're not spending a lot on upgrades and want to enjoy your Porsche even more.

:banana:

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I think I will need to try this product. I don't like the lag that this gas pedal feels, but I've never been faced with the feel of my own potential shortcomings with this immediate-responsive engine (do you think this a Porsche market test? - mean the lag-test, not the anti-lag). This will be a learning experience for sure.

edit- But I think that Porsche should not be worried about coddling us; we're PORSCHE DRIVERS BECAUSE WE CHOOSE. If the car is nervous or twitchy, P should fix that. If the motor is too responsive, then we shouldn't be driving a Porsche.

·
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
922 Posts
I've had the manual version for some months now, and went to a DE this past weekend for the first time with the Booster in place.

It took a bit of time to get smooth with the throttle (honestly, I still have some issues every now and then on the street) application, but in the end the quicker response to throttle made it amazingly easy to locate the car on the track with my right foot. On the gas - track out further, off the gas - tighten up the line. Cool! :dance:

I've gained some additional track experience for sure (and I'm no great driver for sure either), but I do think the Booster made a noticable difference in my ability to control the car.

121 - 140 of 174 Posts