Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need opinions based upon experience - which PFC compound do YOU use at the track - what is preferred?

*I will be carrying these* :thanks:

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
I currently run 01s front 97s rear. I have tried the 03s and 06s as well but like the 01 best for feel. In most cars the rear pad is used considerably less and has quite a bit less impact on feel. (911 being an obvious difference) The 01s will stand up to about anything while being relatively easy on rotors. They have great initial torque and a very crisp release. They also work less from a material transfer stand point which aids cooling and swapping back to street for DE cars. For my money there's not a better pad out there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I currently run 01s front 97s rear. I have tried the 03s and 06s as well but like the 01 best for feel. In most cars the rear pad is used considerably less and has quite a bit less impact on feel. (911 being an obvious difference) The 01s will stand up to about anything while being relatively easy on rotors. They have great initial torque and a very crisp release. They also work less from a material transfer stand point which aids cooling and swapping back to street for DE cars. For my money there's not a better pad out there.
Gotta agree, for the most part. I like 01s all around. Love the initial bite and the modulation feel. Longevity on the front much better than the Hawk Blues I had before. Agree that material transfer to rotor is much less, too. Rotors like them so far. I plan to use 01s for the season.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it's official :

I will be carrying Performance Friction PADS for all Porsche cars -
...AND ROTORS for the 996 and Cayman S as well as for the 996 GT3 front; shipment is on the way!

Hang tight, I'll be working over the next week to update the site -

In the meantime, e-mail me at [email protected] with what you will require; I WILL have it shortly. It will be worth the brief wait until they arrive - about 4-5 business days is all

·
Registered
903 Posts
Adding to the list, does anyone have any feedback on the new PF 11's? I talked to a PF rep at PRI, and he suggested them as an improvement over 01's.

I liked 01's on my 350Z, didn't like the lack of initial bite with the 06's on my CS, & my current Pagid RS29 Yellows lack initial bite also, while wearing like endurance pads.

·
Registered
126 Posts
How about the PF08s? Are the PF rotors the same diameter as stock (06 S)?

·
Registered
182 Posts
How about the PF08s? Are the PF rotors the same diameter as stock (06 S)?
PFC now has 08's for Cayman S front and rear. Nice pad, using now. Moderate initial bite, but nice wear, easy on the rotors so far, yet to overheat them and easy to modulate. Probably not the choice for ultimate performance, but i like them much better than the Pagid Oranges they replaced.

·
Registered
903 Posts
i like them much better than the Pagid Oranges they replaced.

What do you like about the PF08's more than the Pagid's? Quieter? Less dust? Longer (?) lasting? Cost? More initial bite? More heat resistant? Color?

·
Registered
182 Posts
What do you like about the PF08's more than the Pagid's? Quieter? Less dust? Longer (?) lasting? Cost? More initial bite? More heat resistant? Color?
The color most importantly! LOL

Seriously though....based on track use, as neither are ideal for the street (noise/dust/not good cold bite) the Pagid had more initial bite but the PFC is much smoother and consistent. The pagid was probably better at quick stabs of the brakes, but the PFC gives me the same feel from the first lap to the last. Both pads seem to have good life, but after the pagids tore through a 2nd set of rotors it was time for a change. The PFCs so far are significantly easier on the rotors. The PFCs seem to create less dust also. Everyone has their own preferences and I know a lot of Cayman trackers love the Pagid yellows. But I would not buy the Pagid Orange again.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Color is VERY important. Yellow clashes with the red calipers......

Thanks for the info. I briefly talked to a PF rep. at the PRI show, and he mentioned PF11 as having very good initial bite, but I can't find info about them on their web site. I guess a phone call is in order.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I did talk to the PFC rep, and he was high on the new 11's. He did advise that the 08's were easier on the rotors and probably the better choice for me and my Cayman. But I would like to try them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've been using Pagid Yellows all around for the last couple of years, mainly because I got 2 sets with the car when I bought it. They seem to work fine, but not as impressive as the PF01/97 setup I had on my supercharged E36 M3.
The Performance Friction pads provided a great initial bite that I really liked.

My GT3 friends are raving about the new PF08 pads...PF's endurance compound.

Anybody have any comments on Pagid vs PF for a Cayman S? I'm leaning towards a PF08 setup, because of longevity and the bite. That being said, my old PF01/97 setup was awesome and for HPDE days, served me just fine.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have been running PF 06 front and 08 rear pads. This was the set up recommended when I purchased them. More bite up front and a bit less in the back. I have been pleased with the results, but open to others experience here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
WE are a PFC Distributor and can add the following regarding compounds
....97, 01 and 06 compounds are all out of production.
97 Compound was discontinued in favor of the 06 compound then 06 was discontinued in favor of 08 compound. 01 compound has been discontinued and replaced by the 11 compound.
We still have 1 set of 0776 in 06 compound in stock.
So currently PFC is offering Porsche pads in either 08 or 11 compound.
08 compound is their endurance pad.... characteristics are good initial bite
great modulation....the pad lasts all the way to the backing plate.
This compound is what helped PFC become the Porsche Motorsport
Brake Partner.
All Porsche race cars are now coming from the factory with all PFC brakes.
11 compound has the greatest initial bite and is preferred by racers
who are serious about wanting to out brake their competitors in sprint races.
We stock all Porsche and BMW PFC motorsports pads and most rotors and hats.
WE have the pads in 11 compound for the new Cayman but don't as yet have them on our site.
Here is a link to our Porsche page for PFC
OMP Sport, HANS Device, SA2010 Racing Helmets, Necksgen, Schroth Harness, Stilo Helmets, Cobra Seats
Entering Promo Code Planet 9 will get you a solid 10% off of our web prices.
Any questions give me a call. 843 299 0997 or 866 505 2739

·
Registered
182 Posts
Apex has treated me right everytime. I recommend them.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Thank you Apex for explaining the PF numerology. I see a set of PF11's in my future......

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
WE are a PFC Distributor and can add the following regarding compounds
....97, 01 and 06 compounds are all out of production.
97 Compound was discontinued in favor of the 06 compound then 06 was discontinued in favor of 08 compound. 01 compound has been discontinued and replaced by the 11 compound.
We still have 1 set of 0776 in 06 compound in stock.
So currently PFC is offering Porsche pads in either 08 or 11 compound.
08 compound is their endurance pad.... characteristics are good initial bite
great modulation....the pad lasts all the way to the backing plate.
This compound is what helped PFC become the Porsche Motorsport
Brake Partner.
All Porsche race cars are now coming from the factory with all PFC brakes.
11 compound has the greatest initial bite and is preferred by racers
who are serious about wanting to out brake their competitors in sprint races.
We stock all Porsche and BMW PFC motorsports pads and most rotors and hats.
WE have the pads in 11 compound for the new Cayman but don't as yet have them on our site.
Here is a link to our Porsche page for PFC
OMP Sport, HANS Device, SA2010 Racing Helmets, Necksgen, Schroth Harness, Stilo Helmets, Cobra Seats
Entering Promo Code Planet 9 will get you a solid 10% off of our web prices.
Any questions give me a call. 843 299 0997 or 866 505 2739
Can you let me know the price for a front and rear set of PFC 11s for a 2014 Carrera S (991)?

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
The color most importantly! LOL

Seriously though....based on track use, as neither are ideal for the street (noise/dust/not good cold bite) the Pagid had more initial bite but the PFC is much smoother and consistent. The pagid was probably better at quick stabs of the brakes, but the PFC gives me the same feel from the first lap to the last. Both pads seem to have good life, but after the pagids tore through a 2nd set of rotors it was time for a change. The PFCs so far are significantly easier on the rotors. The PFCs seem to create less dust also. Everyone has their own preferences and I know a lot of Cayman trackers love the Pagid yellows. But I would not buy the Pagid Orange again.
All:

Just to chime in with Russ, Pagid Orange are not my favorite either.

I used several sets on my E36 M3. Too much initial bite and kind of difficult to modulate. Also they are very sensitive to switching compounds. I had the worst trouble with that with those pads over any other I've ever used. If you didn't wash the rotors thoroughly with Windex on both sides (which I do now every pad change…and with NEW rotors too), this black, sticky goo would form on the rotors and cause massive brake judder.

Also mention that I had a set of Cool Carbons for the same car. I think they may be gone or got bought or something. Are they related to PF? I don't know for sure, but those things were amazing. If you had a set of grooved rotors, you could use Cool Carbons on them for a couple laps and they'd be smooth again! They didn't seem to wear at all, but they shined up rotors like nothing I've ever seen. They also stopped great on track with no fade at all. THE WORST pad for driving home from the track. REALLY LOUD at a stop light.

Added thought: Those jumping right into PF 11s might find out what too grabby means. Your brakes should not take your attention away from driving. These 11s are going to really require a light pedal pressure to keep off the ABS. I have Pagid Yellow now. They're OK when warm but not my favorite. I got them because I'm cheap and I know they'll last for a full season of DEs. If I were getting new pads now, It'd be 08s. In fact, I may get a set for the front anyway because I think the initial bite will be better they yellows. I've had some situations where Yellows almost didn't stop me. Woah, Nelly!

:cheers:

Reactions: DSC928
1 - 20 of 25 Posts