Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to do a track day with a buddy soon who has a 95 993. He definitely has more displacement (3.6 vs 2.9) but 272 hp. How should I expect my 265 hp to hold up to his car? I am betting that he will have more low end torque, but the moderness of my car will make it easier for me to stick with him?

We are pretty even as far as drivers go, novice with a few HPDE days in non P-Cars.

I know this is a crazy question, but since I do remind him that the mid engine layout is best I want to know if I should be able to hold up on the track with similar HP numbers.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
At 1st glance you would think the cars are similar, but there are too many variables to tell...
Has he done any suspension work to his car or is he running on 20+ yr old components?
Are you running similar tires?
How well do each of you know the track? Just because you've done the same # of DEs doesn't mean you learn at the same rate.

My brother and I used to run DEs together. He had an 88 944 Turbo S chipped to 300hp, I have my 303hp CSS. On paper, similar cars. He is a better technical driver than me and could run slightly faster than me on long straights, but I would beat him by a cpl seconds / lap because my suspension was better than his and my trans gearing seemed more suited to the tracks we ran. Sometimes I would let him start in front of me and see how many laps he could hold me off.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It may come down to tires. Both cars are faster than most drivers.

Not to be a nanny, but please remember that a track day is not a race, and not a time to see who is faster. Your cars will be a lot slower after smacking the wall. ;)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
depends on the track/road to be used.... and driver skill....

there can be situations where cars with 2x the HP can't outrun you except in the straights... and cars with less HP running rings around me as they were driven by experts.

have fun and stay safe.... and let us know the outcome!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses guys. Not necessarily trying to see who is faster, basically wanted to make sure we would have even enough runs to stay together. As far as skill, I probably have him beat there just from understanding of lines and racing go karts growing up.

As far as the cars, both are stock. I am running Goodyear Eagle GT1 tires and he's running Continentals DW something I think - not really sure. All in all I'm just hoping for a fun time and to leave without breaking anything on the car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have times from my 94 RS America, stock, Hoosiers, at Sebring, probably 3000 mi, now a 2010 base 6 speed Cayman. 250/265hp. I think the Cayman would be quicker.
Being a long term 911 guy, I'm used to the stability and predictability a 911 provides, but I believe it feels slower.
The Cayman to me is a little more unpredictible at the limit. The 911, put your foot in it and hang on it'll be fine. We shall see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
995 Posts
Gotta agree with all the above, BUT everything else being equal, I think you guys will find you'll be able to stay very close to each other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts