Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering moving to Vegas for a year. There are many 100+ degree days there in the summer. How does the Cayman perform at these high temperatures? Anything I should worry about?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Well it gets over 125F here and even in stop start traffic or really pushing it the coolant temp never moves above the standard.

I've even been on the track in around 105F and the only thing which had a problem was the brake fluid boiling. This was due to it being 2 years old and with the humidity here the fluid was probably saturated with water....anyway I learnt from that and will be changing my fluid every 6 months instead as most will recommend on here, esepcially when/if tracking your car.

I have quite a few friends with CS's (Gen 1 and Gen 2) and none has had any temperature related issues.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
I think the gen 2 gets a lot hotter than gen 1. The air coming out of the front near the tyre was seriously hot. Gauge looked ok though.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Heat removal is the primary reason I am considering wrapping or coating my headers and exhaust pipe back to the muffler, i.e., shove the heat out the exhaust. There is also a very slight performance increase due to slight decrease in total mass in the exhaust system (ignoring resonance effects).

·
3,755 Posts
Actually an aftermarket exhaust is a lot cooler than stock even if you dont do anything extra.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
As long as your talking street use there should be no problem. This car is used in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and many other places without any modifications.

For track I added the center radiator( automatic transmition) for my manual car as cheap insurance. I have never had problems, even before I added the radiator. I think I consume less power steering liquid, but that is anecdotal. I have no way to know for sure.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I don't think the stock cooling gauge on my Gen 2 would move from normal if dropped the car in in a BOF charge vessel :)

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Remember the coolant temperature guage is basically a dumb light after it touches 175 F, it does not move until its something like 225. Do a search and you can find lots more on the subject.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I think that was Alan's point. BOF = basic oxygen furnace. Used for turning iron ore into steel. Rather warm.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Hot indeed. Shame it points out the idiot light er guage aspect of the thing. My 944S2 lacked numbers but at least the needle moved allowing one to judge if there was trouble coming or not.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
But you can imagine the number of complaints worried customers would file to Porsche if it moved and did not act as dumb lights!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hope the A/C feels cold in 100 degree farenheit. I remember my buddies rental car Hyundai blowing out hot air within 5 inches of the outlets :eek:

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Actually an aftermarket exhaust is a lot cooler than stock even if you dont do anything extra.
That makes sense due to the higher flow, but I worry about radiated heat and the proximity to hoses, struts, etc.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I hope the A/C feels cold in 100 degree farenheit. I remember my buddies rental car Hyundai blowing out hot air within 5 inches of the outlets :eek:
It does... I remember while in Qatar, I got out of the Gym and into my car to find the temp @ 52c. That's 125.6F. On the AC comes and within a few minutes the temp inside was back to human livable temps!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I live in Vegas and you'll have no issues if your car is in good operating condition.I installed the 3rd radiator kit and the oil sump extension as preventive measures but not necessary - welcome to Sin City:beer:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have never heard this before. Can you explain why? Do you mean that the exhaust gasses out the tail pipe are cooler or that the radiated heat to the engine compartment is less?

·
3,755 Posts
I have never heard this before. Can you explain why? Do you mean that the exhaust gasses out the tail pipe are cooler or that the radiated heat to the engine compartment is less?
Meaning the heat under the car is less. Exhaust gas vents faster and quicker out the rear. Thus less heat is pooled and radiated underside. Gasses exiting may be hotter, although thats ok as its away from the car now.

·
Registered
527 Posts
We went up and over the pass at hoover dam in stop and go traffic for over an hour in 112 degrees... this was with the TPC turbo and air conditioning on.

Temps int he engine rose 5 degrees ( we monitored this on the Performance computer from the LBD port :) )

Highly impressed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts