Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does your local performance shop charge? Not the Porsche dealers. In the Baltimore area it is 110.00 per hour. I quess the real question is how many hours do they charge to do a specific job. I quess unless you do the mods yourself, you must "pay the piper".

Thank everyone for your input.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I live in Baltimore and the shop I've gone to charges about that amount as well, however they only charge for the actual time spent working on the car. Most shops have a charge book for reference which lists "allowable" billable time for a certain procedure, that's how they determine the number hours they will bill you for. What happens is that many procedures take far less "book" time to perform, so the repair shop has the opportunity to make a killing in labor fees when they can do the repair for a fraction of the time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
IMHO a reputable shop is a great value. Someone you can trust with your car is important.

If you know what the cost is up front then it's up to you to determine the "value".

We do all of our own mod work in the barn. I farm out oil changes because I don't like doing them and the local lube is top notch and a good place to BS.

Just like anyone your mechanic needs to make a profit and feed his/her family the labor rate also reflects overhead, things like licensing,insurance,workman's comp,mortgage,equipment, etc etc.

my .02

·
Registered
992 Posts
I prefer shops that quote by the job instead of by the hour. It eliminates any nasty surprises at the end and shows you that they have experience with that particular job from before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts