Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Finally found a peridot green R, perfectly optioned (none except A/C and radio). Phone snap with BBS CH-R wheels.
Is this considered highly desirable? Mine also has the sports bucket seats, PDK w/sports crono package and the moving xenon headlights.

I'm not planning to sell it for a while but if they ever come out with a street GT4 with PDK . . .

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RB,

I found mine to be highly desirable to ME. Yours is probably highly desirable to lots of people too. I wouldn't want PDK so it would be a deal breaker. It would have been nice to have the xenons, for sure. There are plenty of people who love the PDK and would want your car.

What I was really saying was that to ME the ideal Cayman R build would add nothing to the lightened chassis except A/C and radio to make it livable on the street. My car still weighs under 2900 pounds and is as analog as any Porsche built in the last 15 years.

Is yours peridot green?

·
Incurable Gearhead
942 Posts
Sweet. Even sexier on the factory wheels. Congrats on the find!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet. Even sexier on the factory wheels. Congrats on the find!
I usually like silver wheels but here I prefer the black, they seem to go with the car. I had the BBSs as track wheels for a Cayman GTS and they have just slightly more aggressive offset, maybe 5mm, than the Spyder wheels, and look great to me.

I'm a wheel nut anyways, and am having a BBS Motorsport E88 set made in 18 inch size for both my 987s. Black centers, machined lip. We'll see, but that has a chance to look decent on this car.

First world problems, eh?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Welcome to the "R" club.

I picked up mine about a year and half ago and it is one of the funnest (is that actually a word) cars that I have owned in years. Somehow I managed to put 4500 miles on it and I only live 8 miles from work and have 3 personal cars & a 4Runner.

This year I plan to do a cosmetic changes to the car and other then that just drive it.

2017 06-03 MTB Palos Farley 9 (1).jpg

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a great color too, I essentially traded a sapphire blue Cayman GTS to get the R.

The buckets are fantastic, can't wait to try them on the track.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Great find, love the color and the simple spec. I have a Peridot R as well (original owner): A/C and radio delete, PDK, PSE exhaust. Only thing I would have done differently is to skip the PSE and go with something aftermarket.

Cheers,
DJM

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey, DJM glad to hear you say that about the PSE. I thought about retrofitting one when I got the car but have been thinking that I really like the OEM exhaust as it is. It definitely sounds deeper and better than the exhaust on my Boxster S. If I can ask, what does the PSE one sound like when you open up the baffle? I had the PSA on my 981 Cayman GTS and I really liked it, but there Porsche also added the fake but fun overrev burbles and pops.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The buckets are great on track. Highly recommend using 6 point harness and a good HANS device.
Yeah, but I need a harness bar and an airbag cutoff switch if I go that route. I've been down that path before, I don't think it will happen in this car.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey, DJM glad to hear you say that about the PSE. I thought about retrofitting one when I got the car but have been thinking that I really like the OEM exhaust as it is. It definitely sounds deeper and better than the exhaust on my Boxster S. If I can ask, what does the PSE one sound like when you open up the baffle? I had the PSA on my 981 Cayman GTS and I really liked it, but there Porsche also added the fake but fun overrev burbles and pops.
PSE is certainly nice and better sounding than the 'plain' OEM exhaust. However, considering the high cost (I think it was a $3200 option), I would have preferred to use the $3200 to buy an aftermarket system of my choice.

PSE sounds nice with the valves open, though I would prefer if it was even louder. It does a bit of crackling a popping, which has become a bot more prevalent over time, but not in the artificial way like on the 981 (which I do not care for). With the valves closed it is very quiet and civilized. I've actually modified my PSE to have the valves open all the time (simple change, just unplug the solenoid, takes 30 seconds).

In your situation, I'd probably consider doing the Carnewal exhaust mod; Cantrell Motorsport in Washington state does the mod for $650.

If you really think you want PSE, let me know -- I'd be willing to swap with you.

Cheers,
DJM

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah, but I need a harness bar and an airbag cutoff switch if I go that route. I've been down that path before, I don't think it will happen in this car.
I have 6 points on both my seats (LWB); harness bar is an easy install, sub bars are simple bolt-in affairs. No need to disable airbags.

Cheers,
DJM

1 - 20 of 21 Posts