Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried PFC 08 pads for the first time last weekend at Hallett. I have been running Pagid RSL29's. They were about 2/3 the cost of Pagids so I thought I'd give them a try. I have new rotors all around which happened to coincide with the new pads.

First impressions: They have a bit more initial bite and probably a bit more stopping power all-around. More of a grindy metal sound when cold compared to squeaking of the Pagids.

Temps must run hotter because this was the first time I've had issues with brake fade. The brakes started fading about 3/4 through my third session and I had to nurse them the rest of the weekend.

I had 4 months daily driving & 4 track days on my Motul RBF 600. The fluid was brown when I did a small bleed to check for bubbles, so I definitely toasted the fluid. I usually go 6 months and 6-8 track days and the fluid still looks like new when I do a fluid flush. Last year when I was at Hallet, I had just come from a 3-day at COTA in >100F ambient and had another 2 track days on the fluid, so close to apples-to-apples.

The PTV and PSM seemed to drag on the car a little more than usual, which probably contributed to over-cooking the fluid.

Next time I'll try with new fluid. I may have to run RBF 660 or SRF with these pads - something with more temperature tolerance.

I'll provide a wear comparison when I get through this set.

I'd be curious to see if anyone else has had similar experience with PFC 08's

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After a couple weeks of daily-driving, the brake squealing got to be too much - as bad as the Pagid's. I had to switch back to OEM pads for daily-driving, so scratch that as one of the potential positives for PFC's.

During the pad swap, I flushed my brake fluid. The old fluid was a dark amber and appeared thicker than normal. So, I definitely cooked the fluid with the PFC's. I put back in RBF600 for another try.

I bought some RBF660 in case I have the same problem again to at least get through this set of PFCs'.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you like brakes with initial bite, I would recommend Raybestos ST-43 compounds. I’m pretty happy with mine. Btw, Motul 600 has a higher dry boiling point that 660. It’s always a good idea to bleed a little fluid out of each caliper (3-4 pumps) after each track day.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take a look at Raybestos next time around.

BTW - Per Motul, RBF 660 dry boiling point is 617F (325C) and a wet boiling point of 400F (204C). RBF 600 dry boiling point 594F (312C), w/same wet boiling point. Not sure that small amount really makes much difference.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I tried PFC 08 pads for the first time last weekend at Hallett. I have been running Pagid RSL29's. They were about 2/3 the cost of Pagids so I thought I'd give them a try. I have new rotors all around which happened to coincide with the new pads.

First impressions: They have a bit more initial bite and probably a bit more stopping power all-around. More of a grindy metal sound when cold compared to squeaking of the Pagids.

Temps must run hotter because this was the first time I've had issues with brake fade. The brakes started fading about 3/4 through my third session and I had to nurse them the rest of the weekend.

I had 4 months daily driving & 4 track days on my Motul RBF 600. The fluid was brown when I did a small bleed to check for bubbles, so I definitely toasted the fluid. I usually go 6 months and 6-8 track days and the fluid still looks like new when I do a fluid flush. Last year when I was at Hallet, I had just come from a 3-day at COTA in >100F ambient and had another 2 track days on the fluid, so close to apples-to-apples.

The PTV and PSM seemed to drag on the car a little more than usual, which probably contributed to over-cooking the fluid.

Next time I'll try with new fluid. I may have to run RBF 660 or SRF with these pads - something with more temperature tolerance.

I'll provide a wear comparison when I get through this set.

I'd be curious to see if anyone else has had similar experience with PFC 08's
I had PFC’s on my CGTS and managed to endure the noise. They were definitely much better than OEM at the track. I am on my second set of Ferodo DS 1.11 on my GT4, and they are better than the stock—apparently Pagid pads. They are terrific on the track and pretty durable. They are not as loud as PFC’s but they are not quiet either. It may come down to swapping out pads if you find the noise unbearable for street driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Give Brembo RE-10's a try. Maybe a tad less initial bite, but no noise at all and last much longer than the 08's. I only tried a set because they came with the track car I recently purchased. Love them!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Everything I read seemed to indicate the PFC 08 was a slightly better choice than the Pagid RS29s for track pads. The RE-10s have a higher ceramic content which decreases their bite but increases their durability; supposed to be great but they are nearly twice the price of the other options. The ST-43 has so much bite I had to adjust my brake points back and lighten the pressure; very different from the RS29. I do not have experience with the DS1.11 but I've been considering them.

I wouldn't recommend any of the pads in this thread on the street for anything other than scrubbing pad deposits off of the rotors, however.

I've run the RBF600 for a number of years on my S2000 and now my 14 CS. It is just very affordable but isn't up to the demands of the OEM braking system. My fluid doesn't turn dark after a day or weekend, but it does get bubbles after a single hard session. I run with PASM off and my front calipers are yellowing (as opposed to the back for those running with PSM).

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another data point. I ran this weekend at Eagles Canyon Raceway (Decatur, TX) 1.65 mile course. It's a technical track with a lot of elevation change and 8-11 turns, depending on how you count them (there are 3 A/B turns coupled together).

I had fresh RBF600 from about 2 months ago with no track days. The brakes didn't experience any fade, and I didn't boil the fluid. However, they seem to be more mushy than I remember from the Pagids, so not as confidence-inspiring. They also seem to have less initial bite, but modulate well.

Contrary to what PFC claims on the package, they produce a ton of dust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts