Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first drove the modern iteration of the Boxster, it was a 2014 PDK S model. Instant smitten. My retirement date was getting close, and I had long ago promised myself a "convertible" with a manual transmission as a "retirement gift" to myself. (I always loved Porsche cars since the day I drove my first one....a 911 in 1968) But was owning a Porsche really on my radar? I didn't realize at that moment that it was. Out of curiosity, I went to several dealers and was able to drive both base model and S model with a manual transmission. Loved them both. The look was right, the feel was right, and I had a big smile on my face and had to have one. I was one of the early orders for the 2015 Boxster S model, with all the goodies that I wanted. What a great car this was going to be for my wife and I to take trips in and have fun in. However, just after ordering the car, Porsche introduced the GTS. What have I done? Will my car be "outdated" by an improved model? Some time of wondering about this past. And after what seemed like a forever wait, my car arrived, and I was happy. Now I look at some of my thought processes that took place after the introduction of the new GTS model. The GTS is lower....wow, my car is already very low. The GTS is supposed to be faster...my car is already fast. The GTS has a firmer suspension....I like firm suspensions, but my car already rides perfectly for my needs. The GTS has many of the goodies I ordered on my car.....however it has things I don't want or need....and now there is the GT4, wow......this is a race car, capable for street use, how intoxicating. (I raced cars years ago....drag racing and some SCCA racing, so I do love fast cars) And I suspect the car magazines and other car "experts" will wax poetically about the GT4 car. Have I made a mistake??....... I think not. The issue I see, is there will always be a faster car (no matter what you own) Always be a car with more "goodies", (no matter what you own), and always be a car that is more expensive, (no matter what you own). Do I begrudge anyone who wants faster, better, etc. of course not. I have been there, done that. Do I look at these new iterations with admiration.....absolutely. Will I race my Porsche, I doubt it. But will I be motivated to want to change what I have now.......right now, I doubt it as my car seems to fit me and my needs very well.... but never say never, as only time will tell. The next models will have 4 cylinder engines; this is the "wave of the future". Nothing wrong with that, probably better gas mileage and the engines are lighter in weight. They will have turbo chargers, again, nothing wrong with that. Turbo technology today is pretty amazing. Will my 6 cylinder naturally aspirated flat 6 become a classic.....in my mind it already is. I have owned many turbo cars, ie: Saab, Audi, Volvo. and they are fine. Turbo power is awesome. (However, not as linear a response as naturally aspirated though, but a rush nevertheless.) What follows the GT4???? My learned and shared philosophy is that Porsche designs and builds great cars (and SUV's) at all levels, as they offer so much for anyone who appreciates cars to enjoy at all levels. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Here's how I see it.

It's no different than any other piece of technology on the market. You buy a brand new spanking TV and it will be "outdated" with something better in a few months.

Same thing with a cellphone. There is always going to be something better, be happy with the choice you made and I think all will be well.

This is how Porsche will drive sales, and some people will trade in their car to upgrade. More CPOs for Porsche, win/win situation.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
... there will always be a faster car (no matter what you own) Always be a car with more "goodies", (no matter what you own), and always be a car that is more expensive, (no matter what you own).
Applaud -

Very well said. A poor man chases technology (or the Jones).

·
Registered
845 Posts
By introducing the fast track GT4 car, which does not suit my driving style, all the Cayman models automatically receives more notoriety in the Porsche family. IMHO, we get to appreciate the purchases we make even more :dance:

·
Registered
209 Posts
All of these variants of the 981 make me wonder if Porsche is grooming the Cayman for the top dog race car position. The performance numbers for the GT4 are very impressive. If you thought the GTS made the CS seem slow, then consider that the GT4 is a 1/2 second quicker than the GTS. Maybe Porsche is seeing the mid-engine design inherently superior than the 911 for all-out track purposes.

(BTW, if anyone writes a long post, please use paragraphs. It's just so much easier to read.)

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
All of these variants of the 981 make me wonder if Porsche is grooming the Cayman for the top dog race car position. The performance numbers for the GT4 are very impressive. If you thought the GTS made the CS seem slow, then consider that the GT4 is a 1/2 second quicker than the GTS. Maybe Porsche is seeing the mid-engine design inherently superior than the 911 for all-out track purposes.

(BTW, if anyone writes a long post, please use paragraphs. It's just so much easier to read.)
Not to venture too far off topic but do you think there are many people who actually felt that the GTS made the S seem slow? I'm guessing not since the GTS is the same car as the S but dressed up differently + 15hp/7lb-ft. The GT4 is on another level entirely.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Not to venture too far off topic but do you think there are many people who actually felt that the GTS made the S seem slow? I'm guessing not since the GTS is the same car as the S but dressed up differently + 15hp/7lb-ft. The GT4 is on another level entirely.
LOL. I was just about to make the same comment. NOBODY thought the GTS made the S seem slow. :D

Reactions: Kindrunnermike

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
LOL. I was just about to make the same comment. NOBODY thought the GTS made the S seem slow. :D
Weasel, you have proven that you are more direct than myself with "NOBODY". Real nice. haha!

When did you get the Jeep?

Reactions: Wild Weasel

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
All of these variants of the 981 make me wonder if Porsche is grooming the Cayman for the top dog race car position.
The GT3 successor Sorry, not the GT3 successor, but the 991RSR successor, is rumored to be the FeFi (960/988), mid-engined, $250 - $300K, maybe MY17. Google it and you will see lots of references such as this, rumor discussions across the internet, and suspected confirmations from Hatz. Unfortunately, the prices of everything always goes way up, never down. And $200K TTS cars might be paving the way for a $250K successor to the most expensive (sub mega dollar) cars (e.g., 918). A car in the model lineup to compete with the Ferraris might be very lucrative.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The solution to an itch to "keep up with the Joneses"? Simple. Buy a 3-series BMW. Each iteration is (and I'm guessing may continue to be) worse than the previous one. Longer. Wider. Heavier. Now "missing 2 cylinders." Forced to "agree" to legal B.S. to protect BMWs lawyers every single time you get into the car!!!--no longer a dipstick or a temperature gauge or netting to hold maps or sound insulation under the hood--you could go on indefinitely. Oh, I forgot. One thing doesn't change much. There's still an old slush-box automatic in most models.

So . . . any ol' 3-series you might happen to currently own . . . when the new model comes out, the Joneses will be trying to keep up with you!:cheers: ('Cept for the missing dipstick, not quite the same with PAG, is it . . . )

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Weasel, you have proven that you are more direct than myself with "NOBODY". Real nice. haha!

When did you get the Jeep?
LOL. Yeah... I don't mince words. :D

Got the Jeep a week ago today. And today, the seat heaters stopped working. heh. Fiat Quality != Porsche Quality :)

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
LOL. Yeah... I don't mince words. :D

Got the Jeep a week ago today. And today, the seat heaters stopped working. heh. Fiat Quality != Porsche Quality :)
Those things are nice and handy.

Don't mention P quality cuz my paint defect issue hasn't been resolved after the 2nd try.

Reactions: Wild Weasel

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
All of these variants of the 981 make me wonder if Porsche is grooming the Cayman for the top dog race car position.
As a followup to this question, this article was just posted The FIA May Have Accidentally Confirmed Ford's Entry Into Le Mans. Why is it important?

It wasn't until the Ford GTs left Le Mans that Porsche started to win. The reintroduction of the Ford GT, costing $250K? (don't know the street price) demonstrates the need for the 911RSR to go and time for a successor, the FeFi (960) to come to the forefront. The pricing of the GT cars is going way up. While the C7R car have won their class, 458s and Astons also compete. So now you got factory Corvette Works cars, and possibly Ford GT Works cars in WEC.

IMO, this reinforces to me that the time has come for an equivalent car (i.e., equivalent to the 458s and now the Ford GT) to come out from PAG and the 911's reign to end.

Here is an article, albeit from 2012, that explains the classes Understanding GT Sports Car Racing: A Class-By-Class Guide. An explanation of the GT4 class is explained in there.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
The solution to an itch to "keep up with the Joneses"? Simple. Buy a 3-series BMW. Each iteration is (and I'm guessing may continue to be) worse than the previous one. Longer. Wider. Heavier. Now "missing 2 cylinders." Forced to "agree" to legal B.S. to protect BMWs lawyers every single time you get into the car!!!--no longer a dipstick or a temperature gauge or netting to hold maps or sound insulation under the hood--you could go on indefinitely. Oh, I forgot. One thing doesn't change much. There's still an old slush-box automatic in most models.

So . . . any ol' 3-series you might happen to currently own . . . when the new model comes out, the Joneses will be trying to keep up with you!:cheers: ('Cept for the missing dipstick, not quite the same with PAG, is it . . . )
Couldn't agree more. About 20 years ago I bought a 3 series, I believe it was a 323, for my son. Dam that was a fun car to drive. Not much power, but it was one of the best handling cars that I had ever driven. I was tempted to "steal" it from my son.

As to the OP's question, I would imagine that a turbo version of the GT4 will be offered in a few years.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Okay, poor choice of words. Beat me with a stick. :cheers:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Have you driven one of the current turbo 4's?
I drove a Z4 and I can tell you the engine in no way performs like a non aspirated flat six nor sounds like one.
When Porsche drops a turbo flat 4 into the 981.2, the 981's will be desirable!
It's one thing to introduce a new engine seeking better performance rather than complying with mandated Regulations.-Richard

·
Registered
209 Posts
when i bought my Boxster S in 2012 i bought it because i like the mid engine car concept from porsche (and i wanted a convertible), i bought the best car i can find (the S) and i customized it to my needs, i ended up paying around 35% more than the base S price due to options (with standard rims, free color and no navigation!).

knowing that usually with porsche u have to wait for the new platform (7-8 Yrs) to be released to make the older platform feel outdated performance wise. i only felt that the next step for me (in case i will upgrade before the new platform) will be a second hand 991 GT3, then the GTS came and i said that is a step in the right direction but still nothing major, now with the GT4 it is a different story.

knowing that now GT4 is part of the cayman trims, i am sure that my next porsche will be that trim rather than a second hand GT3, i will just have to wait till the 982 or what ever will the next platform will be called so i go put a deposit for a GT4.

I want PDK and a front axle lift in order to make this car a valid option to me, but i believe they will come.

on a second note, for the current prices, the GT4 actually kills the 997.2 GT3 second hand market, it is a same performance envelop car with warranty, and far better looking.

a good day for the boxster/cayman platform lovers!

Reactions: Steff BGTS
1 - 20 of 23 Posts