Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I traded in my daily driver BMW 1M Coupe that I've owned since new for a 1,7xx miles local 1-owner GT4. The car is white/black with yellow deviated stitching and straps, standard seats, and pretty much a base model. That means the base radio, which I believe is referred to as "Sound Package Plus", and my car doesn't have PCM module, NAV or satellite radio. I did some preliminary checking on what it consisted of before I got the car, and though disappointed that it didn't even have satellite radio, I understood it to have a USB port and/or analog AUX jack somewhere. I picked up a device Griffin makes that plugs into a 12v jack and links to an AUX jack, and connects to the phone via Bluetooth (It's called iTrip Bluetooth). I thought this would basically sort out my need to send music into the radio and I could add streaming service to my Sirius subscription, and all would be well. So tonight I'm thinking this will be a breeze, and I plug the iTrip into the 12v jack in the glovebox, and attempt to plug the mini-plug into what I thought was the AUX jack next to it. Well, it's a hole, but it's not a jack! I'm not sure how to attach a pic, but I've got one.

Is there something I'm missing here? Is there supposed to be something in that hole that isn't there? Is it really possible that not only does the base GT4 system not have a USB port, but also lacks a simple AUX jack? If not, are there any dealer-installed options I have?

The car is great, and I took it out for a quick ten mile run around the area this evening. Here are a few impressions and a couple of questions:

The rev matching in Sport mode is extremely annoying! It feels like someone learning to heel/toe and just crushing the fast pedal every time.

The gearing is even taller than I imagined, even after reading about how tall it is. It's hard to get past third gear in city driving in my part of Houston Galleria area.

Around town, my M1 felt, and was, quite a bit snappier. The GT4 really spins up fast though. I can't imagine how hard it must be to keep the revs down during break-in. Engine note is spectacular! I had gotten used to the 1M turbo lag, but it's so nice to have the throttle response of a NA motor again.

Seating position, view, and weight of all the controls is absolutely perfect!

Steering and road feel are amazing, and though not quite as fast, you can really feel the DNA is shares with the 911 GT cars.

I don't think ground clearance is as bad as I expected. The 1M smacked it's share of everything so I'm used to dealing with that.

It attracts more attention than I thought it would, and it seems like even casual car guys know it's not a regular model.

Is it normal to get condensation on the dash on the windshield side of the vents? Is the dashboard leather?

Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Base radio I believe has no AUX or USB port. I believe PCM specifically must be specced, in which then it's on the left side of the glovebox. It can all be retrofitted, but parts aren't cheap.

Condensation on the windshield can happen quickly in Caymans depending on conditions. The cabin is well insulated, so if there's a significant temperature differential between the inside/outside of the windshield you may get condensation. Heat/cool as necessary.

The dashboard (and door card uppers) is real leather if it was specced as such. If it has french stitching (and not the textured plastic), it's leather.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
The base radio is, lets say pretty basic... if you are looking for a more sophisticated head unit and when you consider the cost to retrofit a PCM, you best option is likely an aftermarket unit, there are a number of threads on the forum of people that have taken this route.

Too bad about the sound system, but the car you bought is the focus, many would love to have a GT4, congrats!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have an R. I got the base radio because I didn't think I would ever listen to it and mostly I don't. The AUX plug-in on my car is in the center console. I have used it from time-to-time to play podcasts from my iPhone.

The car sounds so good why would you want to listen to the radio? Roll down the window and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
green with envy - small issue if you want some quick solutions - if you have a smartphone and use Waze/phone navigation, there are some here:
bluetooth#9

·
Registered
564 Posts
Mine has base radio. Aux input is in the glove compartment next to the power plug. Use it all the time.

·
Registered
474 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
The GT4 is a race car with plates. If you are listening to Sirius or looking for the Aux input you are doing it wrong. ;)
Buy an aftermarket radio for $400 that meets all your needs or trade this amazing performance car for a GTS with all the bells and whistles. If you do want to unload the GT4... CALL ME !!!! 8D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you sure you have the base radio? I spoke to someone at Porsche customer service who told me the CDR31 radio doesn't have an AUX jack. I think my car was fairly early production 2016, so I wonder if this was a running change during production.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine didn't burst into flames, but everything else did go wrong with it. In 40k miles it left me stranded three times. It's a shame because it's a wonderful car, and I would have probably kept it and bought an M2 to replace it as a daily if I had any confidence in the brand. I've owned over a dozen new BMW cars and bikes, but I'm done with BMW.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Are you sure you have the base radio? I spoke to someone at Porsche customer service who told me the CDR31 radio doesn't have an AUX jack. I think my car was fairly early production 2016, so I wonder if this was a running change during production.
Assuming this is for me. Absolutely sure on the radio. Mine was produced 7/15. Maybe something did change in production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
everything else did go wrong with it. In 40k miles it left me stranded three times. It's a shame because it's a wonderful car, and I would have probably kept it and bought an M2 to replace it as a daily if I had any confidence in the brand. I've owned over a dozen new BMW cars and bikes, but I'm done with BMW.
I said the same thing about my Audi 5000. Swore I'd never buy another. Now I have an A7!

Years ago I had a BMW and it never caused me any trouble. Ditto for MB. They just got too expensive to maintain. Now everything is expensive, so what the heck? I have now switched from Honda to Volkswagen I guess. No trouble with my Cayman in six years, but it remains to be seen how the Audi will work out.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Radio shmadio...I have the base radio and could care less even about that. Not on this car. One thing that I believe that you did NOT get as well is the sat antenna wart. I know that on my Spyder it is eliminated when you order the base radio...and in the Spyder they out it smack center on the beautiful rear deck. That alone was worth opting out of any radio upgrade for me. Check yours....if missing you received a tradeoff of an aesthetically improved car in my opinion.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Radio shmadio...I have the base radio and could care less even about that. Not on this car. One thing that I believe that you did NOT get as well is the sat antenna wart. I know that on my Spyder it is eliminated when you order the base radio...and in the Spyder they out it smack center on the beautiful rear deck. That alone was worth opting out of any radio upgrade for me. Check yours....if missing you received a tradeoff of an aesthetically improved car in my opinion.
I respect differences in priorities to the max, but the combination of tire and engine noise in my GT4, does not suggest, to me at least, the wisdom of investing in a high end sound system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah, the radio is not the greatest. I remember when I ordered my car, There were 3 choices for the radio;

CDR audio system.
Fitted as standard, the CDR audio system with 7-inch colour screen is intuitive to control. It features a CD radio with FM twin tuner with RDS, 30 memory presets, dynamic autostore and speed-sensitive volume control. For quality sound, it boasts four loudspeakers and an integrated amplifier with a power output of 2 x 25 watts. The AUX interface in the glove compartment enables you to connect external sources such as a compatible MP3 player.

CDR Plus audio system.
The CDR Plus audio system, with nine loudspeakers and a total output of 235 watts, is available as an option. It also features an analogue and digital twin tuner, an MP3-compatible CD/DVD drive, a USB port and an AUX interface.

Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module.
Optional PCM is your control centre for audio, communication and navigation functions. Thanks to the high-resolution 7-inch touchscreen, it is intuitive to use and includes a navigation module with high-speed hard drive. An AUX interface and a USB port for connecting suitable external devices are provided in the glove compartment. With this facility, you can also transfer your music to the 40-GB internal hard drive for storage and playback.

I think there was also a delete option. so, you should have something in the glovebox to hook your thing to. Maybe someone tried to plug something in too hard and pushed the jack out of the hole. I don't know how much quality you are going to be enjoying from 2 x 25W. Headphones? You should be able to pop your VIN into one of those decoder things on the net and get a list of all of your options and verify which system you have.

The 1M around town is definitely snappier as the torque come in at lower revs, overall I find the 1M more of a 'nervous' car, in a good way. The GT4 has more legs and the gearing is unconventional, but you get used to it. I kind of like it. I find with the GT4 is is rare to get out of 3rd around town. The GT4 is much better on the highway, I find my 1M exhaust drone gets old quickly. The GT4 on the track is awesome, the grip and balance is just incredible. The 1M on a track is fun and the LSD and steering feedback have a very traditional BMW sports car feel.

How do you find the steering compared to the 1M? I find both cars excellent, there is no question Porsche has the one of the best electrically assisted steering in the business. The steering in the 1M is really good as well, it is so much better than BMW's electric rack, I have a 3 series wagon with the M Sport package and the steering is not the greatest. My 3 series is my daily, and a lease, I have a year and a half left, I am not super excited about BMWs design direction, or for that matter the encheapification of their cars, they are in a race with Audi to see who can build the best less reliable Lexus.

I do notice a lot more attention from people in the GT4 than the 1M. That is the cool thing about the 1M, people that know what it is are definitely car people, where the GT4 kind of looks special and racecarish, it also says P O R S C H E across its butt. My favorite reactions were driving through France, in the small towns, little kids would loose their s#!t when they saw the GT4. My buddy that has a GT Silver GT4 had a guy pull up beside him and ask him where he got the cool body kit for his Cayman?

I am sure listening to that sweet motor will make you forget about the radio! The reason I got the GT4 over a 911 was the way the cayman drove over the 911, and the pleasant surprise was the mechanical feel of the car. It kind of reminds me of my old 993, you could hear stuff happening and it made the driving experience that much more immersive, at least it did for me, my wife at the time found it too loud and uncomfortable, which is probably why I put so many miles on it!

B.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Someone on the Rennlist site bought an earlier Cayman and had the same issue I had, no 3.5mm Aux jack, and below is a copy of what I posted over there and the solution I've used. I've searched the threads and this has come up more than one might think, so maybe someone else can benefit from this:

I just got a GT4 with the base radio and ran into the same issue, no AUX 3.5mm jack in the glovebox or center console. I found a great solution in this device:

A2D-CDR30 Audio Streaming Adapter for Porsche CDR30 and CDR31 Radios :: Bluetooth

I ordered one a few weeks ago and it turned out to be defective, and would cut out consistently after 45 seconds. Today I got around to having the replacement installed and it works perfectly. I made calls with my phone and after disconnecting it immediately continued to stream music from Sirius satellite radio app on my phone, and works perfectly with my Apple music app. I had someone install it, which took a half-hour at most, and if you're comfortable pulling your radio out of the dash you could easily install it yourself. It has a molded connector that plugs directly into the Aux jack on the back of the radio, and power and ground. You open your Bluetooth and link to the device and that's it. It automatically connects when you start the car.

Hopefully the first bad one was just a fluke, but they're cheap enough that you might want to order two of them and have a spare just in case.

I'm not sure what advantage the Denison devices might have, other than possibly being able to control music that's on your device or displaying track data. Neither of those were worth the extra cost and more involved installation for my purpose.

I also installed an iPhone mount from Suncoast that mounts just to the right of the center console (next to the exhaust button) with an adjustable magnet mount, and it puts the phone in a perfect spot for adjusting using music apps and doesn't interfere with any buttons or the shift lever.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts