Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I just picked up my new 718. I traded in my 981 for the 718. I really like the 718 better than my 981. It's Carrera white metallic, has PASM, 20" Carrera S wheels in black satin, Sport Chrono with red dial, black red interior, red seat belts, PSE with black pipes, high gloss black handles and the tinted tailights. So far the car is great.

Attachments

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Congrats! Looks fantastic. Can you share your thoughts on why you liked the 718 better?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nice ride! I almost got the black door handles on my Boxster (due to me in November) when I was still looking at a white car. I ended up with GT Silver so decided against the handles. I think they look great on your car though.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Beautiful car!

Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Getting a GT Silver one with the same interior choice - looks very good in your picture :)

Can you share your thoughts on why you liked the 718 better?
I test drove both a '16 Cayman S and '17 Boxster (base) at the dealership (back to back, both 6MT, so apples to apples) - and honestly in the short time I drove both, I couldn't feel a huge difference (other than sound) between the 2.
I drive a tuned Golf R right now, and the 718 shifting into 1st felt more like that, whereas the 981 I was giving way more throttle than I'm used to (turbo vs. NA). I'm sure a longer test drive would get me to find more nuanced differences, but my choice was between value (cheaper to find a CPO 981 Cayman S) and brand new (full warranty, leasing) 718 which felt basically the same.
My heart wanted a 718 Cayman S - but my wallet didn't :(

Also - I really disliked the steering wheel options on the 981s - what was Porsche thinking with these paddles / cheap-o steering wheel?

·
Registered
311 Posts
The button shifts are wierd at first but they do offer the advantage of being able to shift both directions with either hand. OTOH, Porsche did offer a sport steering wheel with regular paddles on the 981, you just give up the MF buttons.

The 718 definitely has the best of both worlds with a MF wheel with paddle shifters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.