Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Picking Up the 2016 Cayman Today........

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Dave_Car_Guy 
#1 ·
Picking up my 2016 Mahogany Metallic Cayman 2.7L later this afternoon. Truck arrived at the dealer this morning. Someone is getting a great 2014 Cayman 2.7L that I turn in today. Pictures will follow in the next few days. My SA was good enough to snap a few before they even started to remove the protective wrap.

#7 ·
Another voice chiming in for

A) lots of pics of the new car (heck, and the outgoing model)

B) Why ARE you trading cars in the first place? Is the new one spec'ed differently?

#9 ·
You chose the best color! Congratz and lets see the pics ASAP!!!

#10 ·
I got basically book on the trade which is fair, particularly, as it was a CPO. The dealer gave me 5% off the new one so the transaction was solid all around. What one cannot put a price tag on is the great, great support and outright enjoyment Dylan (our SA) gave us/provided from the outset. We bought our 2014 Cayman 2.7L CPO from Dylan. I know that there are any number of threads where dealers and SAs get negative comments but dealing with Porsche of Melbourne in general and Dylan in particular makes getting Porsches a total joy. He kept us totally informed every step of the way constantly sending tracking reports every time it was updated. The truck delivered yesterday morning and he called to let me know even before it unloaded. He took several pictures while it was still wrapped for my records and encouraged us to come and get it later in the afternoon as soon as they had it prepped. We took several more pictures and we just talked and caught up on family happenings and the like. This is how it has been ever since we started working with Dylan back with the 2014 transaction October 2013. He personalizes the transaction in the best possible sense. We have owned 48+ cars in our life thus far, so, have a long track record with which we compare the sales experience. Dylan is right up there at the top of the list.............

Regarding why the 2016 to replace the 2014. It was twofold. First, I had originally planned to get a 2017 but when I learned that those will be turbo 4's, my personal choice was to get the boxer 6 in their last year, so, I ordered the 2016. Second, my 2014 was darned near ideal in configuration but there were a few tweaks I wanted to make, as follows. 2014 Cayman-2.7L, Black over Luxor, PDK, Premium, Infotainment, PDLS, 14Way Memory. 19" Cayman S Wheels. 2016 Cayman-2.7L, Mahogany Metallic over Luxor, PDK, Premium, CDR+, PDLS, 14Way Memory, 19" Boxster S Wheels, X73 Sport Suspension, SportDesign Steering Wheel, Twin Exhaust Tips, colored center caps.

#18 ·
I got basically book on the trade which is fair, particularly, as it was a CPO. The dealer gave me 5% off the new one so the transaction was solid all around.
I wish this logic also worked in California! Unlike your very fair and reasonable State of Florida, California charges sales tax (10.5%) on the FULL value of the new car, with no deduction for the value of the trade-in. So if you trade in a high-value car every couple years, you find yourself out of pocket $30K - $40K in sales tax pretty quickly. Maybe this is why i never trade in a car!

Beautiful new car, BTW! Enjoy!!

#11 ·
Glad to hear there's yet another Mahogany 981 on the road - and a 2.7 to boot!. Only downside is that you will constantly have to reply to onlookers who say "That's a gorgeous car. What color is that?"

Congrats and enjoy!

#12 ·
Well, I'm certainly happy for you. I can't wait to see pics of the new car, inside and out. We nearly went with Mahogany ourselves.

Can we haz some pics of the outgoing vehicle? Yes, I'm a pic wh0re. :)

#16 ·
A few initial thoughts on the 2016 2.7L vs my recently traded 2014 2.7L. I added the X73 because I wanted a little lowered ride height and handling a bit tightened up. In the first 200 miles I appear to have gotten that for which I was looking. The car is just that much more precise in how in handles twisties, the steering feels tightened up and I have a bit better feel for where the front end is in turns. It may also be that Porsche (I expect) has tweaked the electric assisted steering since my 2014 which was a very early 981 Cayman (Launch car, in fact). I also very much like the reduced gap in the wheel wells. What did surprise me a little is how Porsche appears to have continued tweaking the PDK software. The PDK in my 2014 was great but a bit abrupt in downshifts at times. The 2916 is extremely smooth.............nice. The other thing which is amusing at least to me is how quickly one forgets just how great the brakes are when fully bedded in........The first few stops in the new Cayman were ...whoa, baby, gotta remember to allow some extra distance while they brake in. After just a couple hundred miles, though, they are already getting close to what I was used to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.