Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks to the wonderful folks at Aerotect, I had pretty much every painted surface covered with clearbra. I have all my cars protected by them. They are absolute perfectionists and I'd expect nothing less than that from them. The next day, I had road construction going on by my house and had to dodge multiple gravel trucks. It's fantastic piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
A job well done! I had three stone chips within the first two weeks :(

·
Registered
265 Posts
Looks wonderful, but isn't it cheaper to just paint any chips? My bodyshop is now using the same ceramic lacquer used on the Nissan GTR. It's apparently much more resistant to impact damage.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
Great job. Can't tell at all. At least not from the pics you'd posted.

I'm sure it is cheaper to spray the car, but that will likely affect the resale value.

I'm surprised at how expensive this process is. Even to just cover the front of the car.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Looks great, but I also wondered is it cheaper to polish/re-paint periodically? I have to say though it would be nice to think you could peel that all off far in the future and have it looking factory new.

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
Have you considered getting some kind of protective film applied to protect that beautiful wrap job?

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
So how do you wash it? You just wash the plastic film? And that's just as shiny as waxing and polishing the bare metal? Did you do any kind of super wax job before you covered the whole car in vinyl?

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Thread moved to Care & Detailing forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm surprised at how expensive this process is. Even to just cover the front of the car.
To be fair, I asked for an extreme amount of custom work. If you want just the hood and front fenders done, then I think it's about one-fourth what I paid. They used something like 36 feet of material just to cover the sides of the car! Not to mention all the intricate stuff like cutting around the Cayman logo on the trunk.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So how do you wash it? You just wash the plastic film? And that's just as shiny as waxing and polishing the bare metal? Did you do any kind of super wax job before you covered the whole car in vinyl?
IIRC, they prefer it not be waxed before you get it to them.

You wash it like normal. He gives a can of some spray that you are supposed to use as well. Otherwise, it looks very normal to the naked eye. In fact, I took my IS-F which was also covered by these guys to some pros (for a tint job and a high-end detailer ($700 to detail for paint only :eek:)) and they were very impressed/shocked by the quality of the wrap job.

Even on the Cayman, they found a slight defect in the film (about one inch) where there were some white specks on it. There's no way to tell that the defect exists until it dries on the car. While I might not have even noticed it, they told me to bring it back so they could make it right. That's some 10 feet of new material they have to put back on to fix a MINOR defect in the material.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks great, but I also wondered is it cheaper to polish/re-paint periodically? I have to say though it would be nice to think you could peel that all off far in the future and have it looking factory new.
1. I ran out of garage space years ago, so I knew the CS was always going to be outside.

2. I learned my lesson from my IS-F. There's tons of bird poop, tree sap, rocks/gravel, ash (from CA wildfires), acid rain, door dings, etc. The parts that weren't covered on my IS-F shows wear even though it's been less than two years. The thought of my beautiful new car going through that would be too painful, so I asked that EVERYTHING be wrapped. That was a helluva lot of custom work.

3. From experience, I can tell you that no paint is going to be as strong/long-lasting as that from the factory. Plus I attended a detailing class at Meguiar's and found that polishing really just means you have to remove layers of coating from your car. I prefer the peace of mind from the clearbra.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
matte black would have been cool...
For about another year (if matte black hasn't already run it's course for 'cool') then it will look dated.

Nice job. I would like some close up pics to see if it is still a clear reflection or has some 'orange peel' to it.

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
1. I ran out of garage space years ago, so I knew the CS was always going to be outside.

2. I learned my lesson from my IS-F. There's tons of bird poop, tree sap, rocks/gravel, ash (from CA wildfires), acid rain, door dings, etc. The parts that weren't covered on my IS-F shows wear even though it's been less than two years. The thought of my beautiful new car going through that would be too painful, so I asked that EVERYTHING be wrapped. That was a helluva lot of custom work.

3. From experience, I can tell you that no paint is going to be as strong/long-lasting as that from the factory. Plus I attended a detailing class at Meguiar's and found that polishing really just means you have to remove layers of coating from your car. I prefer the peace of mind from the clearbra.
No rationalizing required. ;)

I have seen videos that a sponsor did where they shot a pellet gun at a car protected like yours and the paint was completely unharmed.

We are funny about our cars, aren't we? :cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts