Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am toying with the idea of replacing the standard black plastic centre console in my 987.2 Cayman S with the OEM Porsche Alcantara one, as I have found a fairly decent price for this item here in Europe.

One thing I'm wary of is that the alcantara on this item is (I think) dark grey. I am really keen to see what it would look like next to the standard black full leather seats that I have that come in most 987 Caymans. I have searched high and low on this forum (and the wider Internet) and only been able to find pictures of the alcantara centre console juxtaposed with full cloth or half alcantara / half leather seats, as it typically seems to be installed in 997 GT3s.

Can anyone help? Does anyone have this setup in their car, or have you seen it in someone else's and can pass opinion on it? I'd really appreciate any inputs here. I've attached a pic in case people are unsure what part I am referring to. If I get it done, I think I will get the Porsche Short Shift Kit installed at the same time. I need to stop spending money on mods! :hilarious:

Cheers,
Toby

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
It does look stunning... But that look won't last.

That's why very few here, if any, like the Alcantara to advise you.

Reactions: Rickyb

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have decided to take the plunge! I am now upgrading my entire rear centre console and have ordered:
- Alcantara centre console
- Leather shift console trim
- X97 Aluminium handbrake and gear lever
- Porsche Short Shift Kit

The SSK, gear lever and handbrake have already arrived - see pics (note that protective film is still on handbrake).

I'll post some more pics up once the other parts have arrived and finally once they're all installed.

Toby

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great project, looking forward to seeing the results! I just had the plastic strip / cup holder in the dash covered but decided to do the console in Carbon Fiber. Good Luck!

Reactions: Gaucho

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
I like it a lot and even Mrs. GM3 was impressed when I showed her.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, the alcantara centre console has now arrived, and it looks great! (see photos below) I get it fitted next Friday (24th July)

I have also ordered the matching alcantara console lid (without logo - seen in the 997 GT2/GT3) and the shift console trim in leather. I may need to wait until mid-September for these though - Porsche take their time with these exclusive option parts!!!

Incidentally the console came with the "cup" that sits at the back of the rear centre console when it is in a 997, also in alcantara. I have no need for this in my Cayman, so will be placing it up for sale. Let me know if you are interested.

I'll post some more pics once the console, handbrake and gear-lever are installed.

Toby

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got them all in! The console lid turned up just on time. Really pleased with the look and the shifter feels so much more solid and precise with the short shift kit added. Very happy and will hopefully stop messing with it now.

Toby

Attachments

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Got them all in! The console lid turned up just on time. Really pleased with the look and the shifter feels so much more solid and precise with the short shift kit added. Very happy and will hopefully stop messing with it now.

Toby
Wow! that looks awesome! My BGTS is coming with a 'little' Alcantara, when I saw it in a 991 GTS I was sold!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts