Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have pic's of there Boxster/Cayman with 17' tires Lowered with H&R springs? I'm looking to close the gap between the Tire and fender. If the H&R's don't lower it enough I'll go with the PSS9's.
Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have 17's and lowered however I purchased the car this way and not sure what springs are in. I can shoot you some pictures to see wha it looks like. One thing is the 17's are as far as you can go and at full turn can rub a bit when lowered.

Burt

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Boxster79 - I'm in the same situation with my Cayman (17" and a desire to lower). Would love to see pics of lowered with 17" wheels.

Another option for lowering only (without the expense of the PSS9's) is Cargraphic lowering springs. They are for 987's with PASM and without. I take it that you have PASM and are planning to track it, since you're considering the PSS9's?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hi All,
Probably obvious but, the gap between the tires and the fenders will be essentially the same regardless of what diameter wheels are run - since the tires are sized to basically preserve the original outside diameter. (The overall look is different, but that gap will be fairly constant). So, you can judge the gap by looking at pics of lowered Caymans with other wheel diameters. Pretty much all of the basic springs for these cars will lower from 1" to 1.4" (10 mm less if you have PASM, which has shorter springs to start with). My car has Eibach springs (and 19" wheels), for example, which are rated to lower by 1.2". You probably only need coil-over springs/struts (PSS9, etc) if you feel the need to go extremely low or plan to track a LOT (and know how to use them). Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: Pic's with 17' Tires lowered with H&R spr

Sorry for the delay in posting but I've been getting home late. Attached are a few that I hope shows you what your looking for. I do have H&R springs and as you can see side skirts. Tire clearance just makes it in the front adn I don;t believe it can go bigger. Handles great.

Burt

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Lowered Porsches generally look bad. Especially on small wheels.
Really,WOW.Thats a broad statement to make.I could possibly understand the "on small wheels" bit. But to each his own. I generally think that they look great lowered.But i will quantify that by saying that that is just my own opinion...........;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hawc,
To each their own. I bought my box lowered with the skirts and spoiler and have nothing but complements including 911 drivers and my mechanic who has owned and driven Porsche for 30 years and is a PCA instructor on the different look. It's de-emplemed so other than the Boxster license frame the look makes a lot of drivers come up to look.
Enjoy your Caymen but I love dropping top at about all times.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello and thank you everyone for your input and Pic's! My Boxster in non-PASM. I'm going to wait till April to lower my Boxster. I don't put in alot of track time in just back and forth to the cottage. Since I have 80.000km I'm leaning towards the pss9. The H&R's are a great look and at a cheaper price! It's going to be a tuff call :cheers:

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Hawc,
To each their own. I bought my box lowered with the skirts and spoiler and have nothing but complements including 911 drivers and my mechanic who has owned and driven Porsche for 30 years and is a PCA instructor on the different look. It's de-emplemed so other than the Boxster license frame the look makes a lot of drivers come up to look.
Enjoy your Caymen but I love dropping top at about all times.
I should qualify my earlier remark. There are some great looking lowered Porsches out there, Caymans, Boxsters and 911s, however.... Porsches are one of the few makes - in my opinion - that look great without needing to be lowered. Even if they do have some wheel gap (especially the Cayman on 17" wheels, lots of wheel gap.) Somehow it suits the car in a strange way.

The other make that always looks great without having to be lowered is BMW. Audi and VW on the other hand are disasters. They always ride to high. At least in the North American market.

Sorry, hope that clear things up a bit. I'm certainly not against a tastefully lowered Porsche.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts