Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
The difference is generally not so great between OE and aftermarket, that someone who is just an avid driver and not spending time on a track is going to notice. In some cases the aftermarket product will have the type of characteristics more preferential to the everyday driver.
Just a WAG on my part, but I bet that 90% of Porsche owners never track their cars. A distorted view can be made by participating in Porsche forums since at least half of forum members track their cars, but forum members represent a tiny percentage of Porsche owners. Although its nice to have tires which produce the fastest time on some track, but for the majority of Porsche owners, other mundane factors are more important. Things like quietness, tire longevity, and dry and wet handling on the street are far more important to most owners. Although I've only had my PS 4S tires for about a month, they are superior on the street to the N rated Pirellis that came with the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a WAG on my part, but I bet that 90% of Porsche owners never track their cars. A distorted view can be made by participating in Porsche forums since at least half of forum members track their cars, but forum members represent a tiny percentage of Porsche owners. Although its nice to have tires which produce the fastest time on some track, but for the majority of Porsche owners, other mundane factors are more important. Things like quietness, tire longevity, and dry and wet handling on the street are far more important to most owners. Although I've only had my PS 4S tires for about a month, they are superior on the street to the N rated Pirellis that came with the car.
I've heard that the PS 4S's are quite good. Supposed to be a notch better than the Pilot Super Sports that I've got on my car.

·
Registered
810 Posts
It's sad that so few Porsche drivers hit the track - it's the only place we can safely and legally drive these cars they way they were designed for! If people are worried about comfort, road noise, and tire life... they should have bought a Mercedes or something.

Go hit the track, people!! Do an HPDE, an SCCA Track Night in America, an autocross, go enjoy your car!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Well I have about 12.5k miles now on the clock on my car and it's getting time to pull the trigger on tires. I am gonna go with the P4S but I spoke with a tire rack rep and he said save your money and no need to go get the N0 spec tires. 80 dollar price difference. 1260 vs 1340. I am gonna pick up the tires myself so that will save me another 40 bucks. So 1220 for the tires and then probably am gonna go hit Butler tires to get them mounted. I think they have the Hunter alignment tool that was used to set up my car's suspension and I have the printout for the settings. Should be awesome. Will post back whenever I get all that done and report my findings.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great thread. I am in the boat where I wear out 2 rear sets for 1 front (Really, not my fault Mom. The traction control was on all the time). Next rotation I am up for all 4 so the PS4s will replace the PZeros given all the feedback here and elsewhere.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I was going to go non-N0 but $80 on a set of PS4S's is a tiny difference (~6%) so I went ahead and got them. Will I notice any difference? Probably not with my driving. If the difference was bigger I'd go with the regular PS4S's.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I went ahead and got the N0s lol after watching an Engineering Explained video on his Tesla model 3 performance tires - from Tesla and one stamped without Tesla and there was a difference in 1 inch on the contact patch. The Tesla marked one had more contact patch basically. So since the price difference was 70 bucks I was like eh why not.

Car is way less road noisey. Runs smoother actually. It's almost like the sidewalls are more squishy and therefore it's acting as a second suspension and the ride is better. Wife noticed it right away. Just in time to get an alignment done and then head up to the mountains to really put these tires through their paces and see if the grip has gone up. The Pirellis were phenomenally grippy so if this is just as grippy I will consider it a success though I am expecting more from it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I also ended up getting the PS4s NOs, I had Tirerack ship straight to my local Porsche Dealer who mounted them for a very reasonable $160. I figured the few bucks involved for NO was small compared to the overall cost.

My factory fitted PZeros lasted 19K miles, it is tough to compare a set of worn out tires to a set of brand new ones without slamming the old tires but I will say the steering feedback on the PZeros seemed to be sharper.

Glad to have the Michelin's, they should have had these fitted at the factory.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My factory fitted PZeros lasted 19K miles, it is tough to compare a set of worn out tires to a set of brand new ones without slamming the old tires but I will say the steering feedback on the PZeros seemed to be sharper.
When tires are worn down, they will tend to have sharper steering, since the tread is shorter and so isn't flexing as much. That said, new tires will tend to be quieter; plus, the Pilots are generally be considered a softer and quieter ride (even comparing new verses new).

Glad to have the Michelin's, they should have had these fitted at the factory.
Definitely!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Agree with both previous posts. In my Spyder the ride is definitely more composed as in someone added another suspension on top of the existing suspension to make the ride more supple if that makes sense.

As for grip I have not felt any difference as of yet but then I have not hit up my favorite roads and pushed the car with the tires properly warmed up. That will tell me if it's grippier than the PZeros were. I definitely think in the wet it's more confidence inspiring than the PZeros were.

·
Registered
33 Posts
150 off a set of Porsche Spec N0 tires for the Cayman S. They do it 2 times per year and that is about 80 off the tires and 70 off installation which includes flat repairroad and rotation for free. All in, 1340.00. That is of course if your trust your local Costco mounting guys.... :) I really had very little other options in my area other than Tirerack, and that was 1408, plus whatever the local shop charges, which is around 120+ most likely. This way I get the recommended Michelin tire and save money too.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
I also ended up getting the PS4s NOs, I had Tirerack ship straight to my local Porsche Dealer who mounted them for a very reasonable $160. I figured the few bucks involved for NO was small compared to the overall cost.
I wish my dealer charged that. They charged me $240 plus $40 shop supplies. I usually pay $100 at local station. I got tires from them because they charged same as TireRack for tires. I asked about the price since they didn't give me 20% off for PCA as they had on other work done at the same time. Dealer said mount and balance was already discounted. Glad I didn't pay the undiscounted price; what would that be ? $100/tire ?
I agree with most of what's posted here. I have always gone with non N tires. I might have got the N's for the $80.

Nice street tire but just did autocross Saturday with them and grip not what I'm use to in either BS RE-71R or PZ4 Pirelli
Lost the rear twice even with 295/30's

·
Registered
33 Posts
150 off a set of Porsche Spec N0 tires for the Cayman S. They do it 2 times per year and that is about 80 off the tires and 70 off installation which includes flat repairroad and rotation for free. All in, 1340.00. That is of course if your trust your local Costco mounting guys.... :) I really had very little other options in my area other than Tirerack, and that was 1408, plus whatever the local shop charges, which is around 120+ most likely. This way I get the recommended Michelin tire and save money too.
Update - only issue on install seems to be that they do not remove the old weight foam/tape. Found the was pretty common in most places except the Porsche dealers. You can remove it with elbow grease and sometimes some chemicals, without adversely affecting the painted wheels much at all. This is what I did -------------

1 - jack up so that you can rotate each tire. You want to have the old tape at the bottom, so any chemical used will stay on it easier and not drip around the wheel
2 - If the tape is mostly intact, you can probably roll it up by hand, (not easy but doable) but if not, you will need a chemical
3 - You can try any of the following from what I have read - WD40, Goo Gone, Goof Off, Some degreasers, like Citrol
4 - I used the Pro grade Goof Off from Home depot, an old cotton washcloth (as a mild abrasive) and a small plastic brush (to easily remove the foam part)
Was definitely a PITA but it worked and now the old tape.foam is completely gone. Afterwards I cleaned the area well to remove residue and chemical, and put some paint sealant on it to re-protect until I can clean/protect all my wheels again on a nice day.
Next time - a good idea I found by reading up from other users - remove the weights yourself before you take it to get the tires mounted! That way if the new weight goes in or near the same place the old residue is not in the way, and when you get your car back, it is ready to go! You will also likely take more of the sticky part off if you take your time and use a plastic tool which is made to remove these kind of weights.

Hope this helps

81 - 93 of 93 Posts