Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If people are interested, I'm going to start a thread with coding procedures using PIWIS 2. If people discover different procedures or create a more complete list of translations, post them here and I'll paste them into the OP so it doesn't get lost in the noise.

To code you need to be in development (E) mode, which is unfortunately in German. I've made a start at doing some translations courtesy of Google Translate below. For the German speakers among us, if some of the translations are bogus, let me know and I'll amend them. I haven't put a translation if the English equivalent is obvious.

Below the list of translations is first coding DIY I've done. It makes the car remember what driving mode you shutdown with last time and resume with this. This was so I didn't have to remember to press the start stop button each time I got in the car.

Sorry about the lack of spaces between the German and English. The tabs don't work to space things out a bit.

If you play around in simulation mode, the car it uses is a 991 coupe. Whilst not exactly the same as the 981, it's very close. It's a good start at poking around the software to see where things are without having to be connected to the car.

Some general phrases

Codierung Anpassungen
Coding adaptations

Keine Eintrage gesetzt
No value set

Codierwert or kodierwert
Coding value

Wert
Value

Verbaut
Installed

Geandert
Changed

aktiv
Active

Inaktiv
Inactive

Einheit
Unit

Geandert
Changed

Schreiben
Save

Ja
Yes

Nein
No

MCR = Machine-readable Coding Rules

Manuelle Codierung ohne MCR Regeln (Entwicklung)
Manual coding without MCR rules (development)

Manuelle Codierung von Binärdaten (Entwicklung)
Manual coding of binary data (development)

Manuelle Codierung mit MCR Regeln
Manual coding with MCR rules

Automatische codierung
Automatic coding

Rucksetzen auf werkeinstellungen
Reset to factory settings

geben sie bitte fahrzeugdaten ein
Please enter vehicle data

werte andern und mit speichern
change values and save with

weiter zum nachsten screenmit
continue to the next screen with

coderung lauft
coding is running

codierung von steuergeräten
coding of control units

Control Module names

waehlebel
Gear selector lever

kombiinstrument
instrument cluster

kombilenkstockschaltermodul
steering wheel module

stoppuhr
stopwatch

audio verstärker
audio amplifier

bedien und klimaeinheit
operation and climate

parkbremse
park brake

reifendruckkontrolle
tyre pressure control

dämpfersteuerung
damper control

servolenkung
power steering

verdeck synchronisation
convertible top

BCM vorne
Front Body Control Module

BCM hinten
Rear Body Control Module

scheinwerfer links
Left headlight

scheinwerfer rechts
Right headlight

spurwechselassistent
lane change assistant

sitz fahre
driver seat

sitz beifahrer
passenger seat

tuer vorne links
left front door

tuer vorne rechts
right front door

soundaktuator innen
inside sound actuator

DME coding translations

Manual coding without MCR

Bestelltyp
ordered type

getriebetyp
transmission type

innenausstattung
interior decoration

kodierung kodierbyte
coding coding byte

tempomat
cruise control

start/stopp aktiv
start stop active

allradantrieb
all wheel drive

abgasklappen
exhaust flap

getriebedrehzahlsensor
transmission speed sensor

kraftstoff brasilien
fuel brazil??

Gerauschtypisierung Asien
Noise typing Asia

Tankleckdiagnose Feinstleck
Tank leak diagnosis

Kraftstoffmarkt
Fuel market

Kodierung gultig
Coding valid

Landercode
Country code

Nummern
Numbers

Ruckrufaktion
Product recall

Seriennummer Wegfahrsperre
Serial number immobilizer

Tester Produktionsmodul
Tester production module

Verbauvorschrift
Building regulations

Wagen und Verdeckfarbe
Car and top color

Wartungsdienste
Maintenance services

Manual coding with MCR

Landercode
Country code

Modelljahr
Model year

Produktschlussel
Product key

Bordcomputer
On board computer

Anzeigendonfiguration
Show configuration

schlussel
Key

fahrzustand
driving state

Last Mode coding DIY

This is a PIWIS DIY to recode the car so that it keeps the last driving modes set. I used this primarily to ensure that start/stop initialises OFF each time I start the car rather than me having to push the button each time I start the car.

I don't know what other modes it keeps for the next time your start the car. It seems to keep the last PASM and seat heating settings, but not SPORT or SPORT PLUS.

Note: Development mode is in German. English translations are after each step to show what you are doing.

I can't take credit for the procedure. I won't name who it was, but they know who they are, and thanks for the help.

If you are worried about doing this for the first time on your car, it's the same in simulation mode, so have a practice here first. Being simulation mode, it won't let you save it.

To make the coding changes, do the following.

Change the PIWIS mode to E (development)

Open the diagnostics for the car type, then make the following selections.

1. BKE (bedien und klimaeinheit)
operation and climate

2. Codierung Anpassungen
Coding adaptations

3. Manuelle Codierung ohne MCR Regeln (Entwicklung)
Manual coding without MCR rules (development)

4. Select both kodierwert:kodierwert default fahrzustand and kodierwert:kodierwert default fahrzustand last mode
codeword default driving state

5. In Wert (value) dropdown
Change ...fahrzustand to "last mode"
Change ...fahrzustand last mode to "ja"

6. Click schreiben (save) at bottom.

Coding complete. Exit and change the settings back to V (aftersales) mode if desired.

·
Registered
236 Posts
This is most excellent. For those with the expertise I am seeking (all for 2018 Carrera T) 1. Coding to have spoiler retract whenever engine is shut down(currently stays up if manually extended) 2. Coding to allow front air vanes and actuators to be removed without a problem and 3. Coding to allow rear spoiler and actuator to be removed without code issues(obviously don't need #1 if #3 available). All of this part of my mass reduction program.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Great resource, subscribed!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm hoping for some steps on adding Sport+ Mode to a non sport/chrono car! Great resource thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm hoping for some steps on adding Sport+ Mode to a non sport/chrono car! Great resource thanks!
This is just a guess, but you may be able to do this using the following method.

Go to the DME and coding with MCR. This is where the options fitted are set. You may be able to simply select sports chrono. Then you need to be able to select it using the button on the centre console. I noticed when I was doing the coding for the last mode, in the same place (BKE, manual coding without MCR) at the top of the options is where you tell the car what each of the buttons on the centre console are for eg. SPORT, SPORT PLUS, etc. Here I'm assuming you would set SPORT PLUS for your SPORT button.

There may be a lot more involved that this (I assume so), due to no stopwatch, dynamic mounts, etc, but you may be going to install these.

·
Registered
47 Posts
PSE retrofit coding is done as follows (per bulletin available here: Plenum: Porsche 991 Sport Exhaust Installation Instructions)

The sports exhaust system button can only be coded on the right-hand side of the switch console.
5.1 Code keypad assignment. → 962755 Replacing switch console.
(Got this from workshop manual)
WM 962755 REPLACING SWITCH CONSOLE (ALL MODELS) > ENABLING
SPORT/SPORT PLUS/SPORT CHRONO PLUS FUNCTION
Information
On vehicles with the equipment variant SPORT/SPORT Plus/Sport Chrono Plus, a function enable
process must be carried out after replacing the switch console.
1. Determine function enabling code in PIWIS.
2. Connect the Porsche System Tester to the vehicle and start the System Tester. Switch on
ignition.
3. Select the vehicle type and start the PIDT.
4. Select Air conditioning control unit using the cursor keys and press [F12].
5. Select Drive links/checks .
6. Select Function enable using the cursor keys and press [F12].
7. Enter the function enabling code and save it by pressing [F8].

WM 962755 REPLACING SWITCH CONSOLE (ALL MODELS) > ENABLING
SPORT/SPORT PLUS/SPORT CHRONO PLUS FUNCTION > CODING KEYPAD
ASSIGNMENT
1.Connect the Porsche System Tester to the vehicle and start the System Tester. Switch on
ignition.
2. Select the vehicle type and start the PIDT.
3. Select Air conditioning control unit using the cursor keys and press [F12].
4. Select Codings/adaptations .
5. Select Customer-specific settings using the cursor keys and press [F12].
6. Select Keypad assignment and press [F12].
7. Check the button assignment using the switch console.​
7.1. Select function of the switches from the shortcut menu if necessary.​
8. Press [F8] to save the button assignment.
9. The message Data has been written appears on the Tester screen. Press [F12] to exit.
10. Read out the fault memory and erase it if necessary.
11. Check the function of the switch console during a test drive.

5.2 Maintenance of vehicle data
5.2.1 Select Additional menu by pressing F7 .​
5.2.2 Select the Maintenance of vehicle data function. Press F12 until M numbers​
appears in the Value group column.​
5.2.3 Select 176 - Sports exhaust system in the Coding value column. When you​
touch the Installed cell, a tick appears.​
5.2.4 Save the values by pressing F8 . Wait until the message Modified values have​
been buffered appears.​
5.2.5 Press F12 until F8 can be activated.​
5.2.6 Press F8 to write values. Wait until the message Generation of vehicle data is​
complete appears.​
5.2.7 Press F12 to switch to Log management. Open the log by pressing F10 and​
check that vehicle equipment 176 Sports exhaust system is displayed.​
5.3 Adapt coding.
5.3.1 Press F11 to return to the list of control units.​
Select all control units.​
5.3.2 Switch to the Codings/adaptations menu.​
Select Automatic coding. Press F12 to continue. Wait until the message Coding has been completed successfully appears. Press F12 to continue.​
5.4 Once coding is complete, read out the fault memories of all systems, work through any existing faults and erase the fault memories. → 033500 Fault memory for on-board diagnosis

Based on this, I went and checked the PIWIS2 Simulation mode..
Looks like we need activation codes for SportChrono after all.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
This is just a guess, but you may be able to do this using the following method.

Go to the DME and coding with MCR. This is where the options fitted are set. You may be able to simply select sports chrono. Then you need to be able to select it using the button on the centre console. I noticed when I was doing the coding for the last mode, in the same place (BKE, manual coding without MCR) at the top of the options is where you tell the car what each of the buttons on the centre console are for eg. SPORT, SPORT PLUS, etc. Here I'm assuming you would set SPORT PLUS for your SPORT button.

There may be a lot more involved that this (I assume so), due to no stopwatch, dynamic mounts, etc, but you may be going to install these.
this is interesting .. i just bought another Cayman pdk 981CS.. no sport chrono... suncoast only sell 987,997,panamera and macan sport plus button for cars with no stopwatch but need dealer programming..
wonder if we can just add the sport plus button and do the coding... :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
this is interesting .. i just bought another Cayman pdk 981CS.. no sport chrono... suncoast only sell 987,997,panamera and macan sport plus button for cars with no stopwatch but need dealer programming..
wonder if we can just add the sport plus button and do the coding... :)
When I had this done, the dealer had to get a passcode from Germany, to program the ECU. I don’t know where we’d get that code.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
There's another thread where someone figured out how to get one and coded it with a dealer PWIS, the question is does the system have to call home to germany to validate that code or not?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a PIWIS II clone and it's works fine. It has most PIWIS II functionality, can reset error codes, code modules, read current module data, update module firmware etc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can you point the thread? How much does the code cost and if it actually enables rev-matching for non-Sport chrono cars. Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anyone know where to code the instrument cluster or PCM to modify the splashscreen logo from Cayman S to Cayman GTS? I have PIWIS and a 2015 Cayman GTS and all the paperwork, windshield sticker, external logos say GTS, but the instrument panels say Cayman S when the car starts.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Does anyone know where to code the instrument cluster or PCM to modify the splashscreen logo from Cayman S to Cayman GTS? I have PIWIS and a 2015 Cayman GTS and all the paperwork, windshield sticker, external logos say GTS, but the instrument panels say Cayman S when the car starts.
So do you figure that the PCM was replaced at some point before you bought the car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wonder if the dash could be setup for PDK gear info and visual info of the shift point like the manual cars have in the right side dash display?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a PIWIS II clone and it's works fine. It has most PIWIS II functionality, can reset error codes, code modules, read current module data, update module firmware etc.
Joel, I am looking at picking up a PIWIS unit for my Cayman. I just added the PSE and want to make the console button funtional. Do you know if the unit you have can do this? If it can does it need to go into Development mode to program the ECU?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts