Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well another soon to be (not soon enough) family member. Over the weekend I finalized and placed my order for an 07 CS. I placed my order with Champion motor cars in Florida. If anyone is going to deal with them, I highly recommend Larry Reynolds. A great guy and a real car enthusiast. Anyway this is what my baby is going to be:

<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Black[/quote]
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Black\Stone Grey Two tone Interior[/quote]
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package [/quote]<o:p></o:p>[/quote]
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Sport Seats w/Full Leather Int [/quote][/quote]<o:p></o:p>[/quote]
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">19' Turbo Wheel [/quote]<o:p></o:p>[/quote]
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Sport Chrono Pkg W/Out PCM [/quote]<o:p></o:p>[/quote]
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Bose Surround Sound System [/quote][/quote]<o:p></o:p>[/quote]
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Black Mats - Porsche lettering [/quote]<o:p></o:p>[/quote]
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Rear Cnt.Cnsl in Aluminum Look [/quote]<o:p></o:p>[/quote]
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Instrument Surround Alum. Look [/quote]<o:p></o:p>[/quote]
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">5mm Wheel Spacers [/quote]<o:p></o:p>[/quote]
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Porsche Crest in Headrest [/quote]<o:p></o:p>[/quote]
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Seat Belts - Guards Red [/quote]<o:p></o:p>[/quote]
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Foot Rest Aluminum [/quote][/quote]<o:p></o:p>[/quote]

Sport Steering Wheel[/quote][/quote][/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

I am coming from a 2004 M3 andthis will be my first Porsche. Unfortunately I must wait until [/quote][/quote]

Dec.\Jan. before Iget my baby as that is when my current lease is up. I will continue to stay [/quote][/quote]

tuned to this site and dream until then.....Well at least I have enough time to research and[/quote][/quote]

decide which aftermarket parts to use.[/quote][/quote]
[/quote][/quote]

·
Registered
172 Posts
I too came from an 04 M3. What were your thoughts driving the two back to back?

Congrats!

Mark

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems like the Cayman is much tighter and finer tuned machine.In regards to power I think the Cayman is more linear, but lacks the burst of power found in the upper range of the M3. Although both caymans were brand new so they were not broken in. I could feel the weight difference when I jumped back in my M3.I found the M3 feels much heavier through the corners. Funny thing is I used to comment on how nimble the M3 felt b\c I came from an S4 before that. I find the shifter is much smoother on the Cayman and I like the feel of the steering better. The only thing I found was pedal placement is better in the M3 as it is much easier to heel and toe. But I onlytest drove the Cayman twice soI am sure I can used to the new setup. I also found it amazing how quiet the caymans internals are as the M3 makes so many noises. Despite the negatives I am saying the M3 is an awesome car, but I guess the Porsche is that much better. Anyway I would love to hear your comparison (or anyone else that came from an M3) as you probably have spent extended time in both?

Edited by - AM1 on 08/23/2006 5:02:22 PM

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 96 E36 M3 and I heel and toe all the time. I drove a Croc S today and I found the same thing - not quite so easy as the M3 to heel and toe. But maybe it is just what you said - getting used to the pedal placement.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
First of all congratulations AM1 for finally pulling the trigger! You will not be disappointed. I agree with pretty much everything you said as far as comparing your E46 M3 to the Cayman. However unlike most of you I still have my M3. It's supercharged goodness is too hard to let go. /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/shades_smile.gif

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
AM1,

That is very nice, you have got it all as far as I am concerned. Great idea on the interior, can't wait to see it. Tick tock tick tock.....

Russ

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
AM1,

welcome to the club and congrats, can't wait to see those Turbo wheels. Good luck with the wait, it's agony.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! Its already been painful and not even a week.

If mine were supercharged I would not let go of it either. That ride must be fun.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Grats AM1! Two of my favorite cars out there, the Cayman S and the BMW M3!

How flexible was Champion with you in ordering your car? Did they give you much of a discount since it was an 07 S or ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah I agree. The M3 competition edition feels heavier around the corners but feels very planted.

The M3's brakes just a tad better. It also has more punch.

OTOH, the CS flies (not floats) through the corners and has higher apex exit speeds.

I think de-snorkel and exhaust the CS and it is a different animal.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Thanks guys! Its already been painful and not even a week.

If mine were supercharged I would not let go of it either. That ride must be fun.

It is, but not as fun as the Cayman! /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah the Turbo wheels are real nice, saw a turbo at the dealer. Champion was great to work with. Larry knew I was picky with the options I wanted so he was very willing to order a car with no pressure to get a floor model. They also gave me probably above average discount on the car, but they just could not lock in a lease rate as residuals can change in a few months. As of today the residual would be 65% on a 3-year, 10,000 mile\year lease. This is the 3rd car I purchased from Champion (previous being Audi's) and 1 by my sister, which was goodleverage for me in negotiating.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree with everyone that the Cayman S is the more complete package. It shifts better, feels smoother,tighter and nimbler (more like a go-kart) and it alsoseems fairlyfast in 3rd gear on. My Girlfriend was afraid to drive the M3, but loves to drive the Cayman (She felt intimidated by the M and she does drive fast - she has a Mini Cooper S). I felt the M3 had better initial throttle response and better low end torque. It easily spun tires in 1st and 2nd and I could even chirp them in third. The Cayman S' initial throttle response is lacking in my opinion (The M3 seemed faster of the line, but magazine testing shows it's just as fast if not faster). I also liked the M3's LSD and brakes a little better as well as the interior (to me the BMW materials (leather etc) seemed a little higher end than the Porsche's, but the Cayman S' interior is still nice). The Harmon stereo seemed to be a little clearer than the Bose, but the Bose has more lower end. The M3 had a very nice engine noise, but the exhaust sounds were horrible and I did have a lot of drivetrain noises in the vehicle. The Cayman exhaust noise is awesome (IMO).

I liked the BMW key remote way better than the Cayman (and it seems more durable, where my Porsche key already has scratches and groves by the keychain and other keys).

Only car people knew what the M3 was (which was what most of my cars have been), but the Cayman gets attention from everyone! The best part is, that the attention it has gotten has been positive, people come up and say things to me with a smile! They just think it's cool!

The M3 did not like the new ethonal blend in the gas here in CT (they made the change this year). If the car sat more than a day, it needed 2 times to turn over to start and then pissed and farted more than usual!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts