Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
[pic=right]http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/6/3/9/garage2010_z.jpg[/pic] Cayman Registry Lives On in Planet-9 Garage - Open to all Makes/Models
1.15.10 - With over 2500 Porsches the Planet-9 Garage has become the largest online Registry of Porsche vehicles in the world. What began as the Cayman Registry grew to include other Porsche models at the request of our members and eventually a garage for every member and every vehicle they happen to own. We've been updating and upgrading our garage, please pardon our construction messes, to address the requests of our members and we are pleased to announce a number of new features are now available! We hope you enjoy these new capabilities and as always if you have your own suggestions for further improvments please send them to us!

New Features include:
  • Browse Vehicles by Make/Model
  • More Home Page Blocks with expanded information
  • Ability to add and track fuel fill-ups and gas mileage (can be displayed in your posts)
  • Ability to track Service visits
  • Modifications can now be installed and uninstalled to reflect current state of your vehicle
  • Event Listings
  • Add the Clubs that you belong to
  • Better Image resizing/handling
  • & Much Much More!

If you haven't listed your vehicles in the garage yet or if your vehicle is in need of an update to add some of our new features simply click here to get started: Planet-9 Garage

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I can get the Garage to generate my fuel use signature, BUT can't figure out how to add it to my Planet-9 signature (like yours). Tried to add the link shown in the Garage, but Planet-9 User CP editing says "invalid file"

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can get the Garage to generate my fuel use signature, BUT can't figure out how to add it to my Planet-9 signature (like yours). Tried to add the link shown in the Garage, but Planet-9 User CP editing says "invalid file"
Yeah you can't use the link directly as a signature image, it doesn't like the other information being added to it, so I simply pasted the link into my signature text block and put the image tags on either side of the link like this:

[ IMG ]www.imagelink.here[ /IMG ] (without the extra spaces inside of the brackets I have to put those here so it will display what I am trying to do as opposed to trying to render the image.

Hope that makes sense, if you can't get it to work with this tip let me know and I'll see if I can fix yours up for you and show you that way.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
GOT IT!

Thank you, Ken!

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
Very cool garage application. But I don't understand why anyone would want to advertise how much money they've spent fueling up their very unnecessary pleasure vehicle. That seems kind of ostentatious to me, and I suspect that's going to require regular manual data entry, no?

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very cool garage application. But I don't understand why anyone would want to advertise how much money they've spent fueling up their very unnecessary pleasure vehicle. That seems kind of ostentatious to me, and I suspect that's going to require regular manual data entry, no?
Well they don't have to do it, but we do get a lot of questions here about gas mileage and you could fill it in with a fictious dollar amount if you wanted. I think the goal is for people to be able to share how their own gas mileage changes (or doesn't) over time. YOu know like when people say their gas mileage will improve after 10,000 miles, well does it really? What about before and after a mod? This gives members a way to track that information if they want to. Heck some people might even use it for tax purposes. Yeah it would be nice if it connected directly to your local gas station but we haven't found a way to do that just yet... :)

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Well they don't have to do it, but we do get a lot of questions here about gas mileage and you could fill it in with a fictious dollar amount if you wanted. I think the goal is for people to be able to share how their own gas mileage changes (or doesn't) over time. YOu know like when people say their gas mileage will improve after 10,000 miles, well does it really? What about before and after a mod? This gives members a way to track that information if they want to. Heck some people might even use it for tax purposes. Yeah it would be nice if it connected directly to your local gas station but we haven't found a way to do that just yet... :)
cool, can't wait to post the incredible gas mileage i got last year hauling my non-assperated Nine Forty-Four Ess up to Watkins Glen. or from the Boxster hauling down to NC... i might find it interesting to compare the two.
:banana:

besides, what the difference in posting gas charges.. i'm sure it's way less than the cost of the mods. How many exhausts do you own Gator?
:crazy:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey - How about a garage application that tracked average MPH in relatoin to miles traveled...probably not very politically correct but it would be fun:)

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
cool, can't wait to post the incredible gas mileage i got last year hauling my non-aspirated Nine Forty-Four Ess up to Watkins Glen. or from the Boxster hauling down to NC... i might find it interesting to compare the two.
:banana:

besides, what the difference in posting gas charges.. i'm sure it's way less than the cost of the mods. How many exhausts do you own Gator?
:crazy:
I own two. The Borla, and the speedART. And your assumption would be incorrect. I have about 26,000 miles on my Cayman S, and I average about 20 miles per gallon because I like to use the pedal on the right. So that would mean that I've burned about 1,300 gallons of super unleaded. At a price of say $2.89 a gallon, that would add up to more than $3,700.

I've spent about $2,900 on those two exhaust systems, and I bet I could sell them tomorrow and recover about half of that. I can't get any of that fuel back.

Since my Cayman is a pleasure vehicle, that means I've spent $3,700 on fuel to have fun. I guess maybe it's just me, and others may not feel the same way, but that's not something I really care to brag about. Nor do I care to advertise the fact that I'm driving a car that's averaging 20 mpg. Both seem kind of wasteful and selfish. YMMV. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Since my Cayman is a pleasure vehicle, that means I've spent $3,700 on fuel to have fun. I guess maybe it's just me, and others may not feel the same way, but that's not something I really care to brag about. Nor do I care to advertise the fact that I'm driving a car that's averaging 20 mpg. Both seem kind of wasteful and selfish. YMMV. :cheers:
+1 Yes a little humility, particularly in today's current economy and global conditions.

Thanks Gator Bite

Mark C.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I own two. The Borla, and the speedART. And your assumption would be incorrect. I have about 26,000 miles on my Cayman S, and I average about 20 miles per gallon because I like to use the pedal on the right. So that would mean that I've burned about 1,300 gallons of super unleaded. At a price of say $2.89 a gallon, that would add up to more than $3,700.

I've spent about $2,900 on those two exhaust systems, and I bet I could sell them tomorrow and recover about half of that. I can't get any of that fuel back.

but it appears that you just did! if you really felt this information was not appropriate to broadcast.......

·
Captain Cautious
124 Posts
+1 Yes a little humility, particularly in today's current economy and global conditions.

Thanks Gator Bite

Mark C.
I've taken to looking at the difference between my Cayman mileage and the mileage I would be getting with something more "sensible." I'm going to spend a certain amount on gas no matter what I drive... the additional amount I spend to drive something exhilarating doesn't seem to be too extravagant in my mind.

Compared to other items needed to feel young again: gym membership, dentures, hair piece... a deal really.

Just a thought.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really don't see what the big deal is, if someone wants to enter this information they can, if they don't want to they don't have to. Even if they do enter in the gas gallons and miles driven they don't have to put the actual price per gallon if they don't want to. Even if they do choose to do that, how the heck would I know and why would I even care if their miles driven were for work as a commuter car or on pleasure drives or on the track? I'm certainly not going to "judge" someone by the miles they've driven or how much gas they've purchased. If people are feeling guilty about driving their Porsche it is probably time to trade it in on a bicycle then... :hilarious:

Again, up to the individual to make use of the facilities offered in a manner that best suits their needs, we don't expect everyone to use the garage in the same way and some people won't use it at all, and that's "OK", but let's not be judgemental if someone uses the garage in a different way than we do ourselves, the same way we'd ask members not to be judgemental of others color choices, options, or even vehicle choices, what is best for one person is not necessarily "best" for someone else. Viva La Difference!

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
but it appears that you just did! if you really felt this information was not appropriate to broadcast.......
It was unfortunately necessary to help you understand my point. I'm not sure it worked. Both of your posts seem pretty defensive, so I'm guessing you still don't understand.

I really don't see what the big deal is, if someone wants to enter this information they can, if they don't want to they don't have to. Even if they do enter in the gas gallons and miles driven they don't have to put the actual price per gallon if they don't want to. Even if they do choose to do that, how the heck would I know and why would I even care if their miles driven were for work as a commuter car or on pleasure drives or on the track? I'm certainly not going to "judge" someone by the miles they've driven or how much gas they've purchased. If people are feeling guilty about driving their Porsche it is probably time to trade it in on a bicycle then... :hilarious:

Again, up to the individual to make use of the facilities offered in a manner that best suits their needs, we don't expect everyone to use the garage in the same way and some people won't use it at all, and that's "OK", but let's not be judgemental if someone uses the garage in a different way than we do ourselves, the same way we'd ask members not to be judgemental of others color choices, options, or even vehicle choices, what is best for one person is not necessarily "best" for someone else. Viva La Difference!
There is no big deal, and ceratinly no judgement of any other members. I was simply sharing my opinion of the mileage bug in your signature. If you dig it, that's cool by me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Compared to other items needed to feel young again: gym membership, dentures, hair piece... a deal really.

Just a thought.
You've left out the MOST expensive one - mistress...:dance:

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It was unfortunately necessary to help you understand my point. I'm not sure it worked. Both of your posts seem pretty defensive, so I'm guessing you still don't understand.

There is no big deal, and ceratinly no judgement of any other members. I was simply sharing my opinion of the mileage bug in your signature. If you dig it, that's cool by me.
No, I'm still not sure I get your point and it seems I'm not the only one, but that's OK. As for the mileage image in my signature I put that up to show what was possible, and I suspect if this is possible for mileage, soon other things in the garage will be possible too. :) Do I plan to keep it? Nah probably not because I don't track my gas mileage and enter every fill-up, or at least I'm not really planning to, I simply put in some numbers so the system could generate an image, in fact it can generate 4 different images so people can pick the one they like best if they are so inclined, some of them don't show cost either, you should try it out to see how it works, pretty slick actually...

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I agree, I don't see the reason for complaints. It's a site feature that some people will take advantage of and some will not.

Personally, I track mine in a maintenace log (I have done it in all of my vehicles since 1984 and still have every log since 1990- 11 vehicles). It is good to see the changes over time.

I like the feature, but probably won't use it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts