Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[pic=left]http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/3/febsales.jpg[/pic] Porsche 911 Sales Plummet! Panamera Propping up Porsche. After penning a response in our long running topic about Porsche sales numbers for a given month I thought I'd turn that response into a news item since surely the information in that response and the sources quoted is worthy of some discussion among our members. If our members would like to see more of these reports we will certainly consider delivering more of them in the future. Our goal is to deliver the unvarnished truth and as they say, tell it like it is. When things are good, we'll tell you, when things are bad, we'll still tell you, in fact when things are bad we may have some recommendations that do you some good. So with that said, read on and reply away!

January 2010 vs. February 2010 Porsche Sales:

Boxster and Cayman went up from 159 to 184, of course with this new reporting system we have no idea how many of each model were actually sold. Anyway about a 16% gain in Feb vs. Jan 2010

911's Plummeted from 503 to 339, a 33% decline! (anything over 30% is often times referred to as a "free fall" in the market.

Cayennes rose slightly from 590 to 599, a 1.5% increase. Nothing new here to see.

Panamera continues its downward trend from 534 to 409, a 23% decline in Panamera sales, so after a first month and a half of promising sales, the numbers coming in the last two months are not meeting the predictions that Porsche made.

Now Porsche likes to spin this that sales are up this year vs. last year, and on overall unit sales they are. But that's not exactly comparing apples to apples when last year there was no Panamera. That's sort of like Fiat acquiring Chrysler and stating that sales are up because now they are counting all Fiat and all Chrysler cars together. Let's dig a little deeper then shall we? If we take out the Panamera sales, total sales in February 2010 would be 1,122, compared to last year's 1,518 that's a decline of 396 cars in the previous product lines combined or a 26% decline year over year!

What's worse is that in November 2009 sales were down only 9% vs. the prior year if you took out Panamera sales, but now they would be down 26% meaning that Porsches traditional bread and butter cars, the 911, the Boxster, even the Cayenne are faltering in sales numbers. The Cayenne was holding its own and had even rebounded slightly since last year, but now with a new model announced you can bet that sales will plummet unless dealers have incentives to blow remaining inventory out the door. Now might be a good time to shop for an existing generation Cayenne if you want one, but after seeing what was announced and shown in Geneva, I'm not convinced too many would be Cayenne buyers will "settle" for the current generation without some steep discounting.

Panamera inventories are also beginning to rise and sales numbers are not meeting expectations, which may mean we will start to see some significant discounts just a few months after the Panamera's introduction which cannot bode well for resale value of these cars in 2-3 year's time.

The 911 is the big disappointment, after announcing the Turbo S I'm not sure there's much left in the bag of tricks that Porsche can draw from other than to whip up some "Design Edition" or "Special" models to try to bring buyers back into the showroom and arouse interest, the 997 V2 seems to have had very short legs in the market indeed.

What of the Cayman and Boxster? After showing off the new Boxster Spyder sales of Boxsters and Caymans spiked upwards 16%, is it coincidence or are buyers really harkening back to the old days of less is more? It would seem to be a no-brainer that Porsche must now produce a lightweight version of the Cayman to keep the momentum in the Boxster/Cayman lineup going. For those 911 pundits fearing that a lightweight Cayman might intrude upon 911 sales I would point to the current numbers and say "What? These sales? You must be joking!" There isn't much left to protect, the Panamera and the Cayenne both outsold the 911 last month.

It isn't all gloom and doom though at Porsche as is evidenced by the very positive response to the 918 Spyder Prototype, even if the car would likely be $500K plus, it still draws attention to Porsche's ability to engineer and produce a quality product, now if it can only speed up the time it takes to get that cutting edge technology into its every day road and sports cars it just might have a chance to pay off its loans on time without further assistance from VW.

Jan 2010

Feb 2010

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Great analysis and I agree: There are one or two things P-AG can do to boost sales. The most promising one is to bring Cayman variants along side the 911 variants.

However, with the world in so much flux as the Big O shakes the foundations of our nation and there is so much uncertainty about the future, near & far, I doubt many folks will take many risks.

Mega, where are you? What do you see coming?

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Sorry if this is ignorant, but are these worldwide numbers or US or NA or what? Feels pretty cool to be one of 159 new owners. Even rarer if Caymans were separate.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Good analysis. It appears that uncertainty is reaching the upper end car markets as well. People are just very hesitant to take any risks today.

Come on Spring. Keep in mind deep and cold winters discourage car buying. Ed

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry if this is ignorant, but are these worldwide numbers or US or NA or what? Feels pretty cool to be one of 159 new owners. Even rarer if Caymans were separate.
These are North America numbers which AFAIK is still Porsche's largest market although I'm sure China has to be catching up.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
perhaps you didnt know that porsche isnt really producing any sports cars(or delivering them) and the panamera is the only car that can be sourced readily.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
I too have heard the stories of production scaled way back in the 12 months. If you wanted to spec a new car at my local dealer, they had to hunt for allocation or horse trade with another dealer.

One thing for sure, my local dealer could use a few more GT3-RS allocations! ;)

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
perhaps you didnt know that porsche isnt really producing any sports cars(or delivering them) and the panamera is the only car that can be sourced readily.
Yes Casey I am aware of the stops and slow downs in production, but is everyone happy with Porsche doing this for sports cars and becoming a non-sports car company by default? When are things going to ramp up? What can Porsche do to ramp up sales of its sports cars that it isn't already doing? How on earth is Porsche going to pay back those loans without VW's assistance if it isn't selling any product, or at least not enough product to cover the interest rate, let alone the principal? I know the US and European markets have been cut drastically, but what about China and the Middle East, are they now being cut as well? Unfortunately it is very hard to get sales figures globally out of Porsche. :)

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
The blow out pricing on left over 911s is done and there are very few unspoken 911s in the pipeline. Current 911 sales are likely representative whereas previous high numbers were overly influenced by clearing out of dealer inventory at very attractive pricing. The Turbos that the dealer's got were limited and most are sold. VW can afford to return Porsche to a more limited production operation, which Weideking absolutely could not allow an independent Porsche to do under his plan for the company. Between the poor US economy and new VW planning the sales figures are likely to be a difficult tea leaf to read.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It would be interesting to see the figures for Europe or even just the UK as the way we buy Porsches is very different to the US with the majority being factory built bespoke orders.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The "Big O shaking the foundation of our nation"? Hardly.

Yes, I do believe that economic insecurity is the biggest factor. And yes, perhaps, some Obama paranoia too among some elements of our society.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
This too shall pass.Is being paranoid when you imagine that something is happening when it really is not? If that is the case i need both my hearing and my eyes checked.You know just in case that what i'm reading and hearing is not just my mind running rampant.I feel confident that Porsche/VW will pull out of this slump.Although i'm obviously not an economist.I apply this outlook on my personal finances.I get all wound up when things are crappy and then next year or sometimes within the next minute some new "problem" presents itself.Usually in the form of my 13 yr old son:beer::hilarious::beer::helpme:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Was just at the Porsche plant in January and they stated that they were producing 160 cars a day (all were 911s (all models) and Boxters (including the Spyder)). Not really sure how many days a week they are operating now.....

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Was just at the Porsche plant in January and they stated that they were producing 160 cars a day (all were 911s (all models) and Boxters (including the Spyder)). Not really sure how many days a week they are operating now.....
Well they arent sending any here. I am backed up now until 2011 production.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
The solution to boost Porsche sales is offer the world the same price that of the US. Porsche will not cope with demand for their cars should this happen, in fact they will really need to rethink their pricing outside the US should they want to survive as a company as the US market are tightening their belts.

·
The driver formally known as Torque
895 Posts
The solution to boost Porsche sales is offer the world the same price that of the US. Porsche will not cope with demand for their cars should this happen, in fact they will really need to rethink their pricing outside the US should they want to survive as a company as the US market are tightening their belts.
I believe some of the reason that PCNA can offer their cars in the US so cheaply is because the US taxes imported cars far less than other countries.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I thought most of the price difference was due to local import taxes, not by porsche. eg our 33% luxury car tax, 5% import tarrif and 10% GST.

·
Registered
625 Posts
this may just be me but the 911 has really become ho-hum... Performace wise they are fantastic but really in terms of body style they are very conservative and actually looking quite dated, at least the lower end 911's. You have to get in to turbo or GT3 money before the front end looks somewhat attractive. The model lineup as a whole looks GT touring car down low and sports racer only above the 100K mark.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
I think there has been a philosophy that the US keeps the factories running and the ROW makes the profit. I was in Europe last Fall and was stunned by the prices of the Porsches there, especially considering the exchange rates $ v Euro the last 5 years. Basically, it seems that we have been getting subsidized Porsches here in the US.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Is this really a big surprise? Here's a comment from Porsche that a simple search comes up with from the second half of 2008.

“Porsche has long been prepared for a possible economic crisis in the U.S.A. and has made substantial reductions in its warehouse stocks there,” the company said.

Google China and Porsche sales - 1900 in January - double that of 2009, and that isn't a blip - that is expected to be the trend. They sold 9000 cars in 2009 and expect to sell about 20000 in 2012. And that doesn't include stocking the new dealerships, etc to which you can add at least another 10% to that number to account for. Add up India, the rest of Asia, etc.......

And further, they expect worldwide sales to be up by 50% in a couple of years (that would be about 50000 cars extra). And that growth isn't in the US. History repeats itself - unfortunately the previous scenario might be the Romans.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts