Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
[pic=left]http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/6/3/9/farnbacher2_z.jpg[/pic]A Grand Time at Barber! Planet Porsche and Farnbacher Loles are teaming up for this Saturday's Grand-Am Rolex Series Race at Barber Motorsports Park. Planet Porsche is now an official sponsor of Farnbacher Loles Racing and the class-leading #87 car.

Bringing a 29-point lead into Sunday’s Grand-Am Rolex Series race at Barber Motorsports Park, the Farnbacher Loles Racing Team is looking to protect their lead for the #87 Porsche and get some of the good luck to rub off on the #86. The two cars have been quick at every track, and the 86 actually has an edge in total laps led, yet there is a 37-point gap between the two cars. Meanwhile, Leh Keen of Charleston, SC and Dirk Werner of Kissenbruck, Germany, know how difficult the race at Barber can be on both cars and drivers.

Leh Keen is determined to keep up the momentum but wary of the high temperatures possible in Alabama. “Daytona was just a little warm-up to the heat that we will see in Barber. This race will be one of the most difficult of the season but the conditions will be tough for all the competitors. Even with the heat, I look forward to this race because the track and facility are so nice. I can’t wait to get back behind the wheel of the #87 Farnbacher Loles/Shock Doctor Porsche.”

As a former series champion, Dirk Werner knows that sometimes a race comes down to survival. “The race in Alabama will be a very hard one for drivers and cars. The heat that we usually have there, makes it hard to stay focused and the tires need a very smooth driving style to make it to the end of a stint. A good setup is important to keep the tires under the car, too. The Farnbacher Loles Team has given Leh and me good cars for the races so far, and I’m sure they will do this time as well.”

Eric Lux of Jacksonville, FL is optimistic about his chances going into the rest of the season. “This has been a fantastic season thus far for the #86 car and for the Farnbacher Loles race team. We are just eight points out of second place in the championship and we will use our momentum to our advantage this weekend! Until we are sitting at the awards banquet in Hollywood, Florida this fall we will continue to apply the pressure every chance we have. The heat will make it difficult for everyone and will challenge the team and myself to work even harder to not miss a beat. I am excited for the race and hopefully the #86 Farnbacher Loles/Wheel Enhancement/Shark Energy Drink Porsche will be on the top step at Barber Motorsports Park this Sunday!”

German Porsche ace Wolf Henzler will be pulling extra duty this weekend as he will be competing on Saturday in another Farnbacher Loles Porsche and then flying directly to Birmingham on Saturday night for Sunday’s Grand-Am race. “Last time I drove at Barber was in 2006 and I loved the track and the facilities. Unfortunately, I won't be at the track for practice but I have no worries because I am sure Eric will do a good setup for the race and the Farnbacher Loles crew will do a good job in preparing the car as always. I also remember that race as one of the hottest races in the season. Eric is in a good position in the championship, very close to the second place. Our goal is to keep Eric up there and bring him closer to the second position in points.”

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Great move! FL is doing great this year... only thing better would be to see a Cayman on the track with a CC logo. But this will have to do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This will be the first Porsche 250 I've missed at Barber. I live less than 10 miles from the track.

If you haven't been, it should be on your list. The facility is outstanding and the weather looks cooler than usual for this weekend.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I was at the track this afternoon and had a chance to drive the Cayenne burbo diesel as a preferred customer at Tom Williams Porsche. Pretty impressive vehicle...................

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was at the track this afternoon and had a chance to drive the Cayenne burbo diesel as a preferred customer at Tom Williams Porsche. Pretty impressive vehicle...................
I thought they weren't bringing the Diesel Cayenne to the US?

BTW did you get to see the Farnbacher Loles car with the Planet Porsche logo on it? :)

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked to the person you rode with today. :) He wanted to know what you thought of the turbo diesel and I told him that you had good things to say, anything else you want to share with our members?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have you considered also sponsoring Flying Lizard Motorsports in the ALMS? No affiliation besides being a fan. Just wondering...

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you considered also sponsoring Flying Lizard Motorsports in the ALMS? No affiliation besides being a fan. Just wondering...
Yes, I need to talk to Jennifer there I am told as the last person I talked to there wasn't really able to assist.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I realized when I re-read my message I apparently drove the Cayenne 'burbo' :) Sorry about that. Regarding the drive. Sure, I would be glad to share some thoughts.
o If I did not know it was a diesel, I would have sworn it was a gasoline engine powering it. There was no engine noise, no smell in any way, no smoke at all from the exhaust in any of the driving situations. It took probably about 2-3 extra turns to start compared to a gas engine.
o This was a Tiptronic and in sport mode, it put you in the seat. You can feel the torque. I was a little surprised that it revved relatively high (compared to what I expected a diesel to do but certainly not a problem). But, there was no sound, no vibration.
o The steering is the same as in the A3 I have and the TT I just traded...electric. I do not care for the very light touch off idle but it does increase in resistance quickly so that road feel is decent. Not good or bad.........just typical electric boosted steering.
o Handling was pretty decent........for an SUV. A bit of lean but not bad.
o Very nice ride, good compromise between handling and comfort.
o Very nice fit and finish. This one was white with the buttercream interior.
o Brakes acted similar to what I have in the A3 and the TT. No comparison to the CS but then again, not many cars can compare.
o Quiet as a tomb when driving.....no mechanical sounds of any sort and no wind noise from mirrors et al.

o He said that it got about 29 coming in from Atlanta to Birmingham and I believe the overall average was 26 from that drive and the test route several had already taken with it prior to me. I actually saw the display to indicate what he was saying.

o Estimate of about $47K here when it comes available.

o Would I buy one? Absolutely.........it just may replace my A3 in a year or two.

Thoroughly enjoyed the rep. Knowledgable car guy from Porsche. Interesting chat during the test drive. He told me that he bet when I upgraded it would be a GT3 and I said, how did you know? His comment---folks who buy Caymans, particularly the S, like performance, balanced handling and the GT3 is the logical choice.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Jeff G - Where abouts are you in NE Georgia? I lived in Alpharetta from 1990-1997 and then in Cumming from 1997-2004...when I work for and then early retired from Coca-Cola.

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Farnbacher Loles Barber race report

7.19.09 – Birmingham. AL

The Farnbacher Loles Racing Team headed to the Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, Alabama with a 29-point lead in the Grand-Am Rolex Series GT Class. The team was prepared for the notoriously brutal heat at this beautiful track in the deep South. To everyone’s relief, while still warm, the temperatures were cooler than last year.

The team struggled a bit finding the right set-up in practice and it wasn’t until the final session that they were able to get the cars dialed in. Leh Keen took advantage of the set-up and put down a perfect lap in the #87 Farnbacher Loles/Shock Doctor Porsche 911 GT3 Cup to narrowly edge out Joe Foster in the Dempsey Racing Mazda. Keen and his co-driver Dirk Werner have had a very consistent season, which has kept them in the points lead.

The qualifying session was so incredibly tight that the first four cars were separated by only .027 seconds! Keen’s teammate Eric Lux was not far behind Leh. His lap of 1:28.768 in the #86 Farnbacher Loles/Wheel Enhancement/Shark Energy Drink Porsche was only .216 off the pole but put him in the sixth starting spot. Lux had to do all the practice and set-up on the car this weekend since his co-driver Wolf Henzler was racing another Farnbacher Loles Porsche in Connecticut and flew in to Birmingham on Saturday night.

At the green flag, Keen held the lead though the first lap while Lux was contacted by another car causing damage to the rear and sending him to the pits for a quick repair. Eric got back out quickly and was soon back into contention. Keen was passed by the #57 Pontiac midway through his opening stint and the Mazdas began to show their speed as well. At the 45-minute mark, Keen made his mandatory stop from the 4th spot and Dirk Werner took over. Eric Lux meanwhile had gotten up to third and was running fourth when he pitted to hand over to Henzler.

Henzler has had limited experience at the track and his lack of practice time prior to the race put him at a disadvantage. But he was able to get up to pace very quickly during the race and was soon turning laps times equal to his teammate.

With 45-minutes left in the race, Dirk Werner held the fifth spot while Wolf Henzler ran in seventh. And that is where they would finish. It was apparent the Porsches were no match for the Pontiacs and Mazdas this weekend. The winning #57 was turning laps 1.5 seconds faster than the fastest Porsche. With their fifth place finish, Keen and Werner points lead drops to 25 over Collins and Edwards in the #07 Pontiac. Lux is now in fourth place, only three points out of third.

Greg Loles was glad to get this race behind the team. “This circuit obviously suited our opponents better than it did us. We just couldn’t get the tires to stay under the car for a stint, but we have to be happy with our fifth and seventh place finishes considering the circumstances. Everyone did a great job. The drivers were patient and didn’t get frustrated where we could have created a problem and had a poor finish. We are definitely ready to move on and go back to the Glen where we feel the track will suit us better.”
2007 Grand-Am Rolex Series Champion Farnbacher Loles Racing is based in Braselton, GA. Farnbacher Loles Street Service, Performance and ClubSport divisions are located in Danbury, CT. Now open, Farnbacher Loles BodyWerks provides expert paint, collision and restoration services to the automotive enthusiast and racer.

FarnbacherLoles.com
PlanetPorsche.net
lehkeen.com
ericlux.com
dirk-werner.net
wolf-henzler.de

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its was really cool to see the Planet Porsche logo on the back of the car.
Speaking of which, I recorded the race because we were out and I've only watched part of it. Of course I can see the logo on the car as it flys by in some shots, but is there ever a shot of the car in the pits or something where you can see the logo clearly? If so around what time mark and I'll try to find it as I don't know that I'll have the time to sit down this week and watch the whole thing start to finish. :)

·
241 Posts
There is a very good shot of the car in the pits with the PP logo clearly visible at app 49 minutes into the three hour TV broadcast (or at almost exactly 2:00 hrs left in the race clock at the top of the screen)

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is a very good shot of the car in the pits with the PP logo clearly visible at app 49 minutes into the three hour TV broadcast (or at almost exactly 2:00 hrs left in the race clock at the top of the screen)
Yep thanks, I found it and as you said between the 2:01 and 2:00 remaining in the race mark, some good shots of the logo on either side, now if I could just get the silly Tivo2Go program to load under vista I could transfer the video to my PC and then capture the clip... ugh...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts