Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm thinking about road trip through those Vermont and New Hampshire with end point maybe on Mt.Desert Island in Maine.

Can you guys suggest scenic roads, and cool places to visit on the way there? Good places to stay in those 3 states?

Approximate map

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Buffalo,+NY/44.3296513,-68.2669721/@41.5812517,-75.2461393,7z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m10!1m1!1s0x89d3126152dfe5a1:0x982304a5181f8171!2m2!1d-78.8783689!2d42.8864468!3m4!1m2!1d-72.0807914!2d43.9840152!3s0x4cb4932624b4e4bf:0xc6897e039aee5dcc!1m0!3e0

Thanks,
Vlad

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Definitely detour across the White Mountains on the Kancamagus Hightway (Rt. 112)!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Definitely do the Kanc.

Manchester VT is picturesque. Rte I-91 north is kind of boring, although the scenery isn't bad. The alternative (Rte 5) is in bad shape in places and drags you through some very uninteresting places though. Hopefully somebody from VT can advise as to the condition of Rte 100 from Londonderry to Bridgewater instead, then take Rte 4 east. Woodstock is also picturesque with restaurants and shops. Unless you're just trying to make good time, I'd get off 91 in Norwich, cross over into Hanover (which has some nice restaurants), and take Rte 10 north to Piermont. Same farms and hills as 91 in VT but less boring. StanNH lives up there and can tell you the most scenic areas in the White Mtns and how to get to the Kanc. What time of year are you doing this?

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm doing this in two weeks I hope. Mid july

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just drove my 2014 Cayman S from Burlington, VT to NY, and the part from US-7 S (about 20 miles south of Burlington) and on to VT-17 W to NYS was one of the most amazing drives I've ever had in my life. Ever since the drive last week I've been thinking about how to create some kind of race or event on that road. It was unbelievably spectacular and tons of fun. (Of course, I had little traffic, and that that did appear was easily doused with the wide-open passing sections with great visibility.) Filled with epic turns, dips, rises, straights, uphills, downhills, etc.--and great scenery to boot. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
In VT, Route 30 is very picturesque but usually busy and there is some construction at the moment. Route 100 is a famous sports touring road. Both start in southern VT and go North.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My suggestions, if you have extra time...

- Bennington, VT to Brattleboro, VT via Route 9. Aka "Molly Stark Trail", this is one lane each way with passing lanes on uphill sections.

- Alternative is Bennington, VT to Woodstock, VT via Route 9 and Route 100. Route 100 (VT-100) takes you through the Green Mountains. One lane each way, through some small towns and picturesque. Stop at Quechee Gorge just east of Woodstock.

- Here is the route to Kancamagus and Bear Notch.

- On your return route, try Route 2 between Greenfield, MA and Troy, NY. Aka "Mohawk Trail", One lane each way and only a couple of places with a passing lane, picturesque with a hairpin turn just east of North Adams.

- Visit Watkins Glen to see Watkiins Glen State Park and "Drive the Glen" (watch out for blackout dates).

- If you like car museums, there is one in Saratoga, NY.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Hi

I'm thinking about road trip through those Vermont and New Hampshire with end point maybe on Mt.Desert Island in Maine.

Can you guys suggest scenic roads, and cool places to visit on the way there? Good places to stay in those 3 states?

Approximate map

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Buffalo,+NY/44.3296513,-68.2669721/@41.5812517,-75.2461393,7z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m10!1m1!1s0x89d3126152dfe5a1:0x982304a5181f8171!2m2!1d-78.8783689!2d42.8864468!3m4!1m2!1d-72.0807914!2d43.9840152!3s0x4cb4932624b4e4bf:0xc6897e039aee5dcc!1m0!3e0

Thanks,
Vlad
Vlad,

Watch out for the Moose when in Stan's area.:hilarious:

Have a great trip.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
287 Posts

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great, thanks! I knew I can rely on you guys! Now I have to compile everything into single route. Doable in about 5 days. Which I'll post here. Starting July 17th, at 6pm, from west-MI. Will do boring freeway part to about Rochester, NY in a first stint.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just drove my 2014 Cayman S from Burlington, VT to NY, and the part from US-7 S (about 20 miles south of Burlington) and on to VT-17 W to NYS was one of the most amazing drives I've ever had in my life. Ever since the drive last week I've been thinking about how to create some kind of race or event on that road. It was unbelievably spectacular and tons of fun. (Of course, I had little traffic, and that that did appear was easily doused with the wide-open passing sections with great visibility.) Filled with epic turns, dips, rises, straights, uphills, downhills, etc.--and great scenery to boot. Enjoy!
Can you mark on the maps.google.com part of US 7 you talking about? Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Can you mark on the maps.google.com part of US 7 you talking about? Thanks!
The most interesting part on US-7 is through Connecticut, which passes by Lime Rock. This would take you too far south.

Here is some info on VT-100 byway, a much better north/south route.

Another east/west route is on US-20, aka Jacob's Ladder. Easy off/on from I-90 if you are looking for a more direct route home. There is Lee Premium Outlets at the west end for the shoppers. From there, you can head north on US-7 to Mt Greylock and drive to the summit (highest peak in MA). Williams College is at the intersection of US-7 and Route-2 (Williamstown).

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok, here's more or less exact map of essential part of the trip. It does include almost all suggestions from above!

Nights 1 is at small but excellent B&B near Woodstock, VT. Night 2 is at ocean side resort in ME, and night 4 at Ithaca, NY, with wineries... Hope they have good wine.

From Ithaca I can head home through Canada (9 hours, 540 miles) , or go through route 6 and Alegheny national forest (11+hours, 660 miles). Trying to decide is it worth it...

VT trip map.jpg

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Ok, here's more or less exact map of essential part of the trip. It does include almost all suggestions from above!

Nights 1 and 3 are still approx. depends where I'll find good/interesting places to stay. Night 2 is at ocean side resort, and night 4 at Ithaca, with wineries... Hope they have good wine.

From Ithaca I can head home through Canada (9 hours, 540 miles) , or go through route 6 and Alegheny national forest (11+hours, 660 miles). Trying to decide is it worth it...
Looks like a great trip ... enjoy!

·
Registered
134 Posts
In Ithaca, find and visit Ithaca Falls... you can walk right up to the base of the waterfall. There is also a foot bridge that is a narrow suspension bridge that spans the gorge upstream from Ithaca Falls on the Cornell University campus.

Unless you plan to spend time in or hike the Allegheny National Forest, I suggest bypassing US-6. It is a historic road, but goes through a number of small towns and quite a few truck traffic (coal country). Alternative options are...

a) From Ithaca to Watkins Glen via NY-79. It is a somewhat interesting road, despite looking straight on the map. Montour Falls (just south of Watkins Glen) is interesting in the spring, but less so when there is not much water flowing... a bed & breakfast is situated in front of the falls.
b) If you enjoy wineries, there are a number of them along NY-14 from Watkins Glen northward.
c) From Ithaca or Watkins Glen, pick up US-17 to I-89. It will get you home faster and still be an interesting drive.
d) Have you driven through Presque Isle State Park in Erie, PA? It is a good break and diversion.

Enjoy your road trip!

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, Ithaca Falls are on the list! Never been to a winery before, but since I surely like wine, I think i'll enjoy :)

In Ithaca, find and visit Ithaca Falls... you can walk right up to the base of the waterfall. There is also a foot bridge that is a narrow suspension bridge that spans the gorge upstream from Ithaca Falls on the Cornell University campus.

Unless you plan to spend time in or hike the Allegheny National Forest, I suggest bypassing US-6. It is a historic road, but goes through a number of small towns and quite a few truck traffic (coal country). Alternative options are...

a) From Ithaca to Watkins Glen via NY-79. It is a somewhat interesting road, despite looking straight on the map. Montour Falls (just south of Watkins Glen) is interesting in the spring, but less so when there is not much water flowing... a bed & breakfast is situated in front of the falls.
b) If you enjoy wineries, there are a number of them along NY-14 from Watkins Glen northward.
c) From Ithaca or Watkins Glen, pick up US-17 to I-89. It will get you home faster and still be an interesting drive.
d) Have you driven through Presque Isle State Park in Erie, PA? It is a good break and diversion.

Enjoy your road trip!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Just be aware that coming back through Canada can be a pain if it includes crossing Toronto. You need to avoid rush hour if at all possible.

Weekends will also be slow on the 401 east of Toronto on Sunday afternoons. If it was me, I would take the longer route.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts