Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to this forum as well as Porsche cars. I am currently planning to purchase a usedcertified Cayman. I can see one for sale at my local dealer. It is a base 2015 Cayman (15k miles) with the following options:

250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
400 19" Boxster S Wheels
603 Bi-Xenon? headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
AJ Standard Interior i.c.w. Leather Seats, Black
P07 Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package
P9C Premium Package i.c.w. Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
P9G Infotainment Package with BOSE® Surround Sound System
S2 Rhodium Silver Metallic

It is currently listed for $52k. I can bet that I can ask about discount. What would be a good % to ask for?

Thank you!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was new to Porsche a few months ago. One thing I learned is that dealers don't like to negotiate much on CPO cars. If you can get them down to $50K that would be a win. When it comes to Porsches dealers don't mind them sitting on the lot for a few months to get the price they want.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: jabol

·
Registered
437 Posts
just my opinion but $50k for a 15 base sounds high.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I am guessing that this was around $66K sticker new. My 2016 is pretty similar except I have 14 Way, but have Sport Steering Wheel, X73, Mahogany Metallic paint. My total was about $68K. CPO for my car according to Edmunds (may be a big more optimistic than NADA or KBB) as a CPO is in the $54K-$55K range Retail. CPO adds $1500+/- to the price. So, net net I would offer $50K. Question from another about condition and mileage is a good one. If it is pretty much very good to excellent and <18,000-20,000 my thought on $50K holds, if it is less than very good and >20,000 it should be discounted further. My opinion only...............

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
This model has close to 15k miles and that is in SoCal.
Thank you.
Sounds like the Price is about right... If you want it you should buy it, a couple of $1000 won't matter in a few years!

·
Registered
67 Posts
FWIW I purchased a certified used 2014 Cayman S on the last day of 2016 at Porsche Perimeter Atlanta and paid $50,000. The "discount" from similar models was due to the 40k on the odometer. It is a pretty basic car, probably what I would have ordered if I bought one new except I probably would have added PTV. Since I bought this to drive the 40K didn't and doesn't bother me. I was unable to get the dealer to compromise on price, but I did get him to cut the cost of a clear bra by 50%, so I did get a little something.

The car you describe has many more options than mine, but it isn't an S. The bigger engine was more important to me then any interior packages. I also prefer a MT. In the end it looks like the dealer has fairly priced the Cayman you are looking at. Maybe you can get a certificate for an oil change or some other discounted part like window tint. I believe these things are easier from them to "give away" than a discounted price.

Good luck and let us know how this turns out for you.

·
Registered
569 Posts
FWIW I purchased a certified used 2014 Cayman S on the last day of 2016 at Porsche Perimeter Atlanta and paid $50,000. The "discount" from similar models was due to the 40k on the odometer. It is a pretty basic car, probably what I would have ordered if I bought one new except I probably would have added PTV. Since I bought this to drive the 40K didn't and doesn't bother me. I was unable to get the dealer to compromise on price, but I did get him to cut the cost of a clear bra by 50%, so I did get a little something.

The car you describe has many more options than mine, but it isn't an S. The bigger engine was more important to me then any interior packages. I also prefer a MT. In the end it looks like the dealer has fairly priced the Cayman you are looking at. Maybe you can get a certificate for an oil change or some other discounted part like window tint. I believe these things are easier from them to "give away" than a discounted price.

Good luck and let us know how this turns out for you.
I would be willing to bet you could have gotten a significantly better discount off a new one for sure, considering the tax consequences for them. I don't know why that strikes me as ironic, since it makes perfect sense, but it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I test drove the car today; I love it. I really like the seats and sound of the engine. At this point, I am not even considering S because the base Cayman has a lot of power for me. I believe the base will be a great choice for daily driving. Thank you all for your opinions. I am planning to close the deal this week.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Assuming you have not already consummated the deal. No one pays the asking, No One! Offer him $50K face to face and say you are ready to sign. If he does not bite then make sure, by asking him, if he has your contact information. i.e. email and phone. Then say "call me if you change your mind" and walk away. He will sell that car for $50K unless he has someone else who is looking at the same time. What normally happens is that the buyer blinks and gets weak at the knees and the deal is done He's got you!. Remember this car with such low milage cost Porsche almost nothing to CPO, no tires, no brake pads, no normal wear items, etc. I think I read Porsche makes about 15% on average on their cars, and you know this guy has got $5K of margin on this car. He'll sell it for $50K if you've got the guts to hold out!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Price is high for a base. I paid the same for my S with ventilated seats and a manual. All other options the same. Mine wasn't a CPO, so I don't know how much price difference that makes. I had 19k miles when I bought it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
As a comparison, my CPO 2014 Cayman base MT bought in 2014 with 6000 mile was $52K. Yours should be about $45 with that many miles. Options don't hold values- they lose 80% of their values after two years.

I didn't negotiate too hard as I was in an urgent need of a car.

I would tell them face to face that you are ready to sign if they drop the price. Otherwise, walk away. Like many said, the dealer will fold. :) The longer you wait, the better car you can buy with the same amount of money.

Good luck. Personally, Cayman base has everything I want, but S would be even more perfect - "I could use less horsepower," said no one in automotive history!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.