Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I’m pretty new to the forum, thought I would share what I’m planning for my 987.2 cayman and hopefully hear some thoughts/feedback based on what you guys might have done in the past.

I decided to go with the K&N air filter since i’ve used it in past cars and never had issues with it. I chose not to do the de-snorking simply because I couldn’t find enough evidence that it actually helped much with performance nor sound, plus I live in south Florida where we get a ton of rain and the occasional flooding so I rather avoid those issues.
I just bought a cat back Fabspeed Maxflow exhaust that should arrive tomorrow, pretty excited about getting a bit more of an aggressive sound out of the cayman and the performance gains that should come from that. I was looking at header options and came across the NHPs sold by Maxspeed-Motorsports. Has anyone had any experience with them? They look pretty good and they’re set at a better price point than anything I’ve seen so far. These seem to have 200 cell cats vs our stock 400 cell so it should make some difference. I wanted to keep some form of cats on just because i want to avoid getting too obnoxiously loud and like to think i’m Helping the environment a little this way.

https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/store/p383/Porsche_987.2_NHP_200_Cells_Exhaust_Headers.html

Anyway, that’s all I’ve got so far. Tunes and visual upgrade will probably come after I finish any performance hardware stuff but i’m Excited to hear your thoughts first. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have the same car and I would recommend the short shift kit (not the GT3 but the “short shift” kit) if you have a manual and a sprint booster if you don’t have sport chrono. You already have the exhaust going on.
The sloppy shifter, lazy throttle, and quietness were the only deficiencies I found in the car. Fix those and it’s an absolute blast.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve been thinking about the short shifter but wasn’t sure how worthwhile it would be. Also not sure how it would affect daily drivability? As for the sprint booster, which do you recommend?

·
Registered
173 Posts
No downsides to the short shifter imo. Simply makes shifting better in every way. On the SB, not sure there are multiple versions. I would just get their latest version.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't waste the money on headers.
Exhaust is good, make it sound nice.
Like your air filter, upgrade things when they're in need of replacement. But don't bother with putting money into performance for a base; focus your attention on handling and improved driving experience.

I pulled that shield out of my intake, made absolutely zero difference in performance and couldn't hear any change over my exhaust, so it went back in.
I enjoy the added challenge of rainy track days and hill climbs so water protection is preferred.

I’ve been thinking about the short shifter but wasn’t sure how worthwhile it would be. Also not sure how it would affect daily drivability?
I never understood why people complained about the shifter throw of these cars until I realized that mine (the only manual one I test drove) already had a short shifter installed.
Upon driving a friend's Cayman, I was disgusted by how long the stock throw is. It's a great upgrade for the driving experience and there's no reason why it would hinder daily driving. It'll actually make dailying easier, since you can just leave your elbow on the armrest and change gears with a flick of the wrist.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the Numeric short shifter, and I couldn't be happier. Install was a breeze, and the throws are not just shorter but also noticeably crisper. There are three throw options, and I have it on the middle one. I can't even imagine how different the shortest option must feel.

You should also probably get the Numeric shift cables too, as there have been reports of the OEM shift cables breaking, sometimes without warning. I have them, but I haven't installed them yet. Ideally one would install them at the same time as the short shifter, as the center console area will need to come apart for both jobs. I was an idiot and didn't do that.

With regard to the Sprint Booster - I would simply recommend you do some research about what it does and how it does it before you decide whether you want to buy it. It does little more than use electricity to "trick" the ECU into thinking you're pressing the accelerator pedal more quickly than you are or that it's deeper into its travel than it really is. While it makes your car feel more responsive, it's technically nothing that can't be accomplished by simply pressing the accelerator pedal harder / faster.

·
Registered
292 Posts
High flowing headers definitely make a difference in these cars. I upgraded my car to Soul 200-cell headers and definitely noticed an improvement in sound and power. When choosing headers look for HJS cats. These are German made and are the best on the market. They should last the life of your car. Reputable companies like Soul, Cargraphic and Fabspeed use them in their headers. NHP uses Chinese headers that's why they are much cheaper.
If buying new also pay attention to warranty details.

·
Registered
56 Posts
High flowing headers definitely make a difference in these cars. I upgraded my car to Soul 200-cell headers and definitely noticed an improvement in sound and power. When choosing headers look for HJS cats. These are German made and are the best on the market. They should last the life of your car. Reputable companies like Soul, Cargraphic and Fabspeed use them in their headers. NHP uses Chinese headers that's why they are much cheaper.
If buying new also pay attention to warranty details.
When you added the 200 cell headers, did you get any lights or codes? Is a tune required?
I have a base with a borla catback, sounds great but squeezing out some more HP is always nice. Soul is a little pricey but seems like awesome quality.

·
Registered
292 Posts
When you added the 200 cell headers, did you get any lights or codes? Is a tune required?
I have a base with a borla catback, sounds great but squeezing out some more HP is always nice. Soul is a little pricey but seems like awesome quality.
I did get a CEL after adding the headers. A tune is definitely recommended as it will help to squeeze out available power allowed by free flowing headers and get rid of the CEL. I got my tune done by Soul as well.
I can't say enough good things about their customer service! Their products are not cheap but they offer awesome products and an excellent warranty, which applies even for track cars.

·
Registered
173 Posts
With regard to the Sprint Booster - I would simply recommend you do some research about what it does and how it does it before you decide whether you want to buy it. It does little more than use electricity to "trick" the ECU into thinking you're pressing the accelerator pedal more quickly than you are or that it's deeper into its travel than it really is. While it makes your car feel more responsive, it's technically nothing that can't be accomplished by simply pressing the accelerator pedal harder / faster.
Colnago, I hear that response all the time in regards to the sprintbooster. Almost always from people who have never tried one for themselves. I was super skeptical as well before I purchased. I am telling you, it does waaaaay more than mimic the response of “simply pressing the pedal harder.” It transformed the character of the car. Night and day. I’ve dropped over $15k in mods on my Cayman and the sprintbooster is the best bang for the buck mod I have done. Seriously.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys, just an update. I got the Fabspeed exhaust today and i’m super excited to install it. After reading some of your comments I’ve started to think twice about the headers. It might not be entirely necessary, after all it is just a base that I may end up selling in a few years anyway. As for the short shifter, I think this might be more likely just because the more I read about it the more it seems that it really makes a positive difference in the fun of driving it so I may end up doing that.

In terms of the Sprint booster, I’m wondering if it really makes a difference if I’m planning on doing the ECU tune anyway? Wouldn’t that also increase the response time?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went with the GT3 shift console for the metal bushings. Every Cayman I test drove (all with ~60k to 75k miles) had sloppy shift action, I think the factory plastic-bushing consoles wear and develop a lot of play. I also went with the updated cable routing and new cables. What a huge difference that made! I'm good with this setup. If I'd wanted short shift throws I probably would have gone with the Numeric one as I think the Porsche short-shifter doesn't do anything about lateral throws, only shortens fore/aft throws.
I have sport chrono, and even in "sport" mode the throttle response feels soft. Forget to hit sport button and it's downright lazy. I honestly thought I'd never be using "sport" on the street because excessive tip-in response isn't a thing I'm a fan of, but Porsche really seems to have gone out of their way to make the base model feel DOG-SLOW. If cars without the sport chrono package feel like mine does without "sport" button engaged, I'd probably do something about it. My '17 BRZ feels 10x more eager off the line vs. Cayman in sport mode, nevermind non-sport!

Anyway, enjoy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Avoid the K & N, it's install sucks, as its a poor fit into the stock airbox. If you do it you need to bevel the rubber edge about 3mm with a 30 degree ramp to get it to slide on, sme silicon lube helps to. The de-sork is good for the sound, that's it, nice induction noises. Sharkwerks told me the only real gain with the tune is the throttle response improvement, so the Sprint Booster maybe easier to do and it has levels of adjustments basically increases the amount of throttle sooer in the range of the pedal movement. Maybe good for the street, as it feels racey, but on track you would want more modulation to control the cars movement better in a corner, ie not a jumpy throttle pedal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with cavediver. I have a BMC in my 07 987.1 and it is a perfect fit! Can’t go wrong with BMC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the Numeric short shifter, and I couldn't be happier. Install was a breeze, and the throws are not just shorter but also noticeably crisper. There are three throw options, and I have it on the middle one. I can't even imagine how different the shortest option must feel."
Amen to this. I couldn't believe how sloppy the shifter was after driving Alfa Romeos for 50+ years (Yes, I am that old). I installed the shifter easily and it transformed the feel of the Cayman. It is adjustable when you install it. Numeric recommends the medium setting, which is what I used. I like how crisp shifts are and that it shorten the 4-5 shift significantly. I did not use Numeric cables. I went down to Porsche and bought an inexpensive cable end piece, the one that connects the cable to the shifter -- it's what usually breaks. Now I have a new one, plus a used one that is still good for emergencies. Enlarge the photos and you can see this is a rock-solid, high quality piece of equipment. In contrast, the Porsche shifter is cheap and flexible.

Numeric shifter 1b.jpg

Numeric shifter 2b.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys, sorry it’s been a while since last update. I installed the Fabspeed Max flow exhaust and well.... Although the top end sound is amazing, the drone around 2500rpm is insane. If I’m cruising in 6th and make the mistake of pressing the gas without shifting to 4th first, man do my ears really not like that. I read on the forum johnkhobson posted that this might be just an adjustment issue from the install so I’m hoping to test that out asap but if not, I’m not sure what to do. I read that exhaust wraps might help with the inner resonance + even help with scavenging, does anyone have any experience with those?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts