Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey guys, sorry it’s been a while since last update. I installed the Fabspeed Max flow exhaust and well.... Although the top end sound is amazing, the drone around 2500rpm is insane. If I’m cruising in 6th and make the mistake of pressing the gas without shifting to 4th first, man do my ears really not like that. I read on the forum johnkhobson posted that this might be just an adjustment issue from the install so I’m hoping to test that out asap but if not, I’m not sure what to do. I read that exhaust wraps might help with the inner resonance + even help with scavenging, does anyone have any experience with those?

I get what you mean about cruising in sixth without shifting to 4th when gassing... will a sprint booster be a cheap fix for this?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
For the drone? I can’t see why it would fix it... I just mean that the acceleration in that rpm range make the drone unbearable

·
Registered
108 Posts
With the SB, it could help being less likely in that zone and for a shorter period. You can simply downshift and have a heavier gas foot too I guess.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Changing the performance output of a car isn't going to change the exhaust tone. You'd still hit drone every time you passed through the magic RPM rnage.

There's a few things you can do to minimize the effects of drone. For one, sometimes just adjusting the length of the exhaust tips can help.

You could also consider welding in some resonators. But without studying the science of flow with your specific system, resonators could hinder performance or simply change the RPM range that drone occurs.

One thing that will really help would be to get some sound dampening material to line the trunk area. While this won't prevent the drone, it will help muffle it as it comes into the cabin. The Cayman has much worse drone than the Boxster because of the rear hatch turns the cabin into a symphony hall for the engine. The Boxster just has wind noise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Changing the performance output of a car isn't going to change the exhaust tone. You'd still hit drone every time you passed through the magic RPM rnage.

There's a few things you can do to minimize the effects of drone. For one, sometimes just adjusting the length of the exhaust tips can help.

You could also consider welding in some resonators. But without studying the science of flow with your specific system, resonators could hinder performance or simply change the RPM range that drone occurs.

One thing that will really help would be to get some sound dampening material to line the trunk area. While this won't prevent the drone, it will help muffle it as it comes into the cabin. The Cayman has much worse drone than the Boxster because of the rear hatch turns the cabin into a symphony hall for the engine. The Boxster just has wind noise.
Thanks for the advise! So right now I have the exhaust tips in line with the bumper, so it’s not really sticking out too much. Do you think extending them out a bit would help?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks for the advise! So right now I have the exhaust tips in line with the bumper, so it’s not really sticking out too much. Do you think extending them out a bit would help?
It definitely could! I'm not saying build a Laguna Seca pipe, but even making the tips protrude another 2" can slightly alter the drone level for the driver's seat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I’ll definitely give it a shot! Do you know anything about if the exhaust wraps could help? I read from some people that it could help muffle down the drone and even help a little with performance. I’m sure the performance bit is negligible but if it helps, I’d be willing to try that too.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I’ll definitely give it a shot! Do you know anything about if the exhaust wraps could help? I read from some people that it could help muffle down the drone and even help a little with performance. I’m sure the performance bit is negligible but if it helps, I’d be willing to try that too.
Wrapping the headers and exhaust would only very slightly muffle the noise. You'd have better luck from lining the interior with sound dampening insulation.

The main performance benefits are to keep the heat within the exhaust plumbing and discourage the heat from dissipating into the engine bay.
Turbo cars see a greater benefit from these types of wraps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you interested in an ecu tune eventually, just do it now. I have the MaxFlo on my S (manual) and mine had pretty bad drone, too. I went for a Cobb tune and it took it right out!!! Altered the exhaust note, too...she is quite deeper now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If you interested in an ecu tune eventually, just do it now. I have the MaxFlo on my S (manual) and mine had pretty bad drone, too. I went for a Cobb tune and it took it right out!!! Altered the exhaust note, too...she is quite deeper now.
I do plan on getting an ECU tune eventually but I want to make sure I get all of my hardware out of the way first. Might end up adding in some 200 cell catted headers and I’m considering the plenum + gt3 TB. Speaking of, does anyone know how useful the GT3 TB is as a stand-alone upgrade (without the IPD Plenum upgrade)? Found a good deal on the TB but the plenum still seems pretty expensive to me and I’m not sure if I’m completely convinced it’s worth it. As always, I appreciate the tips and advise from everyone!

·
Registered
818 Posts
I stumbled onto a great setup through Soul for my 987.1S. I bought Soul's long tube catless headers. John also mentioned that Softronic's had a great flash that would tie together the 82mm throttle body I thought I had installed in my car. Well, I was wrong, I had Softronics Race package installed on my car, a 78mm 996 GT3 throttle body from an earlier year and that year GT3 RS plenum. Along with a EVOMS air cleaner, the engine could breathe and the long tube headers to extract. Scott at Softronics has a current special tune for that Race package that I downloaded and installed. His tune adjusts fuel delivery, vario cam plus, ignition mapping and intake resonance valve. So the end result was a flat torque slope and from seat of the pants, great acceleration. I am now looking to finish this job with a Sprint Booster, not for the track but for the other 80% of my cars usage. I really want to do a Dyno test on this setup to let Scott and John know the results.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hey everyone, thought I would give a little update.

So I still haven’t had time to adjust my cat-back just yet but I’m still hoping this will help eliminate the drone. If not maybe some wrap will be next, we’ll see.

On the other hand, my fathers birthday is coming up so I decided to buy him the tune for his S550 along with my own (tuner very kindly helped me out in terms of pricing) so I guess that’s going to speed up some of the other purchases I had in mind! I’m looking at about $2k for both tunes including the flash loaders. I guess I might as well get the 200 cell headers asap since they would need to be included before the tune is created. I guess October is the Month of Mods for the Cayman!

Still debating on the IPD plenum + TB upgrade... I know I should have this before the tune also but I’m really on the fence here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I did see that but it’s for the smaller, standard plenum size. Also, its for the older design which doesn’t fit my car. I actually found Siga Motorsports sells the upgraded plenum for a little cheaper so I went ahead and I bought it with them. I’ll purchase the GT3 TB and hopefully do the install soon and let you guys know!

·
Registered
32 Posts
What do you typically use your car for and what other plans do you have in mind?

I have a 2.9 as well and noticed a HUGE difference when I put my catless headers, x-tips and tune. I can't wait to hear about your thoughts on the TB and if it makes a difference or not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
What do you typically use your car for and what other plans do you have in mind?

I have a 2.9 as well and noticed a HUGE difference when I put my catless headers, x-tips and tune. I can't wait to hear about your thoughts on the TB and if it makes a difference or not.
So the car is actually my daily but I want to be able to take it to the track every now and then for some spirited driving. Nothing too competitive or anything, just to enjoy the drive of a great car.

I was hoping to install the plenum + TB yesterday but FedEx has been an absolute mess and just delivered the plenum today. I’m gonna try and install it this weekend and will let you guys know. From what I understand there’s a roughly 50mile break-in period with this upgrade for the ECU to adjust so we’ll see. After that I’ll be doing 200 cell catted headers then, finally, the ECU tune from OE Tuning.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
UPDATE: Well guys, first problem with this install. As we were attempting to re-install the plenum and TB on Sunday, the actuator in the back of the plenum snapped off from hitting the back of the engine bay :eek: I called the nearest dealer and was able to buy it for $128 and it should be here by tomorrow, but this was a pretty sad moment. Even the second actuator became useless when we pulled off the vacuum line and tore out the piece that holds it in place🤦‍♂️ Tomorrow once we have the actual part we'll try again and hopefully be a little more careful but man was that upsetting! Especially since the car has to sit there until we can get this fixed! Well, hopefully we'll get in done this week and I can update you guys with better news. Stay tuned!

454 Posts
Hey! Realistically exhaust wrap won't help too much in terms of sound deadening and performance in this application. The main goal of exhaust wrap is to reduce heat from leaving the exhaust to keep ambient temperatures around the exhaust down and maintain the velocity of the exhaust gasses. Hotter exhaust gasses flow faster and that leads to more power. You'd be hard pressed to notice any gains or a major reduction in drone on the catback. Exhaust wrap also exacerbates wear on the exhaust due to increased heat and retention of moisture when it gets wet. Not a problem on a product with a lifetime warranty, but if any welds crack it still requires addressing. I just heat wrapped the header on my BRZ in an attempt to reduce under hood temperatures (it kills the coil packs on these cars) and reduce drone - temps are way down but there was no effect on the drone.

If you'd consider it, our Valved Exhaust was built around fighting drone. We evaluated lots of other systems and knew drone can be an issue, especially with aftermarket headers. Our muffler design reduces drone with valves open and closed for a refined sound even with headers. We have two 987.2 Caymans - a daily driven S with catted headers and an R with catless headers that is tracked and both cars are at home in their element with the exhaust setups. If you'd like to chat more with John Gaydos here, he is intimately familiar with the exhaust setup on your car among many others and he'd love to offer any advice he can give to make sure you have the best driving experience!

-Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hey! Realistically exhaust wrap won't help too much in terms of sound deadening and performance in this application. The main goal of exhaust wrap is to reduce heat from leaving the exhaust to keep ambient temperatures around the exhaust down and maintain the velocity of the exhaust gasses. Hotter exhaust gasses flow faster and that leads to more power. You'd be hard pressed to notice any gains or a major reduction in drone on the catback. Exhaust wrap also exacerbates wear on the exhaust due to increased heat and retention of moisture when it gets wet. Not a problem on a product with a lifetime warranty, but if any welds crack it still requires addressing. I just heat wrapped the header on my BRZ in an attempt to reduce under hood temperatures (it kills the coil packs on these cars) and reduce drone - temps are way down but there was no effect on the drone.

If you'd consider it, our Valved Exhaust was built around fighting drone. We evaluated lots of other systems and knew drone can be an issue, especially with aftermarket headers. Our muffler design reduces drone with valves open and closed for a refined sound even with headers. We have two 987.2 Caymans - a daily driven S with catted headers and an R with catless headers that is tracked and both cars are at home in their element with the exhaust setups. If you'd like to chat more with John Gaydos here, he is intimately familiar with the exhaust setup on your car among many others and he'd love to offer any advice he can give to make sure you have the best driving experience!

-Mike
Thanks for the tips Mike!! You’re right though, the more I read about the exhaust wrap and hear about it from people who have used it in my area (South Florida, AKA 90% average humidity) the worse of an idea it seems like to me. As for the valved exhaust, I really like your exhausts but I actually already installed the Fabspeed :/

21 - 40 of 41 Posts