Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first DIY post so feel free to as questions if I missed anything. I decided to try this out as purchasing and having brand new matte black emblems placed on were more expensive then I would like to spend. What you need:

Plastidip spray (black or any other color of your choice)
Painting Masking tape
Large garbage bag (I had a large felt lining)
Blow dryer (to speed up drying)
Tooth pick (something small and sharp)

1. Cut out a garbage bag till it is flat and the a rectangular hole in just goes over ur emblem. Then mask the hole till you outline your emblems like below. Make sure the tape closest to the emblem is sealed tight, don't need to to this too all the tape as it will decrease the cleaning of the tape residue.

2. With the Plastidip make sure you purge the can each time you spray a coat so you get a even spray. Make sure you also let each coat dry before applying the next coat. You can speed up the drying with a blow dry or a heat gun. You can usually tell when it is dry as the paint changes from a gloss to a matte black color. I recommend light but more coats and opposed to the thick and less coats. I recommend at least 8-9 coats. However the Plastidip seems to be quite forgiving in this area. Make sure your spray from all angles as well to get the whole emblem.

3. After the last coat is applied don't wait too to remove the tape as this will make it easier to remove. Peel away the tape carefully when you get to the areas closest to the emblem. I find you get the cleanest look when you pull the area away from the emblem because it breaks the Plastidip coating leaving no residue. Use a fine toothpick carefully removing smaller pieces you missed. This is probably the hardest part as you might find that you scraped too hard or even accidentally pulled too hard removing some of the Plastidip from the emblems.

4. Clean and remove any tape residues and hopefully yours like this:

If not you can easily remove the Plastidip from the emblems and start over again, till you get it perfect!!!

Fent

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nicely Done!
Have used PlastiDip on my wife's Mustang..dipped the front chin spoiler red as she wanted a black and red themed trim-out of her black Mustang Convertible. Red LeMans stripes on fenders, red Mustang on windshield and black Motegi racing wheels with a red accent stripe around the edge.
It is fun to work with...watching the guys on youtube is very enteraining and educational.
Thought about doing what you did to my silver emblems and silver summer wheels on my white CS but the white PlastDip color doesn't quite match Porsche white.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Color matching is probably a downside to this but with the matte black I'm going to try to experiment on other things on the car (eg. headlight nozzles). Will post up pics when I get around to it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I am confused. Did you or did you not mask off each letter? By the pictures it looks like you just did a general mask and then painted the letters which would also leave plastidip on the paint that you didn't mask off?
What am I missing?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I am confused. Did you or did you not mask off each letter? By the pictures it looks like you just did a general mask and then painted the letters which would also leave plastidip on the paint that you didn't mask off?
What am I missing?
Plastidip peels off the paint very easily, so he did exactly what you're saying. Then he peeled the dip off the car body, but left it on the jewelery.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What am I missing?
That was exactly what I thought before I started playing with it. I don't know the exact reason my guess is because the emblem is actually floating a bit and you don't get a thick layer of the Plastidip forming in between the emblem and the paint that when you peel it away, it separates from the paint easily. It also helps if you actually pull it away from the emblems as opposed to peeling it on some parts. Hard to explain but give it try, it's pretty impressive for such a low price!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Plastidip peels off the paint very easily, so he did exactly what you're saying. Then he peeled the dip off the car body, but left it on the jewelery.
That was exactly what I thought before I started playing with it. I don't know the exact reason my guess is because the emblem is actually floating a bit and you don't get a thick layer of the Plastidip forming in between the emblem and the paint that when you peel it away, it separates from the paint easily. It also helps if you actually pull it away from the emblems as opposed to peeling it on some parts. Hard to explain but give it try, it's pretty impressive for such a low price!
Thanks to both of you. I like this mod and may give it a try. Fentanyl posted some great pics and thanks for the guidelines.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Great website with lots of products but too bad they don't ship to Canada. Quick update on the durability of the dip. After numerous high pressure washes it still looks as good as now. See for yourself. Thinking of maybe doing my exhaust tips...

·
Registered
781 Posts
Awesome looks great...will it survive or melt from the heat of the exhaust? Guess we will find out soon but I'd be wary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thought about that but I remember see an article of a member with a 987 and he no issues after the first few months of doing his exhaust tips. Apparently they are very durable even under high temperatures. I'm actually more worried about removing the exhaust tips

·
Registered
16 Posts
How does the plastidip stand up to hand washing with a towel mitt?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for the late response PbPedis, but it has been very well with hand washing and pressure wand washing as well. I'll post some updated pictures when i get the chance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry for the late response PbPedis, but it has been very well with hand washing and pressure wand washing as well. I'll post some updated pictures when i get the chance.
Good to hear. It looks good!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I must be the only one that doesn't like the plastidip texture. I'd prefer someone to produce some gloss black stickers you can just place on top of the letters. That might sound stupid, but a few of the BMW M folks have finally figured out it's easier to just resticker the M emblems rather than changing them out. Someone could do the same here ...

·
Registered
116 Posts
My Boxster was delivered last week...first thing I did was debadge the model name and used Plastdip to make PORSCHE black..looks great on the Speed Yellow.
Second thing was to install a black PORSCHE windshield decal across the windshield.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I must be the only one that doesn't like the plastidip texture. I'd prefer someone to produce some gloss black stickers you can just place on top of the letters. That might sound stupid, but a few of the BMW M folks have finally figured out it's easier to just resticker the M emblems rather than changing them out. Someone could do the same here ...
You can always put the Glossifier on top of the Plasti-dip and get a, well, glossier, texture.

Fentenyl - did you ever do your exhaust tips? If so, how are they holding up? I'm interested in doing that and will do my headlight washers soon. I'm going for the full blue and black look!

Black Letters.jpg

·
Sprinsteen fanatic
452 Posts
Looks great! I can attest to the durability of Plastidip (though not on an exhaust). I Plastidip'd the wheels on my Tacoma last year and after numerous off-road adventures, they look good and withstand multiple high-pressure washes. The best part is that even if they did get a little nicked up, it's so easy to make the repair.

I too am interested in how the Plastidip holds up on the exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts