Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after making a aerokit type rear wing, I've decided to look at a GT3 type, larger rear wing.
Here are the first rough photo's

My intention is to re engineer the alloy uprights and make them skeletal, a little like the new GT3 Rs's with an all carbon wing Blade

Your thoughts Guys...Too Big, Too Small Not high enough etc etc

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks great but for a wing this size IMHO it needs to be functional. Are you able to measure downforce?
No not yet, but we've used the GT3RS spoiler as a master so as long as it set to the correct angle of attack then it "should" have a similar effect !!

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
No not yet, but we've used the GT3RS spoiler as a master so as long as it set to the correct angle of attack then it "should" have a similar effect !!
How is it mounted to the car, any drilling required?

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
I like... BUT honestly, I don't have the stones to put the "boy racer" look on my Daily Driver... An Aero style wing (enlarged a little) is more my "cup of tea".

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How is it mounted to the car, any drilling required?
Oh Yes....lots of drilling :(:(:( ..........no not really, you could actually get away with no drilling at all !! with all todays resins and glues, but as I had already drilled my hatch to take the Porsche aerokit (4 holes), I wasn't that bothered about drilling 4 more. At the end of the day I bought a new rear hatch some 18 months ago to make the mould for the carbon rear hatch, so as and when. I'll paint that to match my colour. :):)

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
If it is a track car, it looks good. If it is driven on the street, too big.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Would any additional work have to be done to the front of the car to keep it from lifting at high speeds due to the additional down force that the rear wing provides?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Looks purposeful and in keeping, and also could be a genuine part.

I like it and the carbon uprights will improve it.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would any additional work have to be done to the front of the car to keep it from lifting at high speeds due to the additional down force that the rear wing provides?
If you look at the 3rd photo, we already have a front splitter fitted, but may now try a adjustable extended carbon under splitter,that extends out at the front, but that would definitely be a no no for the road.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Your design is possibly a few inches too wide.

May now try a adjustable extended carbon under splitter,that extends out at the front, but that would definitely be a no no for the road.
Would it be possible to use something like the standard rear spoiler lift mechanism for the front splitter?

Nick

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Your design is possibly a few inches too wide. Nick
Maybe, but not as wide as mookie’s (now that is WIDE) or so it looks on the photo.

Would it be possible to use something like the standard rear spoiler lift mechanism for the front splitter?Nick
Not 100% what you mean. As there’s not a lot of room under the front PU and the mechanism is about 2" deep so I'm not sure where you could put it...but you've given me another idea !!

The GT3RS wing on the CS is great.
Jez mookie that wing looks huge, more photo's please

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
Wow that's big...do/did you for for Airbus or Boeing?

For a track car, I don't see anything wrong with the size as long as it is functional....streetwise...leave that look for the ricers :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
hi ya alan i think the height is fine maybe a little wide you could say take 30mm off each side,not sure about the black base thingy could spray it silver
defo a track-race car look now, no good in the tesco car park now you could look a bit of a james blunt with that baby;)

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi ya alan i think the height is fine maybe a little wide you could say take 30mm off each side,not sure about the black base thingy could spray it silver
defo a track-race car look now, no good in the tesco car park now you could look a bit of a james blunt with that baby;)
John, it's straight out the mould mate, hence the gelled unpainted look.
I think when it's painted to match the car it will look a lot more subtle....honest !! :hilarious: :hilarious:

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
If you look at the 3rd photo, we already have a front splitter fitted, but may now try a adjustable extended carbon under splitter,that extends out at the front, but that would definitely be a no no for the road.
I did see the front splitter but I was wondering if it would provide enough down force at the front of the car to match the down force at the rear considering how much larger that spoiler is compared to the one that is part of the Aero kit. Without putting the car into a wind tunnel for testing it is going to take a lot of trial and error to arrive at the right combination.

I like the look of the rear spoiler. After you "re engineer the alloy uprights and make them skeletal" it will look even better. I am going to follow your progress on this because I am considering installing a spoiler and front splitter but haven't seen one that I really like.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like the look of the rear spoiler. After you "re engineer the alloy uprights and make them skeletal" it will look even better. I am going to follow your progress on this because I am considering installing a spoiler and front splitter but haven't seen one that I really like.
The next one I'll have will be all carbon, for weight. I 'm also thinking of incorporating the mounting into our carbon rear hatch, but that’s work in progress.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Hey Allan,

Nice looking project :cool:.

If you decide to do a production run of the wings put me on the waiting list, as per my earlier reply to your email I'm still looking for a lightweight functional rear wing ;)

Thanks,

Ken

1 - 20 of 61 Posts