Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happiest day today. Some of you might remember how I had spec'd out my boxster in PTS turquoise blue and placed the order but later while loitering around my dealer waiting for my SA, I sat in a few of the boxsters with the different seats only to realize sadly that my 6'4" tall body was too snug in the Boxster. Maybe I was too excited during my test drive of the boxster to have thought much of it at the time.

So I placed an order for a 911-50 but my heart was set on the mid engine boxster. Today, I went to the porsche International world road show in Monticello, NY (courtesy of my dealer) and had the opportunity to drive, among other models, the cayman and cayman S. The first thing that I noticed when I sat inside is that I actually fit comfortable inside!!! I said to my wife who took a seat next to me "wtf????" I could barely fit inside the boxster but I fit comfortable inside this cayman?? I'm 6'4" but weigh only 178 lbs so I'm not obese, just tall.

Wow!!, what an incredible driving experience. At 130-140 mph, entering turns, down straightways, braking, the cayman was absolutely exhilarating. I also drove the 911 C4 and 911 C4S and though they were fun, they didn't approach the same level of utopia. Lets just say that if I were Buddhist, I would have reached Nirvana while driving the Cayman. Both Cayman and Cayman S were equally satisfying with their 20 inch wheels.

When my wife and I were walking back to the parking lot, there were 5 porsche models across the range on display in the parking lot. One of them was an aqua blue Boxster S. The nagging question of why did I fit inside the cayman on the track but not the Boxster at the dealership got me curious. So I popped open the door and sat inside the boxster.......and lo and behold, I did not fit comfortable. So it wasn't my imagination. And by the way, rhodium silver is an amazing color. I saw a dealer 911 in rhodium silver in the parking lot. Beautiful silver with a slight hint of blue.

Is there a difference in the interior driver legroom/seat travel/dimensions of the two cars? Suffice to say, on Monday, I will cancel my order for the 911-50 and place an order for a Cayman S. God heard my prayer. :dance:

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
Happiest day today. Some of you might remember how I had spec'd out my boxster in PTS turquoise blue and placed the order but later while loitering around my dealer waiting for my SA, I sat in a few of the boxsters with the different seats only to realize sadly that my 6'4" tall body was too snug in the Boxster. Maybe I was too excited during my test drive of the boxster to have thought much of it at the time.

So I placed an order for a 911-50 but my heart was set on the mid engine boxster. Today, I went to the porsche International world road show in Monticello, NY (courtesy of my dealer) and had the opportunity to drive, among other models, the cayman and cayman S. The first thing that I noticed when I sat inside is that I actually fit comfortable inside!!! I said to my wife who took a seat next to me "wtf????" I could barely fit inside the boxster but I fit comfortable inside this cayman?? I'm 6'4" but weigh only 178 lbs so I'm not obese, just tall.

Wow!!, what an incredible driving experience. At 130-140 mph, entering turns, down straightways, braking, the cayman was absolutely exhilarating. I also drove the 911 C4 and 911 C4S and though they were fun, they didn't approach the same level of utopia. Lets just say that if I were Buddhist, I would have reached Nirvana while driving the Cayman. Both Cayman and Cayman S were equally satisfying with their 20 inch wheels.

When my wife and I were walking back to the parking lot, there were 5 porsche models across the range on display in the parking lot. One of them was an aqua blue Boxster S. The nagging question of why did I fit inside the cayman on the track but not the Boxster at the dealership got me curious. So I popped open the door and sat inside the boxster.......and lo and behold, I did not fit comfortable. So it wasn't my imagination. And by the way, rhodium silver is an amazing color. I saw a dealer 911 in rhodium silver in the parking lot. Beautiful silver with a slight hint of blue.

Is there a difference in the interior driver legroom/seat travel/dimensions of the two cars? Suffice to say, on Monday, I will cancel my order for the 911-50 and place an order for a Cayman S. God heard my prayer. :dance:
:cheers:

Maybe the racing yellow cars are a bit bigger? ;)

Are you going PTS again?

And hmmm... I like the 911-50. Pity there is no room for both ;)

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Glad to have you back in the 981 fold again. :dance:

I have no idea why the Cayman offered more room than the Boxster. I thought the seats and leg room were identical. ????

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Cool that you're happy!! I owned a981 Boxster and Cayman and didn't notice an appreciable difference. Then again I'm but 5'7" after coffee so I found both very comfortable.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PTS turquoise blue still has to undergo approval and feasibility study, yada yada yada per my SA. The racing yellow on that cayman S simply floored me when I looked at it. What a beauty. I saw some pics of a red Cayman on this site which look awesome but haven't seen a red in person. I may go for a yellow since I've never owned a yellow car before but have had 2 red ones. The racing yellow is such a pleasant yellow to look at.

·
Registered
926 Posts

\

As a Cayman S owner I can tell you that it is indeed a special car, no matter how much money you spend on a Porsche! I'm 6'3" and a bit more weight than I care to mention, and fit just fine the Cayman. I'm not surprised that you came away with the "wow" feeling after putting the Cayman S (and base) through the paces - this car just makes me smile everytime I drive it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
We also did the Roadshow (in Colorado) a couple weeks ago and got to drive a couple 991s and Caymans on the track. In order to test the cars, I did something you would not normally do as a good driver... I intentionally tried to unbalance the car by accelerating and decelerating aggressively in the middle of corners. When doing this, the 991s were twitchier than the Caymans, with the 991s tail stepping out momentarily and PSM helping to keep the car going where it was suppose to go. The Cayman on the other hand never became twitchy, and cornered like they were on rails, no matter what I did to try to unbalance it. Of course this was casual track driving and not driving at either cars limits, but it did show the excellent balance of the Caymans. It was nice getting to drive these cars back to back.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree. I did extremely hard braking in the turns and the 911 c4s became as you said "twitchy" whereas the cayman braked like a roller coaster slowing down from a mile high run. It felt so solid during hard braking and cornering at high speeds. It was beyond any expectation.
As an aside, I did not notice much tire/noise inside the cabin as some people mentioned they've had noise issues with the 20 inch wheels. Don't know if it had to do with the smooth track versus public roads.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm very happy that things worked out for you! I can tell by the tone of your post that this was the perfect news for you... Seems that the 50th anniversary was a consolation prize for you versus the 981. I ordered the Racing Yellow Cayman S and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. My vehicle arrives this week so I'm extremely excited! It's good to know you thought the color looked great on the vehicle because my car will be the first RY Cayman I see in person :D

Keep us updated on your specs once you change ur order.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
613 Posts
PTS turquoise blue still has to undergo approval and feasibility study, yada yada yada per my SA. The racing yellow on that cayman S simply floored me when I looked at it. What a beauty. I saw some pics of a red Cayman on this site which look awesome but haven't seen a red in person. I may go for a yellow since I've never owned a yellow car before but have had 2 red ones. The racing yellow is such a pleasant yellow to look at.
Agreed! Unfortunately the colour rarely seems to reproduce accurately in photographs. To me, it is truly a "canary yellow", which I would characterize as the yellow you would see on a color wheel. By contrast, Fly Yellow, the previous Porsche yellow, looked a bit earthy in contrast, certainly not a bright yellow. On the other hand, it isn't an "electric yellow". It's just yellow. Kind of a happy yellow. Okay, I'll stop now...

·
Registered
124 Posts
scubadiver637,

There are different types of "snug". Where were you tight?

I have a niggling feeling that you may have had base seats in the "roomier" Cayman. As I understand it, the 14 and 18 way seats reduce useable interior space. Maybe some more seat time is in order, perhaps taking notes on which seats and adjustments work on the Cayman and then duplicating that in a Boxster.

Ummm. Turquoise Blue. :)

Stewart

·
Registered
92 Posts
I commented on the original thread. I am 6'3" with 36 stand over so I have very long legs. I have no problem fitting in any of the 981 C with any of the seats.

I think the variable is how far you like your seat back. If this were a truck or luxury sedan I would want the seat back more but if I sit even close to a sport posititon I fit fine.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The interiors are the same, the basic chassis is essentially the same too. I can't say I noticed any additional space when I sat in a cayman vs my boxster.

Great car whichever one you end up getting. The 911-50 is probably a better investment, but the 981 will be a fun car

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm sure someone will be THRILLED to take over that 911-50 order! I love my Cayman S, but that 911-50 is going to be a special car in a few years.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I assume your head wasn't touching the roof liner in either car? If that's the case, I wonder the boxster gave you more of a "snug" feeling due to the roll bars behind your head - if you're all legs, your seat will be all the way back and the roll bars should be right behind your head. Also, you have two smaller windows (between door/windows and C-pillars) in the cayman. It's not much of a window... but compared with the boxster, which the top comes closes right on side windows, it also lets in more light. The last thing I can think of is... the boxster top curves/rolls toward center of car in more aggressively than the cayman.

Heck, I'm 5'5... and with helmet doing laps...the Boxster feels very confined... and I do bump my helmet on the side of the convertible top if I try to get in/out with helmet on.

The boxster & cayman are great cars, good you found the car that fits you. Enjoy!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
scubadiver637,

There are different types of "snug". Where were you tight?

I have a niggling feeling that you may have had base seats in the "roomier" Cayman. As I understand it, the 14 and 18 way seats reduce useable interior space. Maybe some more seat time is in order, perhaps taking notes on which seats and adjustments work on the Cayman and then duplicating that in a Boxster.

Ummm. Turquoise Blue. :)

Stewart
I had the 14 way power seats in the "roomier" cayman S. That is what was strange. The boxster S had the same 14 way power seats.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm sure someone will be THRILLED to take over that 911-50 order! I love my Cayman S, but that 911-50 is going to be a special car in a few years.
Not as thrilled as I am to be able to get a Cayman S. :banana: I guess if the 991-50 sat in the garage, covered, for 30 or 40 years, it may be worth more to a collector; but there are much better ways to invest money. I need a car to drive and I was intending to drive the 991-50 daily anyways so not sure if there would be much benefit on resale value after moderate to heavy usage.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I was at the unveiling of the 911-50 at the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart.

That car is so amazing in person!

The checkered seats, the chrome outer accents, the color, the green lit gauges...... oh baby. It's really really special.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Like you, I'm 6'4" with 36 inseam but (ahem) a few pounds heavier. I also found there to be more room in the Cayman, with the right combination of seat aft and back angle adjustment, and wheel movement. I went ahead and ordered the manual SportSeats Plus.

My problem with the Boxster was the headroom and view out the windshield. Someone mentioned in another thread that the Boxster has a thicker top on the windshield to support the top latching mechanism. This may be what was causing me to never find a comfortable position with the seat, since it required the back angle to be greater and the seat closer to the pedals.

Glad you were able to find a comfortable 981.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I was at Monticello this weekend as well with my dad. No way we were hitting those speeds in my group - we got stuck behind a seriously pokey pair. Our only good lap was first right behind the instructor, which of course was a little tame since it was the first. Glad you got to wind them out!

I can't imagine why a C would have more room than a B, but it seems you did your due diligence and have proven the theorem.

BTW, the manual sport seats plus are phenomenal - much more comfy than the standard seats, and I'm a relatively narrow dude.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts